It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: The ultimate Oedo is on the way!
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 18:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

YES!

All The Anime are releasing what essentially amounts to an ultimate edition of Cyber City Oedo 808!

I love that the UK soundtrack is on it. Also one of the extremely rare occasions I'd prefer to watch a dub over a sub, the English voice actors imho are far better. It's all about that soundtrack though, which is the second disc in this set. A real boon because the Demon Records CD goes for a lot of money these days.

Made when anime was anime. Instapreorder. :clap:

https://www.alltheanime.com/products/cy ... collectors

Post subject: Re: The ultimate Oedo is on the way!
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 18:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
the English voice actors imho are far better

That's a bit of a stretch since one of the VAs in the original is Kaneto Shiozawa. And the dub takes a lot of liberties with the translation!

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 18:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ah it's personal preference. I grew up with the Manga Video release with the awesome soundtrack. I didn't get to see the original Japanese version until decades later.

I guess it's a bit like the Streamline 'cowabunga' dub of Akira and the nostalgia element?

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 19:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Some people like bad stuff, I think that’s all of it. Everyone I knew made fun of Akira’s dub and nobody I knew had a Japanese version. Some of my old scene likely would buy a DVD just to get a particular bad dub, some of us wouldn’t.

Camp as an unintentional byproduct of The Thing is cool sometimes but usually with me The Thing takes precedence. I’d usually go for whatever release is truest to The Thing contained on the release, which would be LD in this case. Obviously the HD aspect and goofy dubs have to go somewhere so that’s what BR is for. The fruit and the fiber, it’s all part of loving movies I guess.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 19:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Some people like bad stuff, I think that’s all of it. Everyone I knew made fun of Akira’s dub and nobody I knew had a Japanese version. Some of my old scene likely would buy a DVD just to get a particular bad dub, some of us wouldn’t.

Camp as an unintentional byproduct of The Thing is cool sometimes but usually with me The Thing takes precedence. I’d usually go for whatever release is truest to The Thing contained on the release, which would be LD in this case. Obviously the HD aspect and goofy dubs have to go somewhere so that’s what BR is for. The fruit and the fiber, it’s all part of loving movies I guess.

The dub for Mad Bull 34 is one of my all-time favourites! I could probably count on one hand the amount of titles where I'd watch a dub over a sub. Watch content as God intended!

Not anime, but I want to get the dubbed version of Hercules In New York. Can't find it anywhere though. Another film where I'd take the dub over the original audio for the jolliness alone!

Ice to see you... :lol:

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 19:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I wasn't aware you could even get Hercules in New York with the original audio!

signofzeta wrote:

This, 100%. Game of Death 2 is one of my, if not the favourite bad movie of all time, and although my go-to version is always the dubbed international cut, it just didn't seem right to not have the original as well, which is why I also have the Hong Kong Legends DVD with the Chinese language version.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 20:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I wasn't aware you could even get Hercules in New York with the original audio!

I think the dub was the only version available until around 2002 (roughly) when Hollywood DVD released the film on DVD with the original Arnie audio track for the first time. I still have that DVD somewhere.

Needs a new 4K scan with both the dub and original audio tracks. I long to see the film dubbed!

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 21:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

In the 80s all we had were dubs, sometimes good sometimes horrible. When the otaku industry finally took off in the late 80s my friends and I tried to send our money only towards the companies that would free us of dubs, censorship, or any other form of unwanted editing. Some companies, even though they were ota oriented, were doing some of the worst dubs ever. The first anime I remember people buying just because the dub was so bad was The Guyver when it hit US VHS for like $10 an episode. As it was being released I knew two weirdos from Ohio where were anxiously awaiting the final episodes. I didn’t see a lot of that sort of thing until much later when the How Did This Get Made sort of humor became popular.

I haven’t watched dubbed Guyver since I last saw it...in a barn...in very rural Pennsylvania, 1994. I should check it out, I guess.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2020, 15:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

this would have been an Insta-Buy for me as well, had it an A; U.S. regional edition, and B; had the original untouched Subbed version included.

as it stands, i'll have to remain content with the final U.S. MANGA CORPS U.S. DVD edition for the time being, which is quite perfectly serviceable to me in any case...

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 22:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Cyber City Oedo 808 limited edition pre arrived today. Tonight's viewing, complete with the dub everyone hates (I don't) and the UK soundtrack everyone (rightly) loves!

It also has the UK soundtrack packed in on a bonus CD! This is awesome as the Demon Records release is long OOP and quite expensive. This will be ripped to WAV and dumped on my DAP.

In my very humble opinion I think Cyber Oedo 808 is right up there. Not just up there, but beyond the velvet rope and deep within the VIP lounge, rubbing shoulders with the small but select gang of anime greats. Say what you like about the UK dub but it's impact was profound (and is still how I will watch it to this very day). Cyber City Oedo 808 is as important as it is utterly fantastical. Kawajiri's defining moment? Not quite, I think Ninja Scroll takes that crown, but it's a close call. The Rory MacFarlane soundtrack though really punches Oedo through the glass ceiling and is to this day still absolutely magnificent.

How about the disc?

Well, I was disappointed for a second as it is an SDBD of sorts. By which I mean the source certainly looks like a very high grade tape master. Far better than DVD but not up there with a lovely HD transfer. Don't get me wrong at all though, it looks tremendous, the best Cyber City Oedo 808 will likely ever look. The masters have clearly been very well preserved.

The audio is great, very loud, very clear which surprised me somewhat as I expected a bit of noise or a narrow sound stage. You get everything here, the original Japanese version, the US dub and of course the king of them all, the UK dub!

Just a mention as well about the colours. Those trademark Kawajiri blues, violets and reds look great. Not as good as Wicked City as the source is not as good, but it's still lovingly presented. Some scenes are marred by black crush though, again that's the source I imagine.

The packed in booklet is great quality and printed on heavy stock and full colour. There is a great article by Jonathan Clements in it that taught me a lot about the history of Cyber City Oedo 808.

I didn't realise that there are potentially three more episodes that were never filmed as well as further stories that were never picked up. Apparently they were all optioned but the series didn't do so well in Japan so the idea was scrapped and thus only three episodes were made. Don't forget of course there was a PC Engine CD game which did use one of the stories.

There's a lot more in the booklet and also commentaries by Kawajiri on episodes 1 and 2 and also a making of feature (an hour long no less too) alongside trailers etc. And of course you get a second disc which is the soundtrack CD.

I think this really is the pinnacle for Cyber City Oedo 808 fans. It will probably never be bettered. If you like the show or are even just a bit curious, just buy it. It's worth every penny in my opinion.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]