Real copy spotted on YAJ.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j634016489

Julien

that would be awfully nice to own...

Post subject: Re: Very, very late Anime Boxset releases in Japan
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 15:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Cool! It doesn’t seem like a particularly lavish box though. Considering how fancy the packaging for Sakura Wars video games often is I was hoping for more.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 15:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tasuke wrote:

that would be awfully nice to own...

It's neat for sure. A bit hard to justify for me when the DVD set (that I already have) is so cheap.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 16:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Especially since it’s sucks. For $100 you can easily have nearly any other anime release on LD in Japan. Almost every series even. Therefore I’d imagine my collection would have to be pretty big before I got this.

If you want a giant LD sized Sakura Wars box set I recommend the Complete Box for Dreamcast. It has all four games in it and a very nice presentation. Also an extra GRROM with all the DLC on it for Sakura Wars 3. It doesn’t have a music box or a memory card like the individual releases would but it does have the greatest Sakura Wars games Sega is every going to make and the package fits in your shelf.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 16:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Especially since it’s sucks. For $100 you can easily have nearly any other anime release on LD in Japan. Almost every series even. Therefore I’d imagine my collection would have to be pretty big before I got this.

If you want a giant LD sized Sakura Wars box set I recommend the Complete Box for Dreamcast. It has all four games in it and a very nice presentation. Also an extra GRROM with all the DLC on it for Sakura Wars 3. It doesn’t have a music box or a memory card like the individual releases would but it does have the greatest Sakura Wars games Sega is every going to make and the package fits in your shelf.

I have the individual releases (sometimes multiple times over like having the "Asian" LE of the first game* and that box set is still something I want eventually.

*this has a VMU as well so there are actually 2 Sakura Wars VMUs that I know of, I have both.

I got really big into this series in general (I like strategy games and mecha) and there are some more obscure releases. I wish I had bought one when it came up on eBay, as I've never seen it again since.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 18:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, Sega really went nuts with LEs around this time. There are so many LE VMUs it’s crazy. There must be at least a dozen versions. I don’t even remember what they all were.

They had their own direct sales arm at this time which produced a few interesting things like the Segagagaga LE.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2020, 14:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

indeed, i'm afraid Sakura Wars T.V. was yet another one of those series that started out fairly strong,
but ended up wasting little time in sweeping itself right under the rug.

still, the aesthetics were pleasing enough, and, found for the right price,
an LD set/artbook combo like that one above would be a most welcome addition to my modest Sakura Wars collection;

Last edited by tasuke on 30 Mar 2020, 14:27, edited 2 times in total. _________________
* PIONEER CLD-3030 Compatible LDP (1988) (( CLD-3030 Chassis-based LD players ))

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2020, 14:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The games are much, much better.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2020, 17:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
The games are much, much better.

This cannot be overstated. Sakura Wars 3 is a huge favorite of mine. I’ll forgive any flaw in a game if the art direction is good enough and it sure is for SA3. So while it is so easy that you basically can’t not beat it, I don’t care. It’s the most perfectly packaged thing I’ve ever played. No seams anywhere, and every inch is something cooler than anything you’ve seen in a strategy game.

It’s also funny sometimes. Erica has this line that is something like, “Just once I’d like to eat pudding until I’m completely full.” Which I think is one for the ages. The end of part 4 is a tear jerker for hardcore Sega fans. Your boss reads this haiku that seems to describe the end of Sega’s “spring time” which to me...that was when Sega had already started making games for once competing machines but they were still making a few DC titles. It seemed to me saying, “We did the fun stuff but eventually you have to grow up.” and for Sega growing up meant basically dying and becoming the lame publisher they are today. I may have been reading a bit into that...the death of Sega and SNK at almost the same time really depressed me for a year or so. Now I just accept that the good guys lost and that’s where we are but back then I was pretty pissed.

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2