It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:16

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Does anyone have Toei's Yu-Gi-Oh! Movie (1999) on Laserd
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 07:23 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:
People who won’t pay $40 for a Blu-ray and won’t pay any money at all for music are somehow the target audience.

Man I wish the Anime Blue-Ray's I got were only $40, the JoJo sets are all $70 at launch. Great amount of extras tossed in though, and the picture/audio quality is stellar- It's a shame they didn't bundle digital copies at that price though.

Also for a person who's never seen ANY Gundam, where the hell do I start?

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 15:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
That being said, good new anime comes out a lot. It’s just work to find it and it’s probably for TV and therefore a trillion padded cheap episodes. Also the number of high school settings is just insane. It’s as bad as the cop/doctor thing with American TV.

The Gundam being produced lately is very good. I wasn’t expecting to like Gundam Narrative as much as I did. I think I may actually be a little younger than the target audience for that though and I was born in 73...

Agree. There is definitely stuff I like, the Gundam stuff is amazing. Such as Origin. Somehow Narrative slipped past me, but I'm definitely going to check it out now.

pokefraker wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Man I wish the Anime Blue-Ray's I got were only $40, the JoJo sets are all $70 at launch. Great amount of extras tossed in though, and the picture/audio quality is stellar- It's a shame they didn't bundle digital copies at that price though.

Probably the condensed movie trilogy of the original series.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 15:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I can't even figure what is going on with newer anime, and when I do watch it its so bubblegum I can't stand it.
Its just all made for Otaku's anyway, back in the day they made anime for people not fanboys, but fanboys took it over.

Was searching up GE999 last night and it made me want to watch the series I own on LD again, all 113 episodes.
Boy that's an amazing series.

It's kind of sad but Galaxy Express 999 was the defining anime for me as a kid. Of course back then I just liked it because TRAINS IN SPACE!!! but then as an adult I saw the movie and I freakin' loved it, but then I watched the anime and...it really didn't go so well for me.

Also I've tried to explain my issue with fanservice to a friend at one point but I can't remember what his response was, but I see a lot of people try to use token pervert character in older shows as an example of how it's always been a thing, but those characters are pretty much exclusively used as a joke, and how the role of the pervert has effectively now been shifted to the audience. Random gratuitous shots in the middle of otherwise serious scenes? Screw that noise. That's one of the reasons I'd still rather rewatch the original Yamato over the remake.

pokefraker wrote:

The original series. Always go for production order.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 21:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I would recommend the film versions of the first series over the series itself. They are basically better and shorter which is what people starting out want. The show has a weird flow because of how it got cancelled early. The movies have a lot of new animation that was made after Gundam became popular and it’s for sure worth seeing. Also the music.

If you’re hardcore you want both of course to see all the robots and IMO one of the character deaths is a lot more impactful in the TV series. I have both on LD and have seen the TV series twice and the movies probably four times. The movies are for sure the better product which at the time was the point anyway.

I was a bit late getting to Gundam since it had no US release so I started out with a VHS copy of the CCA LD in like 91 and worked my way back. The original Gundam series not being on video at all until 1998 kinda delayed things too. Because of this I was mainly into Zeta until relatively recently.

Try:

Movies I-III
Zeta Gundam (TV series)
ZZ Gundam (TV series)
Char’s Counterattack

That’s all of the main storyline of the pre-digital era. This resumed in the 21st century with Origin (before all that) and Unicorn/NT (after all that).

There are movie versions of Zeta Gundam too but they were made decades after the series and have serious aesthetic issues. Still, if you’re hardcore you want them because the new animation is incredible.

https://youtu.be/ReCqIymqV9A

I like 999 a lot, mainly the movies in the Galaxy Box. I like the Star Trek style weekly ride to another planet thing from the manga in general but the movies I really liked. The ending of the second one in particular...heavy stuff, I did not think she was going to do that...

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 22:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I like 999 a lot, mainly the movies in the Galaxy Box. I like the Star Trek style weekly ride to another planet thing from the manga in general but the movies I really liked. The ending of the second one in particular...heavy stuff, I did not think she was going to do that...

The individual stories in 999 were fine, it's just as a whole that leaves a lot to be desired. It seems like they didn't have much of a story bible or nobody read it, because of the wildly contradictory stuff involving pretty much anything that isn't the main characters themselves. Pretty much every single episode of the entire first quarter of the series is just about somebody trying to steal Tetsuro's ticket for example, which is made increasingly more difficult by some retconned rule about it every time. Stuff like that.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 22:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Spot on as expected Zeta.

If you end up liking the movies watch the series I do think it is worthwhile. I actually started with the original tv series but like Zeta said it has an odd flow. Zeta Gundam itself is probably the peak of Gundam tv series.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2