It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anime shop in Akihabara?
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2015, 11:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hi!

Currently visiting Akihabara in Tokyo. Quite obvious that I have to source out some anime while I'm here. Anyone know what stores that sell anime Blu-Rays? Currently only visited shops for vintage video games. Have seen some anime in second hand shops, but mostly old DVDs. Would be fun to buy something like the Urusei Yatsura BD set, or that awesome Gundam OVA BD release. Not sure which shop is the best place to go.

Post subject: Re: Anime shop in Akihabara?
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 05:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thought I could follow up this thread with what I discovered on my own.

It doesn't seem like it is a dedicated shop for just DVD/BD. Seems like a store called Sofmap is the best place, up on the top floor of the building. Be warned, they play crazy pop music, ad jingles and the staff shout stuff. Easy to get a headache...

A lot of other stores also stock DVD/BD, so it is spread out all over Akihabara. Eventhough literally every store have huge anime characters on them, they don't necessarily sell anime.

I found part one of the collector set for Gundam The Origin at a store called Book Off.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 19:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

damn... sounds like a shopping trip to Akihabara would totally blow my effin' mind.
no States-side B&M shop of any sort would probably ever suffice again, no matter how specialized.

perhaps in another life i'll be lucky enough to be an Affulent, Frequent Flyer that's also quite fluent in written and spoken Nihongo...

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 21:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I didn't go to Akihabara for anime shops until the last days of my deployment in Japan by the Navy. I usually went there for video game and electronic shops, so I can't remember any really.

I do remember Yodobashi and Media-Land for video games (picked up controllers and a spare power adapter for my Turbo Duo/PCEngine at the former and many many games for the PCE and Sega Saturn at the latter), but can't really recall if they sold much anime stuff.

Granted this was more than 15 years ago, so I can't even be certain if these shops are there anymore.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 23:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Didn't really buy much anime, since they don't have any subtitles. But my main focus was video games, which I got more than enough of! Bought some LDs with Tenchi Muyo and Borgman, also bought Gundam the Origin on blu-ray as well as one called To Love (or trouble, not quite sure of the title). Picked up a few anime related figures as well.

Here is a few pictures from Akihabara and what I got:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 01:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Cant believe you actually found laserdiscs there. I havent seena ny there in several years, where did you dig those up, or where they in the garbege bins outside ?

In the otaku streets in Osaka there was actually a kareoke player with a big bunch of maybe 50 dics thrown next to the corner trash bin on the street, so it does happen, lol.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 15:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The places I found laserdiscs were Mandarake and Hard Off. Mandarake had a couple of crates tucked in a corner on the top floor inbetween some BD/DVD shelves. Hard Off had dozens of crates with vinyl records that also have laserdiscs mixed with them. Found some Tenchi Muyo box sets at Mandarake in complete, mint condition, priced at around 500 yen. Single discs were about 100 yen each. Those prices were the same at Hard Off too.

Some second hand video game shops also stocked laserdiscs. Though, they were either games for MSX computers, or those "how to beat this game" instruction videos. The game LDs were quite pricey compared to regular movies.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]