It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 10:31

Page 5 of 10 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's the worst anime you've ever seen?
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 23:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well it's the shittiest Sentai show I've ever seen. Why is there no team? Why do the robots bleed constantly? Where is the concern for children? Why is it so high budget?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 10:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Why is there no team?

Have you actually seen the show?

signofzeta wrote:
Why do the robots bleed constantly?
Why is it so high budget?

Why not?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 17:34 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

forper wrote:
Eva was just the last show to have the same level of passion and almost unecessary detail that the 80s shows had. I mean the mundane details of everyday things like the interior of Asuka's car, the "SDAT" walkman Shinji has, Asuka's kitchen with the fridge and retractable beer rack. Just perfection and the essence of anime to me. I mean I watch a show like Maison Ikkoku and the interiors in that are so nostalgic. I lived in places EXACTLY like that. I actually used the station depicted in the show daily and it's rendered beautifully. Eva had that level of realistic daily life detail.

Then there's the mecha. Sure not to everyone's taste, but ORIGINAL and cool imo. Sentai inspired but beautifully over designed in a Gainax kinda way.

Then there's the graphics, the fonts, everything. Everything is DESIGNED. Not just incidental. The whole look of the show is phenomenal.

Sure the story fell down at the end and it was like WTF? But yeah, like I said anime ended sometime during Eva. Then again I consider Macross II the end of Macross and don't subscribe to the Kawamori-verse. A viewpoint that's had me banned from Macrossworld.com

Asuka doesn't have a car Misato does and also Misato has the apartment with beer. just to clarify

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 19:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Why is there no team?

Have you actually seen the show?

signofzeta wrote:
Why do the robots bleed constantly?
Why is it so high budget?

Why not?

It's not a matter of why, it's a matter of why you consider something that has no Sentai spirit whatsoever to be Sentai.

Sentai is cheap, almost zero budget, sometimes principle photography of an action cut will take literally 5 seconds to block and light because they work that fast. It's the opposite of animation, let alone well budgeted animation.

There is no team, as I said. Everyone hates each other and they almost never fight as a group, never as a large group, and never outside of their crap robots.

The robots are crap. They barely work. They inspire no confidence, no "save the day" moment because they are each twice as dangerous as Godzilla. Not Sentai.

I've seen Eva, I've seen more Sentai. Saying they are the same is like saying Saw is the same as Mr Rogers because they both have people wearing shoes in them.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 19:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:

I've seen Eva, I've seen more Sentai. Saying they are the same is like saying Saw is the same as Mr Rogers because they both have people wearing shoes in them.

Wow and here I though they were the same :|

Now I really want to watch Eva.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 19:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'm glad I did my part.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 20:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Wow and here I though they were the same :|

Now I really want to watch Eva.

Just keep your expectations on the low side and you won't be disappointed.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 09:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The worst anime I've ever seen is usually that way because it's really boring.

I recently watched Brave Exkaiser and despite being a bland and repetitive MOTW show like it's successor Fighbird, it still manages to be significantly less entertaining on the account of it's stiffer protagonists and incredibly low-stakes villains which just makes the constant punishment they receive feel over the top and undeserved.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 10:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Interesting Subject,

Unlike a handful of movies that I purchased on DVD's & Blu-Ray watched and then crushed them in the bin However, with ANIME those that I chose very carefully have been good.

In recent years I tend to try before I buy, viewing the interested content online websites first.

Now that I have embraced 4K Blu-Ray with around 12 approximate titles a year or less these in most cases would be viewed at the Showcase Cinema First and then at release around 50% of these are imported from the USA, as I prefer the refined packaging, Picture and in a number of cases 7.1 over the 5.1 alternative UK EU alternative.

Japanese versions are also considered, and I usually purchase the collectors editions but not tin covers, and this in most cases is purely down to the unnecessary elevated price of such items.

Years ago I would have done so however, reduced available funds have forced this to happen and that's ok.

So So far so good with regards ANIME and may this continue with confidence.

Kind Regards to everyone here.

:thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 17:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Eva was the most popular show for 20 years. There aren't enough autistic people in the world to build that many gross "Rei in bandages, so erotic..." garage kits. You're weird for NOT liking it.

Btw, the mecha in Full Metal Panic are like rental cars. Occasionally realistic but not very cool or exciting. Try Gunbuster, MADOX, Macross, Gundam, etc. Something with some GUTS dammit. Eva is headache anime, not mecha anime.

Full Metal Panic is an okay anime, but I agree the mecha designs are kinda meh.

Macross is great, especially the original and DYRL. I need to watch Plus again, hell I just ordered the dvds, they are cheap. Which makes me feel slightly less dirtier, though I still paid for a Manga release. But I'm sure they did the LDs here, meaning the Japanese LDs are the only way to go if you are getting LDs.

For Gundam I prefer the UC timeline. Thankfully all available on stunning BDs now. Char's Counterattack has great animation. Origin is newer but very good.

As for the actual topic here, I've seen some stinkers. Hard to say what the worst is. Maybe Pupa, that was complete trash. There is a lot of s**t in the bottom of the trash can though. Especially fantasy and sci-fi stuff. Dark Cat was so bad I didn't finish it. Lots of stuff that is weirdly sexual (like Dark Cat) that just sucks. I'm not opposed to nudes or sex in a movie when the situation calls for it, but it's often just there to be there in anime. Then there is the fact that lots of anime have just absurd garbage stories. Hell Char's Counterattack which I like can be a little tough to follow.

I say all this as someone that on a whole likes anime. The bottom of anything is terrible, if we are being honest. I've just seen a lot more bad anime than I have terrible live action movies. It's easier for me, especially previously to know what to avoid there.

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 20:28 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Probably Love Hina, that garbage put me off anime for years. When I was very young I used to watch a lot of anime, then one of my friends made me watch Love Hina and I just remember thinking what the hell is this? Why am I watching this? Anyway I pretty much forgot about anime for 10 years or so until I went to college and hung out with a bunch of weebs. I find myself watching quite a lot again now mostly for laughs but I have found some that I genuinely like. There are certainly plenty of bad ones that I can think of and more than a few that are so bad their good but since Love Hina is probably the oldest I'll go with that.

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 20:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

All the harem shows and cute girls doing cute things anime are basically the same. It can be a lot of s**t to wade through.

If you are interested in newer anime that is more serious in tone, check out Golden Kamuy. It has some weird animation issues at times but otherwise good.

I recently for a thread on another forum thought about my favourite anime movies. Did a top 10 + 3.

Ghost in the Shell
Angel's Egg
Macross Do You Remember Love?
Perfect Blue
Roujin Z
Paprika
Sword of the Stranger
Patlabor 2
Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack

Akira
Millenium Actress
Ninja Scroll

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2018, 07:09 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Much of the "bad" anime I've seen is only "bad" in that it isn't as good as the truly great works out there.

And then there's "Violence Jack".

Violence Jack is based on a manga series by Nagai Go (he of "Cutey Honey" and "Mazinger Z" fame), and the only way I can describe it is "Fist of the North Star gone wrong." In the aftermath of an apocalyptic earthquake that wrecked most of the Kanto region, Japan has fallen into a lawless ruin where the strong devour the weak. Sometimes literally.

But while "Fist of the North Star" has a hero with some redeeming qualities in Ken, "Violence Jack" has Jack, who exists solely to do horrifyingly violent things to other people for any reason imaginable, including for no reason at all.

It doesn't help that the US release of this short-lived OVA series is chronologically all screwed up (we're talking "Empire Strikes Back"->"Return of the Jedi"->"A New Hope"-style release order here). Even if you watch them in the "correct" order, you're still left with an ugly mess of awful things being done to mostly-innocent people that seems made for shock value. What little story is there can't hope to redeem this mess of non-stop rape, cannibalism, and brutality.

"Violence Jack" makes "M.D. Geist" look like "Perfect Blue". It's that awful. I've yet to find anything which can challenge it for the crown of 'worst anime I have ever seen', but if any of you have suggestions, I'm willing to entertain them. :)

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2018, 09:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

At least Violence Jack is interesting. While there may be a lot of adjectives to describe it, "boring" usually isn't one of them.

I think the biggest sin an anime - or any movie or TV show for that matter - can commit is being completely unremarkable.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 04:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

publius wrote:
What exactly was your disappointment in The Venus Wars?
I thought it was pretty well done, overall.

I'll add my two cents that I though Venus Wars was really quite good. Unfortunately, it was one of my rare Japanese pressings that rotted but luckily I got a replacement early on (however, I haven't checked it lately so I better pull it out again and watch it :roll: ).

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 18:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, it’s not up for debate. Venus Wars is the type of classic we’d be very lucky to get today. It’s not my personal favorite but it’s apex anime from the golden age for sure.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 12:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Love Venus Wars. Had the Kiseki VHS and the manga in the day. One day I'll get the LD.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2018, 15:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

it is precisely BECAUSE VENUS WARS had so much going for it, visually and conceptually, that it ultimately proved so disappointing to me.

the film looks great, sounds great, has great Yasuhiko chara design, even...
but alas, the storytelling... overall, -afraid to say- just simply isn't up to the same level of quality at all.

in sum, the movie was awesome in it's way even so. with a nice, tight story in place, however, it just could have just been SO much better...

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2018, 09:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Worst anime are certainly Hentai animation.
And inside this category, you can find the worst of the worst in term of animation / design / music / scenario.
The worst Hentai animation I ever seen was maybe "熱砂の惑星~女公安官ケイト"
Bondage Queen Kate (1994) [SAL-4022]
Bondage Queen Kate 2 (1995) [SAL-4024]
Hentai animation are so bad, but I love the covers ! Then I collect them just for illustration.
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2018, 15:38 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You’re right. It’s the worst of the worst and then you find something even worse. That’s why in the beginning I said hentai doesn’t count. It would just be a huge list if hentai if it did.

Hentai is like NWA records. They were a big part of many people’s upbringing but nobody actually enjoys it anymore because they are horrible in a dozen ways. They should put hentai in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame too. It’s that bad and obsolete.

Page 5 of 10 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next