It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:57

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Angel Cop?
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 12:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hello!

I was watching an old favourite of mine, Angel Cop, on the new Retro Crush app yesterday. One thing that bugs me though is the dub is a bit poo.

I'm not a fan of dubs of anything. Anime or other. I prefer to watch stuff as God intended.

Which leads me to wondering, is Angel Cop available on Laserdisc in a subbed form? I'm aware it was released on Blu Ray but again, I didn't see a subbed version. Also, I think Angel Cop was censored before coming out West? It was certainly censored in Europe at least, possibly not North America.

Looking for the same with Mad Bull 34. I can't stand the awful dub that Manga Video put out. Is there a subbed and uncut version available on LD or better?

Post subject: Re: Angel Cop?
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 12:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Angel-Co ... ay/206403/

Subtitled BD.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 13:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Perfect! I didn't spot it for some reason so thank you. I thought it was just the dub.

Right Stuff have it on their website for sale but as usual, international shipping to anywhere outside the USA just breaks hearts and souls. I'm getting it right now from WOW instead.

I did some more reading up this. The reason the Blu looks so soft is because of the source they used. Discotek used an original Betamax master which I think was a 1st gen tape from the original source; which was what? A broadcast Betamax as it wasn't shot on film?

Doesn't matter to me. It's highly doubtful we will ever see a better transfer of Angel Cop so I'll take what I can get. Is it 100% uncensored though? Taking the source tape in to account again my hunch is it is?

Probably a good time to pick up the Blu, I don't think the print run for this would be particularly high. Also, I'm drawing blanks on any LD's at all. Did find a Japanese DVD box set though!

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 13:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
Perfect! I didn't spot it for some reason so thank you. I thought it was just the dub.

Right Stuff have it on their website for sale but as usual, international shipping to anywhere outside the USA just breaks hearts and souls. I'm getting it right now from WOW instead.

I did some more reading up this. The reason the Blu looks so soft is because of the source they used. Discotek used an original Betamax master which I think was a 1st gen tape from the original source; which was what? A broadcast Betamax as it wasn't shot on film?

Doesn't matter to me. It's highly doubtful we will ever see a better transfer of Angel Cop so I'll take what I can get. Is it 100% uncensored though? Taking the source tape in to account again my hunch is it is?

Probably a good time to pick up the Blu, I don't think the print run for this would be particularly high. Also, I'm drawing blanks on any LD's at all. Did find a Japanese DVD box set though!

Your welcome, hope you enjoy it.

It should be uncensored (I don't think Discotek has a history of censoring) but I don't have this particular BD to check.

As far as print run I was recently listening to a podcast with Justin Sevakis and he said some of their smaller titles are lucky to sell 1000 copies. Not sure if Angel Cop is in that range but it definitely re-affirmed that I should be buying anything from them that I want pretty quickly. He said stuff like Lupin pays for multiple other releases essentially.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 15:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Done. Bought.

This is one of those times where it's not worth hesitating to pull the trigger. The effort that went in to making that Angel Cop Blu Ray is worth the asking price alone.

No time to lose. Get it or regret it!

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 16:48 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You won’t find many censored US anime releases. Not after the market got going. In fact there are many OVAs where only the US version is uncut.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 18:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

gypsy wrote:
As far as print run I was recently listening to a podcast with Justin Sevakis and he said some of their smaller titles are lucky to sell 1000 copies. Not sure if Angel Cop is in that range but it definitely re-affirmed that I should be buying anything from them that I want pretty quickly. He said stuff like Lupin pays for multiple other releases essentially.

Its hard to believe but also on the other end its amazing that any company can waste time to make such a limited run of stuff like that
to only sell 1000 copies.

Shark Tank would be telling you to take it in the back and shoot it for that small amount of profit.

Makes sense why they don't make DVDs and Blurays anymore, too much overhead but then they get to stream it and charge.

Now only if some overseas company will release bootlegs of Legend of The Galactic Heroes.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 18:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Its hard to believe but also on the other end its amazing that any company can waste time to make such a limited run of stuff like that
to only sell 1000 copies.

Shark Tank would be telling you to take it in the back and shoot it for that small amount of profit.

Makes sense why they don't make DVDs and Blurays anymore, too much overhead but then they get to stream it and charge.

Now only if some overseas company will release bootlegs of Legend of The Galactic Heroes.

They are basically getting a lot of that stuff out there just to do it, which is pretty awesome. Now of course there are other good sellers besides Lupin, the Leiji stuff and Orange Road are pretty big sellers too. It's just the really niche things such as the tokusatsu shows they put out and I believe some of the mecha sold really low numbers as well.

Worth noting they are basically done with DVD. They just don't sell apparently. They are seeing Lupin the Third Part II releases through for consistency reasons but everything after that will be on BD. If it's standard def there will be only SDBD, no DVD release.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 19:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I love that company. The Unico double feature is a dream Blu-ray come true. Both languages, *incredible* video quality. I would have paid 4x the price.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 20:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Totally understand and agree, its great that they are fan related and doing it to spread the anime but its also sort of a crazy business model.

I'll have to check out Unico as its on free stream from one of these channels on roku.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 20:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Oh my! I didn't see they have Orange Road on Blu Ray too! I love the work that went in to putting Angel Cop out there. 50 passes of a Betamax tape and the rest of the work too. Unreal. Stuff like this needs supporting else it will be lost forever. Support these boutique labels!

Just saw Vinegar Syndrome has a 4K UHD release of Rad coming in May that is using the original camera negative. Not just that, Dynamo is coming to Blu Ray in May too. Argh! My poor wallet.

Well, it's not really the time to be buying stuff during a pandemic... :oops:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 20:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think Prime has one of the Unico movies.

There are two. The first one is a bit lighter and introduces the story idea. The second one is one of the weirdest movies I’ve ever seen. Both are great but the second one, Island of Magic, is really something else. English or Japanese, it doesn’t matter, I think I’d actually recommend the English. This was a global release so it’s a correct sounding period dub, not some cheap afterthought. You’ll recognize the voice actors from other dubbed anime from the 70s and 80s.

This was just before the anime industry had its first down period and it shows. Cels are super clean for something from Japan or anywhere really. Lots of very talented Tezuka people worked on these.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 23:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
Oh my! I didn't see they have Orange Road on Blu Ray too! I love the work that went in to putting Angel Cop out there. 50 passes of a Betamax tape and the rest of the work too. Unreal. Stuff like this needs supporting else it will be lost forever. Support these boutique labels!

Just saw Vinegar Syndrome has a 4K UHD release of Rad coming in May that is using the original camera negative. Not just that, Dynamo is coming to Blu Ray in May too. Argh! My poor wallet.

Well, it's not really the time to be buying stuff during a pandemic... :oops:

I was pretty blown away by how good the KOR blu looks. I still need to put in City Hunter even though I've seen those episodes just to see how it looks. Maybe after I finish Yakuza 5 (fun game but very long especially when going for full completion).

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 08:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:

My ex-friend bought all the bootleg subbed DVDs of LOTGH in Chinatown in the '90s/early 2000s. He was a massive fan, I never was. But he's seen them all, subbed and still has them. Not sure who released em, probably some HK company.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 08:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
This was just before the anime industry had its first down period and it shows. Cels are super clean for something from Japan or anywhere really. Lots of very talented Tezuka people worked on these.

I'm a fan of Macek's dub of a later Minky Momo movie I saw on TV one Sunday in Australia circa 1998, is this s**t really better than Macek Minky Momo?

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 15:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
rein-o wrote:

My ex-friend bought all the bootleg subbed DVDs of LOTGH in Chinatown in the '90s/early 2000s. He was a massive fan, I never was. But he's seen them all, subbed and still has them. Not sure who released em, probably some HK company.

Yeah, I don't think I'm a fan much but did like the one or two OVAs I've had.

There is a person on ebay who is asking 650 for his set, really sad that they paid 1k and now are taking a hit due to crorna19

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 16:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
forper wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Yeah, I don't think I'm a fan much but did like the one or two OVAs I've had.

There is a person on ebay who is asking 650 for his set, really sad that they paid 1k and now are taking a hit due to crorna19

It's $800 retail not $1000. I think we are due to see more of this kind of thing. People selling non-essentials as they need the money. I'm not seeing that listing, I wonder if it already sold.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 17:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

:think: Don't know why I thought 1K

Anyway here is the link, 610.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Legend-of-the-Galactic-Heroes-Official-Sentai-LE-26xBlu-Ray-Box-Set/392742554715?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 23:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:

I wonder how low they would go... Hmmmmm

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]