It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:06

Page 2 of 3 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Which are the oldest anime pressings ?
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 06:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Cant tell you, i remember reading some Video catalog with title "Ulises Misteries of time"

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 14:42 
Site Admin
Site Admin

signofzeta wrote:
I don’t remember that name from when it ran on Super Sunday or whatever in the US. I think it was Ulysses 3000 or something like that.

French title was "Ulysse 31" because it takes place in the 31st century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_31

Just sold the French song EP last week!

https://www.discogs.com/Shuki-Levy-Haim-Saban-Ulysse-31-Revient/release/1015252

Julien

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 16:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I knew of this anime only through the toys, I don't believe they ever released it here unless it was during the BOTP time period and that was in certain areas.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 18:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Battle of the Planets was WTBS in like 1979 so it was nationwide but only if you had cable, which at the time was 13 channels and one of them was usually Turners “Superstation”.

Ulysses was way later, I’d guess 1984 for US TV. It was sold to UHF stations to beaf up their weekend block. The music was done by Haim Saban and Shuki Levy, who seemed to have a hand in almost everything that was imported in any way from Japan or France. The Littles, Pole Position, Inspector Gadget, it’s crazy how much stuff they did. Seriously, IMDB those guys.

I can’t think of Ulysses as just being “French” since it was animated in Japan and had a major toy tie in there for the featured ship in the show. It’s an international production like Mysterious Cities of Gold and most of what DIC did later.

Now Les Mondes Engloutis, that’s a “French” show for sure. It doesn’t have Chougokin toy, for example. I don’t have a credits list but I’d assume it did use overseas labor...just not for all the designs and production. That’s a guess in my part though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 20:01 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I love Mysterious Cities of Gold! Was there ever a LD release of that? I've got the deluxe box which was hard to find and pretty rare in the US.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 00:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ertoili wrote:
Another famous japanese co-productions directed by him; Once upon a time...space

I've wanted to watch this series so bad for years but I can't find it in French AND with english subtitles anywhere and it makes me so ANGRY

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 00:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There is no Cities of Gold LD. I have some old Animage and Newtypes and stuff where they talk about it but for whatever reason no home video release in Japan.

They made a WiiU game for that series. I didn’t buy it but it sure did surprise me to see that. I missed the DVD. I waited 30 years and missed the window. Same with The Chipmunk Adventure (1987) which is always uncommon on video. It hit Blu-ray in 2014 and I didn’t even see it.

Re: Ulysses: I did some YouTubing and such and I think I may have been wrong about the Sunday thing. The one I was thinking of seems to be exclusive to Marvel/Sunbow shows. Now I’m questioning if it wasn’t daily. Most anime was made into daily series for the US since they would always have six or twelve month block of episodes.

I know I had a comic book with an ad for Ulysses on US TV but I don’t know if I have it anymore...

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 00:41 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
ertoili wrote:
Another famous japanese co-productions directed by him; Once upon a time...space

I've wanted to watch this series so bad for years but I can't find it in French AND with english subtitles anywhere and it makes me so ANGRY

I refuse to buy it until I can watch it in the original Greek.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 01:38 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

WTH? How did I miss this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myste ... _TV_series) maybe that is where the WiiU game was for?

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 06:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don’t think so. The WiiU game looked exactly like the original series. It took some will power to not buy it but I persevered. I’m sure it’s garbage.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 12:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I refuse to buy it until I can watch it in the original Greek.

No need to be sarcastic.

The Albert Barille cartoons have been all over the place when it comes to translations. Because it's a "kids' cartoon", it doesn't get treated the same way and is thus subject to nothing but the lowest effort home video releases - they didn't even dub the whole series into Finnish until they released on DVD, and even then it was a dub only release - previously only a small handful of episodes had been released in Finnish, fewer with an actual dub and mostly with a Swedish dub and Finnish subtitles, and those were the ones I had on tape (all two of them, out of what I think was ten tapes altogether so it still wasn't the whole series).

It's not just kids' shows either - if you're interested at all in any TV series that isn't in English or maybe Japanese, you're pretty much SOL if you want to watch it but don't know that language.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 17:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I know. I’ve been there with stuff like this before and Ulysses is for sure #1 on the list. Does a high quality version of the old English dub exist on an official release?

Sorta related: Koala Boy Kokki. It seems to not exist on video anywhere except maybe a partial release on JP VHS but I’m not sure about that either. It’s kids stuff, so nobody cares. The studio’s next and final work was Nausicaa which was more popular than The Beatles so nobody missed it back then and it’s probably gone forever now.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 18:56 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:
I don’t think so. The WiiU game looked exactly like the original series. It took some will power to not buy it but I persevered. I’m sure it’s garbage.

I looked it up. yeah it does seem more like the original also looks like garbage too. The wii U never appeal to me anyway. I was kinda disappointed with my Wii but love the 3DS.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 19:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I know. I’ve been there with stuff like this before and Ulysses is for sure #1 on the list. Does a high quality version of the old English dub exist on an official release?

Sorta related: Koala Boy Kokki. It seems to not exist on video anywhere except maybe a partial release on JP VHS but I’m not sure about that either. It’s kids stuff, so nobody cares. The studio’s next and final work was Nausicaa which was more popular than The Beatles so nobody missed it back then and it’s probably gone forever now.

I think you've mention that show before. Even anime isn't safe from obscurity in the absence of translation if it's not a huge "classic" in any sense of the word, and even that isn't always enough to save them (I think someone has only recently started translating the 60's Tetsujin 28). I myself am still waiting and hoping for a subbed release of Jugo Shōnen Hyōryūki, aka Adrift in the Pacific, an early 80's anime movie based on a Jules Verne novel that I saw on a dubbed VHS as a wee lad but it's pretty elusive today. I don't think I've even seen a raw of it floating around.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 00:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

A lot of that stuff based on western literature was sold to dozens of markets but still ends up almost impossible to find since it was TV-only in most if not all territories.

I used to think, “Dang, pretty much all anime hit LD in Japan at some point” but probably it isn’t even %25.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2019, 12:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
A lot of that stuff based on western literature was sold to dozens of markets but still ends up almost impossible to find since it was TV-only in most if not all territories.

I used to think, “Dang, pretty much all anime hit LD in Japan at some point” but probably it isn’t even %25.

and whats your problem with VHS ? you can find all of them , just need a small tv and a very capable 4Head vcr

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2019, 16:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It looks like crap, usually sounds like crap, and the tapes wear out. Back in the day VHS was a necessary evil for rental and recording but LD was the only format I’d spend money on. I’m not a “retro collector” or whatever, I just never stopped buying LDs. I don’t think I’m going to change my mind of about VHS now. I have a few and that’s it.

However that wasn’t really my point. When I’m talking about Koala Boy or the five different anime versions of Little Women even VHS isn’t really an option. My dream would be a complete LD box. Complete VHS boxes are very uncommon in Japan. (Although I have a catalog number for a complete Holmes Detective LD box which must have been both HUGE and HUGELY EXPENSIVE.)

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2019, 16:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It absolutely sucks that various old anime may not even exist outside of Japanese tape traders that recorded stuff. Insane really.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2019, 18:24 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I don't understand why some of the Japanese VHS collectors who have tapes dating since the early days don't upload and make a digital archive since I lot of those programs will be lost and probably are getting to an unwatchable of state.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2019, 19:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I wonder if the Christian Broadcasting Network still has all their broadcast tapes of Superbook and The Flying House.

Page 2 of 3 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next