It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:14

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: That was a nice Laserdisc Present to get!
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 08:04 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Was it part of the Akira LD Box at some point?

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k444830261

Attachment:
i-img1123x1200-1582972602mree8a67684.jpg
i-img1123x1200-1582972602mree8a67684.jpg [ 945.7 KiB | Viewed 3656 times ]

Attachment:
i-img1200x751-1582972602cppclp67684.jpg
i-img1200x751-1582972602cppclp67684.jpg [ 628.76 KiB | Viewed 3656 times ]

Currently at $1,650.

Julien

Post subject: Re: That was a nice Laserdisc Present to get!
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 13:05 
Serious fan
Serious fan

a thousand six hundred and fifty dollars ?! :shock:
Will someone ever buy it at this price though ?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 13:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ryosaeba84 wrote:
a thousand six hundred and fifty dollars ?! :shock:

Higher now, it has bids. :shock:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 14:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ryosaeba84 wrote:

It already had lots of bids.

US$1,865 right now.

Julien

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 14:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Those Akira cels are hot stuff.

Surprisingly, considering from what I heard, a whole bunch of them got auctioned off in the US back in the day.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 17:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

admin wrote:

Julien

No, I bought my set new and sealed never had this.

Price is really just due to pop culture stuff and people having stupid Tesla money right now.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 17:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

That is one hell of a tasty item.

One heck of a ripe price though.

Wonder what price it will end at.

Cheers

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 17:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You guys think $2k is a lot for a cel? Do you follow animation at all? Do you know what cels are? Decent Ghibli cells these days are over $5000. Disney cels can easily fetch five figures.

I wouldn't assume it was LD related but the auction title says it is. It seems to be large format so the envelope is too big to fit in a regular LD box. Akira had huge push back in the day so it could have been promo from a magazine or a TV show or a con or any number of things. Akira fans probably know. It could have been a pre-sale thing too. In Japan sometimes you'd get a free 8" LD or a book or something for pre-ordering something.

Aside from the envelope it comes in I'd say the cel is probably not that special. It does have the main guy on his bike so that's major but its got no doga, no background, no FX layer. It is still Akira though so this is worth at least $800 without the envelope. My guess is that most of the cels used in this promotion were probably of similar quality; good drawings but unimpressive cels.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 17:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The time to buy anime cels was long ago. They just don't interest me at these price points but it is reasonable for art.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 18:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There are still lots of cels out there for $40 that are very nice. Akira stuff was always expensive.

The best time was back in the day though, of course. Now there is no new supply. Its amazing prices haven't skyrocketed. Maybe when 90s kids figure out what they are they'll do to cels what they're doing to video games and action figures now.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 18:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
You guys think $2k is a lot for a cel? Do you follow animation at all? Do you know what cels are? Decent Ghibli cells these days are over $5000. Disney cels can easily fetch five figures.

I wouldn't assume it was LD related but the auction title says it is. It seems to be large format so the envelope is too big to fit in a regular LD box. Akira had huge push back in the day so it could have been promo from a magazine or a TV show or a con or any number of things. Akira fans probably know. It could have been a pre-sale thing too. In Japan sometimes you'd get a free 8" LD or a book or something for pre-ordering something.

Aside from the envelope it comes in I'd say the cel is probably not that special. It does have the main guy on his bike so that's major but its got no doga, no background, no FX layer. It is still Akira though so this is worth at least $800 without the envelope. My guess is that most of the cels used in this promotion were probably of similar quality; good drawings but unimpressive cels.

In answer to your three questions yes & I would think that most people here know what they are looking at & exactly what cels are.

I think also most will know the the so called "value" of items like this are but whatever it is still a hefty price for me & probably most people, would still like to own it though but again not at that price.

As for the envelope it clearly has LaserDisc on it so I would think it is safe to assume it is related even if it is in some rather obscure way, all in all pretty cool all round to my eyes.

As for the cel being "probably not that special" it has Akira on it & any background or anything else would be on one or more other cel(s) - I think it is a very cool cel.

It would be really good if someone knew exactly what the background is on this & posted the details here, if anyone does please update.

Again a cool thing to my eyes & thanks for posting it here Julien.

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2020, 00:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
There are still lots of cels out there for $40 that are very nice. Akira stuff was always expensive.

The best time was back in the day though, of course. Now there is no new supply. Its amazing prices haven't skyrocketed. Maybe when 90s kids figure out what they are they'll do to cels what they're doing to video games and action figures now.

Again prices of this stuff have to do with pop culture and what is talked about.

They aren't talking about any Ralph Bakshi stuff now so his stuff is worthless in compareson to Akira which they
were talking about making a live action film of.

Akira cels were always expensive, I think when Streamline had it they were selling some cels back in the day starting at 200?
Remember seeing some asking at 500 at Forbidden Planet.

Anyway I remember buying a Coonskin cel for 60 bucks straight from Bakshi, cels are tricky, if they aren't screen used or
if they don't have the characters backgrounds etc they are worth nothing.

I remember seeing a buch of stuff about 10 years ago on ebay from Samurai Pizza Cats, they were priced around 2-3 bucks each
sold in lots.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2020, 08:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
As for the cel being "probably not that special" it has Akira on it

That's Kaneda

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2020, 11:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:
je280 wrote:
As for the cel being "probably not that special" it has Akira on it

That's Kaneda

Thanks & yes it is..... typing in haste!

Excuse my muppetery :oops:

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2020, 15:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

je280 wrote:

In answer to your three questions yes & I would think that most people here know what they are looking at & exactly what cels are.

You’d be surprised. A lot of people have a very poor understanding of how animation is made. Many people don’t get what cels are. They don’t understand that every single one is a unique hand painted copy of a unique drawing. A lot of people think those cheesy lithographs that Disney and Warner Bros sold in malls for sometimes over $1000 are cels. Probably because that’s what the sellers call them. When you say, “Oh, I thought you meant an actual cel.” They say “it is a cel, it cost more than any of that rough anime garbage you collect!” and you have to explain that all the garbage is unique but this picture of Aladdin and the Genie was issued in a quantity of 1000 and there were no cels used in Aladdin regardless of what the seal of authenticity says.

Quote:
As for the envelope it clearly has LaserDisc on it so I would think it is safe to assume it is related even if it is in some rather obscure way,
...ah yes, I was looking too hard at the Japanese. :)

Quote:
As for the cel being "probably not that special" it has Akira on it & any background or anything else would be on one or more other cel(s) - I think it is a very cool cel.

Backgrounds aren’t usually on cels they are generally on paper. Other characters may have been on other cels or not, it depends. There are no other characters in this cut though so that’s not what I mean. The doga is the paper drawing the cel was traced from.

In this case it’s possible that the background still exists somewhere paired with a very similar cel. There’s only one background and maybe dozens of cels before the next cut. Having the entire stack up of this frame would be the ideal. A background, then all the cels (some perhaps with just FX, dirt, debris) would be as good as possible and then the original doga (drawing) as well. This is just a cel, so it could have its doga as many often do come paired with. It’s possible that the background is lost or like I said some lucky guy has the whole stack up framed. In that case there are a dozen or so other dudes who have all the other cels that went with the background.

My point was that minus the rest of the stuff this cel isn’t top tier for an Akira cel but it’s still pretty good because it’s Akira and the bike is on there with Canada/Kaneda (pronunciation varies by dub). One guy close to the production may have built the stack up and every other cel in the cut would have been either given away like this was or professionally destroyed. Cels are unrecycle-able so if you just shot a movie and half a pickup truck full of what is now garbage it’s more expedient to pitch them than to find fans. Most cels are just a hubcap or a guys foot or something which makes it even less motivational. Fans love them more than anything though. Nothing is cooler than a cell to an animation fan.

EDIT: one thing I forgot...usually, if possible, the cel/doga that are paired with the backgrounds are the frames drawn by the key animator for that cut and the giveaways are from in between frames. If you know who the key animator is then you’d care, in this case I haven’t a clue. I bought a cel from Only Yesterday and the guy had a run of three or four very similar cels, I’d assume all from in-betweeners. Somebody in that case almost certain has a cel very similar to mine but also the BG.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2020, 06:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I bought a cel from Only Yesterday and the guy had a run of three or four very similar cels, I’d assume all from in-betweeners. Somebody in that case almost certain has a cel very similar to mine but also the BG.

We are really matter and anti-matter. If I was going to buy a cell the last title I would get it from is Only Yesterday. I recently watched it for the first time and it was the absolute worst. I mean 30 minutes of the flick is about the girl getting her period. Then the rest is some pro-Japan farming protectionism piece of propaganda. Not surprising coming from Takahata, the Japan world war 2 apologist director. He has to be my most hated director.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2020, 07:24 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Now now, forper - I just watched Takahata's "Tale of Princess Kaguya" in the theater and it was a nicely told ancient fairytale you could safely watch without worry of flashbacks of the Bataan Death March...promise! :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2020, 10:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

admin wrote:

Attachment:
i-img1123x1200-1582972602mree8a67684.jpg

Ah, I assume these cels were given away to people who sent in a postcard or something that was included with the LD, probably only a certain number of people who were lucky enough to have their postcards randomly selected.

Kinda similar to the anime series in Japan that had mail-in offers you could get by cutting out the individual stamps from each volume's obi and then pasting it on a postcard.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2020, 20:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

okay, Harlock, each to their own, I'll never bother with Kaguya, I heard it was mediocre rather than political.

yeah the cell was probably definitely a "purezento" mail in offer

Japanese Fashion magazines used to give away some of their feature clothing each issue.

"other" Japanese magazines would give away the worn undergarments of the feature model too...

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2020, 00:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:

Japanese Fashion magazines used to give away some of their feature clothing each issue.

"other" Japanese magazines would give away the worn undergarments of the feature model too...

Really??? :wtf:

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next