It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ghibli Collection from Hong Kong
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 19:21 
Second post
Second post

Hello,

I am new around here and I am so pleased to see this forum still active with people interested in LDs. When I was a child, I fell in love with the Hong Kong dubbed versions of the Ghibli movies, particularly Castle in the Sky, Totoro, Kiki's Delivery, Fireflies of the Graveyard.

My family used to love to rent LDs and record it onto VHS. Over the years, my parents split and the VHS collection remained with my Mom and I. Due to use having to move quite a bit for financial reasons, we eventually gave up the VHS and the LD player. I later learned that the VCD and DVD versions are dubbed with a different script and voices. It's just not the same.

These movies represent a simpler time in my childhood and I'm now on a hunt to locate the LD versions of these movies to be able to capture a digital copy to share with my own kids one day.

Haven't had much luck on the active shops so I thought I would try here. I don't need to own the discs, I am just looking to see if there is anyone out there out willing to share their digital files if they had these movies ripped. Would be immensely grateful.

Thank you!

Attachments:
Ghibli Hong Kong.PNG
Ghibli Hong Kong.PNG [ 35.52 KiB | Viewed 1669 times ]

Post subject: Re: Ghibli Collection from Hong Kong
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 00:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I didn’t realize those releases had dubs on them. Do you mean English or Chinese?

If you mean English, are you %100 sure they aren’t originally other dubs? Pre-Disney the only dubs I know of are the ones they made for JAL in-flight movies and the ones Carl Macek did. CPM may have dubbed Fireflies early enough for it to be on an HK LD but I don’t know.

Regardless, those things show on eBay all the time. At least I assume it’s HK versions. I know they aren’t US or Japan and they have Chinese characters all over them.

The JP box set is easy to find and still goes for good prices sometimes. It has several dubs in it, some of which may be the ones you want.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 00:39 
Second post
Second post

Thanks for responding :)
I was looking for Chinese, specifically for Cantonese. The Hong Kong versions don’t have English dubs, just Japanese and Cantonese. Unfortunately I haven’t found a Hong Kong version on eBay. They seem to be quite rare.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019, 18:09 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have the HK release of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind with a Cantonese dub.

I'd be willing to sell it if you'd like.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 02:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Castle in the Sky was just on ebay for a buck.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]