It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:44

Page 1 of 5 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Akira 4K Remaster
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2020, 20:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

About to click the button on the Akira 4K UHD remaster set from Jeff's warehouse in Japan.

However, before I do, does anyone know if this is going to be a Japan-only deal? Is it going to be released physically anywhere else?

It's great that the release is Japanese and English audio/subs, but the booklet won't be much use to me if it's in Japanese.

Plus for about €90 ($100) it needs to be pretty darn premium to justify the price. Anyone?

Post subject: Re: Akira 4K Remaster
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2020, 22:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This would be a better question on some 4K forum.

But for what its worth from my opinion the only reason to own the streamline dub is if you don't like the Japanese dub or don't have subtitles.
Booklet will more than likely be 100% Japanese if its from Japan.

I own the DVD and had the LD at one time, the LD was amazing but since I saw this when it was originally released in the theaters
in the mid 90s with the streamline dub and the only way for me to understand it was watching it in English then I had to.

Sold the LD about 3 years ago now and picked up the DVD, now that I have that I just watch the Japanese with English subs and don't bother with any
other version.

This is all depending on if the 4K release has the streamline dub, otherwise I wouldn't bother as you can only get so much out of anime.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2020, 23:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Eventually it will likely be released everywhere but it will be 1/4 the price and have cheaper packaging. Akira is too $$$ to stay in Japan even though...even with high budget anime 4K and 1080p upscaled to 4K should look pretty much identical. (I mean, serious, the originals cels are only a foot wide...)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2020, 12:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

UHD is not just about resolution. Having HDR and PQ tone curve finally makes it possible to put the old CRT power law aside while still maintaining the integrity of the film. Although Akira may not be the film that utilizes this the most, it's still a step in the right direction. The old Blu-Ray have not aged all that well unfortunately so regardless any release with the new master will most likely be an improvement.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2020, 13:36 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I get it for a collecting stand point since I don't have UHD. But I more interested to get my hands on a VHD copy.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2020, 16:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Eventually it will likely be released everywhere but it will be 1/4 the price and have cheaper packaging. Akira is too $$$ to stay in Japan even though...even with high budget anime 4K and 1080p upscaled to 4K should look pretty much identical. (I mean, serious, the originals cels are only a foot wide...)

I really hope it is released outside of Japan. I mean, Akira is huge, iconic, absolutely monumental and should be treated like the anime VIP grand master that it rightfully is. The lack of promo for it worries me though. Which leaves me thinking if it does make it outside Japan, will it even see a physical release at all?

I'm thinking I might just bite the bullet and drop the money on it. It works out about €65-70 at the minute plus shipping and import duty. That would take it up to nearer €100 all in perhaps a little more. I love Akira, the anime and manga are both wonderful. But do I love it enough to drop €100 on it? Especially when you compare it to the wonderful Dawn Of The Dead 4K set coming from Second Sight soon which will probably come in around €50-€60 (my guess).

nissling wrote:
UHD is not just about resolution. Having HDR and PQ tone curve finally makes it possible to put the old CRT power law aside while still maintaining the integrity of the film. Although Akira may not be the film that utilizes this the most, it's still a step in the right direction. The old Blu-Ray have not aged all that well unfortunately so regardless any release with the new master will most likely be an improvement.

Agreed. Another that is in dire need of updating is Perfect Blue.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2020, 18:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Is the Perfect Blue BD not very good? If that is the case I will stick with LD.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 03:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'll give ya a tip: When it comes to pre2K anime, ALWAYS stick with LD. Outside of the theatre it's the way it was seen by people with the best equipment then and the way it was remembered at the time. It can never get more pure than the LD.

I'm not a devotee of the movie although I do respect it and have this version:

Akira (1988) [SF070-1550]

Ted, if you're a true believer get this version and a genlock, you can probably find the LD for a fraction of the price of the UHD on YAJ, plus you get a heavy and bad-ass lookin' box:

Akira: Special Collection (1988) [PILA-1086]

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 08:35 
Site Admin
Site Admin

forper wrote:
Ted, if you're a true believer get this version and a genlock, you can probably find the LD for a fraction of the price of the UHD on YAJ, plus you get a heavy and bad-ass lookin' box:

Akira: Special Collection (1988) [PILA-1086]

I was hopping to snatch a cheap copy of the CAV boxset now that the 4K UHD disc is almost there.

Twice I got one on YAJ and... twice I had to send it back for refund.

The individual disc sleeves inside the box seem to have been made of low quality paper and they easily get moldy.
Everything else in the boxset was spotless, but the covers had white mold spots everywhere.

Picture of the most recent attempt:

Attachment:
IMG_7983.JPG
IMG_7983.JPG [ 101.85 KiB | Viewed 5389 times ]

Julien

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 10:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah I've tried to get that box set before but I haven't seen it come up, at least for a decent price.

The new 4K box set looks incredible though. If I am reading the translation of the website correctly, you will get a new 4K total remaster with HDR mapping.

You also get a normal SDR version (not remastered?) and then a Blu Ray version (remastered?).

Then I saw on the bonus disc with all the extras on it, it seems to list loads of new stuff, but also stuff that looks like it's on the aforementioned LD box?

I guess as well that the extras won't have English subtitles which would be really disappointing, and any printed material will be illegible too for non-Nihongo speakers.

I just wish an international version would be announced and I'd hold off. It's Akira though, the film that got me in to anime all those years ago. It's not just any normal film (or manga for that matter, which I must re-read again soon).

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 11:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If an international version comes out it will never be as nicely done as any Japanese set. Sounds cool, Japan still puts out quality releases, I'm after a lot of Japanese pop music box sets of recent, the premium nature of their products hasn't gone away in the new era for sure..

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 11:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Oh absolutely yes. Japan and packaging are synonymous. I remember when I went to Japan a few years ago, even buying something low brow the store assistant would spend about 637 hours wrapping the thing up.

You'd call in to Lawson for a 4 pack of Sapporo and a copy of Famitsu or Newtype and walk out with a shopping bag hand sculpted in bronze to form a diorama of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Studded in sapphires and sealed in liquid xenon.

I'm almost willing myself on to buy it at this stage even though it's silly expensive. If an international version appears I bet it won't come in a box set, it'll be a black snap case single disc or something equally cheap.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 12:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:

The transfer on that one is really good.

Released in 1988 but even being fairly early the transfer is first class.

Worth picking up & usually can be got for not too much.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2020, 01:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
Oh absolutely yes. Japan and packaging are synonymous. I remember when I went to Japan a few years ago, even buying something low brow the store assistant would spend about 637 hours wrapping the thing up.

You'd call in to Lawson for a 4 pack of Sapporo and a copy of Famitsu or Newtype and walk out with a shopping bag hand sculpted in bronze to form a diorama of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Studded in sapphires and sealed in liquid xenon.

:lol:

yep that's it. I was at the liquor store here and I had to bag my beer myself (of course) and the staffer gave me a dirty look when I took slightly too long.. :|

hell, why should he give good service? he's only earning $42 an hour on a Sunday while living with his parents at 18 years old and driving his own car and I'm only a stupid customer earning half as much as him in my office job and still saving up for a car in my 40s..screw me right? :thumbup:

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2020, 01:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
forper wrote:

The transfer on that one is really good.

Released in 1988 but even being fairly early the transfer is first class.

Worth picking up & usually can be got for not too much.

yeah agree, it is a totally satisfying edition, looks and sounds as good as the movie has ever looked to me, and the gatefold and obi are really nice. Everything is in order with this edition.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 10:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

First video is up. This is good as the guy on the video shows you the whole thing from all angles.

I checked out the blu-ray.com forum discussion on it as well. Early comments coming in are suggesting this release is it. This is THE one to have. The 4K HDR remaster is supposedly incredible and the new sound mix as well as the accompanying sound mixes are astounding.

Though as you can see from the video, the booklet will be of no use to non-Nihongo speakers/readers. That was to be expected really. The slipcase is gorgeous though as well as the sleeve art. Other than that it's a standard black 3 disc UHD snapcase.

This is the killer punch though. Apparently no USA date was ever touted. It's just something that has been assumed. Given 4K physical media sales are so puny in Europe and not exactly setting cash registers alight in the USA and the fact that the impending global recession is going to destroy so many things. If you factor it all in you really do end up asking yourself if Akira will see a physical 4K release outside of Japan at all.

You would hope so, given that Akira is considered in many circles (and I share the same opinion as those) to be one of the greatest animated films of all-time and the catalyst for the explosion of Japanese animation in the Western world.

Could this utter titan of the animation world get rough justice and remain in it's native home on physical media forever?

I know this disc is expensive, before you even factor in shipping, import duty etc. But come on, this is Akira. A film (and manga) of legendary status. Surely it will come out West physically?

So far your ¥8300+ tax/shipping will net you a 4K copy of Akira but the bonus extras disc has no English audio or subtitles and the book is incomprehensible to money. What value is this thing worth now? ¥5000 maybe? If it comes out West you're looking at what, $45-50/€30-40/£20-30? Will it even be as lavish as the Japanese release? I doubt it.

If it sounds like a post to justify purchasing it, it is. What to do? :lol: :oops:

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 12:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Buy it.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 12:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Buy it.

Tomorrow morning there'll be a press release announcing a US limited edition set or something. Given how my luck has been this week. :lol:

If they do a 4K remaster of The Young Doctors (pre-1987 episodes only) or The Sullivans though I'm all over them!

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 13:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
forper wrote:
Buy it.

Tomorrow morning there'll be a press release announcing a US limited edition set or something. Given how my luck has been this week. :lol:

If they do a 4K remaster of The Young Doctors (pre-1987 episodes only) or The Sullivans though I'm all over them!

:lol: really? What about a UHD edition of A Country Practice? Just think about it, Esmay and Cookie's antics, finally, in high definition!!

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 13:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Never watched that one BITD. Wouldn't mind a bit of Mr. Udagawa fighting with Paul Robinson and those twins he was rooting at Lassiters back in the day though!

Page 1 of 5 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next