It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:19

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anime Set w/o much data on Mandarake
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2021, 19:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1150608926&ref=list&soldOut=1&categoryCode=0407&lang=en

Too much for me, but maybe someone else wants to get it to catalog.

I believe that is all just Box 1: Shinkai Densetsu Marmenoid: Box vol.1 [SVWL-1101~4] (link updated, please use the pre-formatted URLs)

Post subject: Re: Anime Set w/o much data on Mandarake
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2021, 19:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Possibly this as well?

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/det ... 07&lang=en

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2021, 20:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/det ... 07&lang=en

Dokaban: Exciting games at Summer Koshien (1976) [COLC-3176~82] (link updated, please use the pre-formatted URLs)

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2021, 21:05 
Serious fan
Serious fan

That Dokaben set was so cheap (1500 yen) I wonder if it was a mistake. Anyway, I just nabbed it, and if nothing was fishy and it gets here I'll fill out its DB info.

Not familiar with this series, but I'm a huge baseball fan and absolutely adore Koshien Stadium. I had the privilege of going there once for a Hanshin Tigers game, and the crowd was just insane. Packed to the gills (47,000+) on a weeknight against a last-place team (Yakult Swallows), and they had a soccer crowd's energy. Totally different experience than a regular season MLB game (which is already one of my favorite things!). And the Koshien high school tournaments are one of the best traditions in sports. I'd love to catch one of those games in person some day. You never know, there could be a future NPB or MLB legend playing!

Anyway, hope the discs get here and as described. I didn't notice until it was too late, but something about the site's address fields is screwy; it put my apartment number above my street address.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2021, 21:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Glad someone here got it. Shipping will surely be more than the set itself, probably double?

I'll post more as I see them in this thread.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 00:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Its pretty amazing how many anime discs are still not fully added to the database.
I think I'm almost tapped out for anime for a few years now, been on a buying run for too long and need to put the breaks on for a little.
Love the boxes but I have less and less time to sit and enjoy them and then the shipping really kills it.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 20:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've seen some really cheap box sets on Mandarake but the shipping gets a little high. In the other hand, they also had a complete Danguard Ace set for a while but it was 17k yen and I sat on it for too long and someone else bought it.

Also I spotted that Dokaben box set several times in the past but apparently there are no fansubs for it of any kind at all? Also judging by the weight provided on the mandarake page it seems like it only contains about 32 episodes and the whole series is well past the 150 mark so idk what's going on there? High episode count would explain why no fansubbers have touched it.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 21:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Also I spotted that Dokaben box set several times in the past but apparently there are no fansubs for it of any kind at all? Also judging by the weight provided on the mandarake page it seems like it only contains about 32 episodes and the whole series is well past the 150 mark so idk what's going on there? High episode count would explain why no fansubbers have touched it.

No fansubs does seem to be the case. Loooong 70's sports anime = not many western fans. I would guess that the deal with the episode count is that in 1995 they thought there wouldn't be enough interest for the whole series on LD, but that there would be for what I guess is a Summer Koshien tournament arc. Very curious, and it makes me wonder if there were other long series that got similar treatment on home video. Anyway, although my Japanese comprehension is still very rudimentary, I think I'll still get something out of it with the baseball animation. (I too noticed the size/weight discrepancy before I bought, so there's no buyer's remorse on that account.)

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 21:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The only one that comes to mind is the Lensman box, but it wasn't a long series, I think it was 26 or 34 episodes, have to check to make sure.
But only 4 on LD.

Stuff like fist of the north star never got any TV on LD to my knowledge but GE999 did and I think they were both very popular back in the day,
could it have been also licensing in Japan when you have someone like Matsumoto???

Anyway looks cool, would have picked it up had it been in the USA but that overseas shipping is keeping me to films and OVAs.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 22:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I've seen some really cheap box sets on Mandarake but the shipping gets a little high. In the other hand, they also had a complete Danguard Ace set for a while but it was 17k yen and I sat on it for too long and someone else bought it.

The prices seem very random.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2021, 22:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

The prices seem very random.

I'm sure there's some reason. Maybe those titles are unavailable. Like that 1960s Moomin anime which has only been released on LD, the individual volumes go for about that much on Mandarake when/if they pop up.

I saw the complete set for GE999 as well for a price that didn't seem too bad, but one box set had a badly damaged obi and another had it missing entirely I think.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 01:55 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Following up on the Dokaben boxset (which got here faster than I expected!), I think the 1,500 yen price was an actual mistake, especially considering Wikipedia describes the manga as "one of the most popular sports manga of all time" so Japanese demand can't possibly be that low. The box is in immaculate condition, and while I've only unsealed the first disc so far, it looked and played perfectly. Picture quality's perfectly fine, too. The set begins partway into the series as suspected, but at a sensible starting point (the main character decides to attend high school instead of going to work, with the intention of continuing his scholastic baseball career (from what I can gather with my limited Japanese)), and going by the list of episode titles it appears to end at a sensible stopping point (28 eps. total on 7 discs).

So far I can follow it well enough, so I'm looking forward to some roughly animated, modestly exaggerated baseball anime. Thanks again gypsy for the find! I'll see if I have time this weekend to fill out its info and take cover pictures.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 02:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
Following up on the Dokaben boxset (which got here faster than I expected!), I think the 1,500 yen price was an actual mistake, especially considering Wikipedia describes the manga as "one of the most popular sports manga of all time" so Japanese demand can't possibly be that low.

Well it might be if the whole series is available on DVD or some other far more accessible format. Who'd want to spend money for the Laserdisc after that if you can't even get the whole series that way?

Also if the manga is so popular, why hasn't there been another anime series? Ashita no Joe has had several. Maybe it isn't as popular as wikipedia claims it is.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 02:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s likely a ratio of popularity to units produced. The main reason I eventually got super into Araiguma Rascal is because the LD box set was ¥8000, either version. This intrigued me because the same seller was selling me half boxes for as low as ¥550 and single discs as low as ¥50. If they didn’t make enough units the price will always be sort of high. LDDB doesn’t have a release date for the first print, but we do have the price, ¥68,000, clearly a late 80s/very early 90s price point for a show this size. The box I got was the reprint but it was from 1997, published by Pioneer this time, and...still ¥68,000 and it’s an NHK show, not a Bandai OVA, so they didn’t flood the market. The Pioneer one has pretty poor video (show is from 1977) but all new art that was also used for the eventual DVD release.

If it was released simultaneously on DVD that usually makes the LD worthless as well. If it wasn’t finished on LD (Initial D, for example) then the LD is unlikely to be the preferred version.

Anyway, fast forward to today and I’m a massive Rascal fan. I’ve read the book, the audio book, visited the author’s boyhood home, bought my kid the stuffed toy and he loves Rascal. None of this would have happened probably if the LD box was as cheap as the Final Fantasy OVAs. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2021, 22:30 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Some great LDs on Mandarake, but what about the pandemic shipping situation? Their site shows DHL as pretty much it for shipping to the USA, like other similar sites in JP that generally have EMS and SAL X'ed out (or warnings about EMS being incredibly slow because no planes flying to put the packages on). Sounds like it could get pricey on shipping.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2021, 22:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

harlock wrote:
Some great LDs on Mandarake, but what about the pandemic shipping situation? Their site shows DHL as pretty much it for shipping to the USA, like other similar sites in JP that generally have EMS and SAL X'ed out (or warnings about EMS being incredibly slow because no planes flying to put the packages on). Sounds like it could get pricey on shipping.

DHL and Fedex only. It's not ideal but it's livable. Kinda kills getting cheap stuff though.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 17:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

God, I just found out how bad the shipping situation is. "Surugaya is back!" - the legendarily cheap LD source is selling to the US again, and I remembered the good old days where the EMS might be an "expensive" 50 bucks or something but the LDs were practically free so it worked out. Found an 8 disc box set I've wanted for like $10, went to the checkout and saw DHL shipping for around $150 :crazy: The hunt will continue for that title.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 22:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Seamail or bust if you need to keep costs down. It's not the end of the world for a lot of things with shipping, but certainly it is not really palatable for LD.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 01:18 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Too bad I don't think surugaya does seamail (DHL was the only price that showed). Even back in the day they only did EMS, but it was miracle enough they were willing to sell mint LDs for nearly nothing so it worked out.

It is nice to see they are selling overseas again at least given that LD sales are not making them anything, just have to wait for the pandemic shipping situation to improve.

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]