It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:19

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mumin
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 19:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I spotted this on Mandarake: https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/det ... 07&lang=en

Now they're usually pretty good when it comes to prices, certainly compared to ebay, albeit the selection is a bit naff, so when I see a set like this and they're asking a grand and a half for it, I'll believe it's that valuable; question is, why is it so expensive? What's special about it? :?

Post subject: Re: Mumin
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 21:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Don't know about this one but I've seen a bunch of LDs on YJ recently that are just a massive amount, some rare discs that are actually
selling for over 100 each and people asking stupid prices for some stuff.

Seen stuff like this for crazy prices 200+ range. Saw Dirty Pair box for 600 but others had it listed for 20, but with shipping it would kill you.
I think this is the final death rattle for LDs in Japan and people are asking crazy prices if its not on DVD yet.

Wonder when we will have the final death rattle in the USA for LDs.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 01:56 
Site Admin
Site Admin

takeshi666 wrote:
Now they're usually pretty good when it comes to prices, certainly compared to ebay, albeit the selection is a bit naff, so when I see a set like this and they're asking a grand and a half for it, I'll believe it's that valuable; question is, why is it so expensive? What's special about it? :?

I have no idea why it's so expensive -- apart from the fact that it hasn't been re-released -- but I've seen them selling consistently above $900 for the full set.

https://www.lddb.com/search.php?search=Mumin&sort=title

One lot of 6 (missing vol.7) at $835 on YAJ right now.

Single discs often going for $150~$300.

Julien

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 02:28 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The original Moomin series was largely the work of legendary animator Yasuo Otsuka, Hayao Miyazaki's mentor and animation director on classics like Lupin III (green jacket, Mamo movie, 60s pilot..). The Moomin creator took issue with violence and other elements in the Japanese interpretation, and probably pulled the rights for any release since the LD.

Still, it's hard to figure that kind of pricing in a era when there's probably a perfect digital rip out there.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2020, 21:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Wowsers! They sold it.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 00:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

harlock wrote:
The original Moomin series was largely the work of legendary animator Yasuo Otsuka, Hayao Miyazaki's mentor and animation director on classics like Lupin III (green jacket, Mamo movie, 60s pilot..). The Moomin creator took issue with violence and other elements in the Japanese interpretation, and probably pulled the rights for any release since the LD.

Still, it's hard to figure that kind of pricing in a era when there's probably a perfect digital rip out there.

IIRC the entire series was made illegally without knowledge or permission from the original creator. Later Moomin entered Japan properly. This show was kept “Japan-only” and I’d assume was never reprinted. Lupin III narrowly avoided a similar fate since it’s also a bootleg series although less so than Japanese Moomin.

$1400 isn’t a lot for an LD box honestly. Many cost almost that much new in today’s dollars. This is simply an example of one not depreciating %95 like most have.

One of my favorite books to read to my kid is a dual language English/Japanese Moomin book that I got cheap at a used Japanese book store. It’s not a “real” Moomin book but a kids storybook with peekaboo flaps.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 00:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Don't know about this one but I've seen a bunch of LDs on YJ recently that are just a massive amount, some rare discs that are actually
selling for over 100 each and people asking stupid prices for some stuff.

Seen stuff like this for crazy prices 200+ range. Saw Dirty Pair box for 600 but others had it listed for 20, but with shipping it would kill you.
I think this is the final death rattle for LDs in Japan and people are asking crazy prices if its not on DVD yet.

Wonder when we will have the final death rattle in the USA for LDs.

Yeah Dirty Pair is coming to BD. I picked up the entire franchise on DVD for like $35 as Rightstuf was blowing it out.

There are some LDs I would love to get, obscure oavs that almost never come up.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 01:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Dirty Pair is a love to hate for me, I love the film Eden Project but had mixed feelings for the TV box, never saw any of the OVAs or other films.

Had the Japanese box twice and almost bought it a third time when I saw it on ebay about 3 or 4 years ago for 50 buy it now and then the
seller lowered it to 35 and sold it.

Now its tempting to pickup that set again from rightstuf :lol:

As for obscure OVAs they are almost non existent on YJ right now, been looking and picking up some stuff but nothing great, this will be my last YJ
haul.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 01:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Then sale isn't as good anymore fwiw. It would be $67.50 total now. I really want to get To-y but that's a pipe dream.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 01:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

To-y isn't even on there, seen some LDs where the sellers are asking 200+ but not selling but nothing in To-y.

Been doing covid searching and have been searching almost every other day for the past 2 months
was happy to pickup some stuff I've been looking for but not much.

Will post the haul when I get it. Waiting for the last few discs to arrive to I can combine.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 13:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If you don't have it, or have had it, already. Get Urban Square.

It. Is. BRILLIANT.

I saw it on YouTube purely by chance. Ended up buying the LD, the 12" OST vinyl, and a gorgeous store poster from 1986 with beautiful art by Akemi Takada.

The Chickenshack OST is just awesome. The opening credits are like an episode of Midnight Caller!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 16:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

teddanson wrote:
If you don't have it, or have had it, already. Get Urban Square.

It. Is. BRILLIANT.

I saw it on YouTube purely by chance. Ended up buying the LD, the 12" OST vinyl, and a gorgeous store poster from 1986 with beautiful art by Akemi Takada.

The Chickenshack OST is just awesome. The opening credits are like an episode of Midnight Caller!

Urban Square (1986) [BEAL-123]

I’ve never heard of it but the cover sure is fantastic.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 18:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Get it and don't look back. :thumbup:

Also, the date on LDDB is wrong. It was released November 28th 1986. I know this as I own the retail store poster. :lol:

I will fill in the blanks on the LDDB listing too if wanted? Mint marks etc, when I next take out the disc.

Thinking on release date, maybe the rental date was November 28th, 1986 and retail was March 1987? Or maybe a reprint?

Doesn't matter, I watched Urban Square the last couple of Nov 28th's to mark my own little Urban Square Day, I love the damn thing that much. :D

Last edited by teddanson on 16 Aug 2020, 18:32, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Blog: The Coterie / L'boxd: Diary
Pioneer CLD-R7G, CLD-D925 | Yamaha APD-2 | DVDO Edge, VP50 Pro

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 18:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While a few years ago, checked my last order, was in 2017, stuff like Urban Square would have been all over the place.
Now they are non existent or if they are they are asking or selling for at least 20,30 and 100.

I added a few anime discs that weren't in the database, one was Dr. Typhoon [PCLP-00245]
Its just a golf anime, looked interesting and I hadn't heard of it before, but the one copy sold for over 45 bucks and the other I wasn't able to bid on
due to the restrictions or feedback from the seller.

I'm about to pull all my anime from my shop and ebay to readjust the price like all others have in the past few months.

Couldn't understand why they started upping the prices by 10-25% but now I know why, its just not floating around like it used to.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 18:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Is Urban Square LD only? :(

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 19:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I hear you. I picked up Future War 198x and Goddamn! at the same time as Urban Square and both were rare enough at the time too.

I am still looking for an anime called Heavy but it doesn't seem to come up much.

Urban Square was available on VHS and LD. It is not available on DVD or better and apparently unlikely to be. Maybe due to music rights? Just a guess.

Here is a subbed version. The one I watched a few years ago. Those Midnight Caller opening credits just ROCK! The whole film is riddled with clichés. I adore it!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 19:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Heavy is a great one, very short but then again the manga was only 8 or 10 issues.
Again was all over the place but none now.
Bought 2 of them when I did my last order, kept 1 :mrgreen:

Sort of surprised to see Future War just sell for 32 dollars, it was missing the corner obi but I would never sell mine that cheap.
Also unknown on playback, I saw a copy sell on ebay for 50 with supposed rot.

I think I passed on a copy of Urban on ebay a few years ago for 60 from Japan, maybe shouldn't have :think:

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 20:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Funny enough, I too have a copy of Urban Square in my LD archive. I was lucky enough to pay nothing for it (probably < $10) during one of those big eBay sales that used to be common with dozens of titles and low reserve/starting price. Back when eBay had real import anime LD auctions, instead of wildly priced BIN storefronts. I wasn't even particularly interested in it at the time, but it looked like a cool old OVA so I sucked it up like all the other cheap titles (box sets of Creamy Mami, KOR import, for like $40 each and such).

Guess I picked a winner.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 22:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

teddanson wrote:
I hear you. I picked up Future War 198x and Goddamn! at the same time as Urban Square and both were rare enough at the time too.

I am still looking for an anime called Heavy but it doesn't seem to come up much.

Urban Square was available on VHS and LD. It is not available on DVD or better and apparently unlikely to be. Maybe due to music rights? Just a guess.

Here is a subbed version. The one I watched a few years ago. Those Midnight Caller opening credits just ROCK! The whole film is riddled with clichés. I adore it!

I really wish I had tried harder years ago to find Goddamn! It was never common but it was cheaper at one point.

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]