It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:00

Page 2 of 4 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Macross News
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 00:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think there is a battle scene missing from the movie but the movie has a flashback...I think.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 01:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah the name Macross is completely incidental to Plus. Kawamori picked it off the shelf of generic OVAs and stuck the name Macross on it I heard.

In the early '90s we had Macross II but that was short and pretty kind of underwhelming, still Macross for sure but not great. Especially the attrocious dub which was all I was able to get at the time.

It was so exciting to have new Macross back then and it was in about '95 when Macross 7 was very mysterious and hard to get any information on. So we bought it and enjoyed it but at the end I kinda thought, "huh, that didn't feel like Macross at all?" and that's when the two universes of Macross started forming in my head. I later found out it was a real distinction, Big West-verse and Kawamori-verse. The Big West direction wasn't perfect but a lot closer to what I consider Macross than Kawamori's autocratic vision (The original Macross was a collaboration of so many new talents, not just Kawamori who's main contribution was the revolutionary Valkyrie design)

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 03:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Of course I have HD files but I would still buy US released blu rays.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 06:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Would you buy them even if they sucked? (which they probably will)

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 14:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
Of course I have HD files but I would still buy US released blu rays.

What if it says “Robotech Presents” on the top and the disc had an unskippable ad block for a Kickstarter trying to get The Sentinels made?

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 18:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Maybe this is easy for me to say because I wasn't there for Robotech, but at this point being hung up on the existence of Robotech feels to me like people my age who are still indignant about the English dub of Digimon. Would it have been great and better if Macross had made it to US TV essentially unaltered in 1984 1985? Of course; doesn't mean it was ever going to happen. Is it weird and pathetic that Harmony Gold still wants to make a live-action Robotech movie? Sure; but seeing as they didn't stamp "Robotech" on the cover of ADV's Macross DVDs I don't see why they'd be more likely to do so now.

It's time to move on. If a company I was mad at puts out the thing I was mad at them for not putting out and that makes me as mad or madder than I was before, then I'm just looking for things to be mad about. Of course, if anyone's interested in spending their energy on lifelong, irrevocable grudges, that's their prerogative.

Last edited by rcarlson on 11 Apr 2021, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 18:36 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just following the bizarre saga of HG makes good spectator sport at this point. HG makes their money off large real estate holdings and associated rackets, Robotech is worth little so their interests in the property are purely as an intellectual property troll at this point - shake down artists that hope that Japanese tire, give in, and just pay the protection money. Agrama is like a mafia don that won't let it go after all these years, who knows if they even break even on the expended effort and simply do it out of momentum and spite. The executive suite of HG is probably a mix of peak 1985 design and Tony Montana's digs.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 21:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

:lol: Zeta. You put "sucks" into actual context.

rcarlson wrote:
Would it have been great and better if Macross had made it to US TV essentially unaltered in 1984?

It essentially did. That was the genius of Macek.

The biggest changes I can think of:

The music
Names of SOME characters and mecha
Minmay's a** shot
No reference to nuclear weapons or power plants, it's all "protoculture" and "reflex weapons".

Robotech affected me so much as a 6 year old sitting there in the East Coast of America in 84. Always thought it was '85 tho? I cried when it finished. I loved Minmay. My first crush. Think Max was my first man crush haha

Macek changed everything for me and millions of English speaking anime fans today.

Thanks Carl M.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 22:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:

I mean, it will be much better than the laserdiscs or dvds.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 23:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Personally I just loathe the idea of giving Harmony Gold any of my money at this point.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 23:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Personally I just loathe the idea of giving Harmony Gold any of my money at this point.

Yeah, pretty understandable.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 02:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rcarlson wrote:
Maybe this is easy for me to say because I wasn't there for Robotech, but at this point being hung up on the existence of Robotech feels to me like people my age who are still indignant about the English dub of Digimon. Would it have been great and better if Macross had made it to US TV essentially unaltered in 1984 1985? Of course; doesn't mean it was ever going to happen. Is it weird and pathetic that Harmony Gold still wants to make a live-action Robotech movie? Sure; but seeing as they didn't stamp "Robotech" on the cover of ADV's Macross DVDs I don't see why they'd be more likely to do so now.

It's time to move on. If a company I was mad at puts out the thing I was mad at them for not putting out and that makes me as mad or madder than I was before, then I'm just looking for things to be mad about. Of course, if anyone's interested in spending their energy on lifelong, irrevocable grudges, that's their prerogative.

I have no complaints about the creation of Robotech. Macross never would have made it on the air in the US any other way. This is NOT about that. If that were the only issue then this recent development wouldn’t mean anything. Harmony Gold’s scumbag behavior continues to this day. They want a cut of Macross which they had ZERO input on, doesn’t that seem odd? Nobody can import VF-1S toys and sell them at Wal Mart BECAUSE of Harmony Gold. That’s true even today, Big West has “recognized it”. They recognized they’ve been beaten.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 02:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

50% of a billion dollars is better than 0% of nothing.

I've seen too many shark tank episodes to see these people turn down millions to sell out and feel they have to keep complete control.
Also I'm sure a lot of the people from BW and HG are dead or have been retired for so long that the next, next next gen can now profit from it all.

Wasn't there a HG dub of Lensman, wonder if Harmony Gold will now fight and win against the Smith estate to release that :?

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 07:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The only reason this got settled after twenty-eight years of legal embattlement is because Sony bought Harmony Gold, so instead of this being a Japanese company fighting a little two-bit California, USA based company, this became a small Japanese company fighting a giant Japanese company. What everyone should be worried about is the doubtless exclusive "licensing" of all things Robotech and Macross to Funimation, which I'm predicting right now.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 08:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
forper wrote:

I mean, it will be much better than the laserdiscs or dvds.

I doubt it. The Animeigo DVDs yeah because of the recolouring but all my Macross LDs look amazing and are complete cuts.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 12:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If Sony knows anything it’s how to sue someone to death in court despite being clearly in the wrong.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 15:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tweeg wrote:
What everyone should be worried about is the doubtless exclusive "licensing" of all things Robotech and Macross to Funimation, which I'm predicting right now.

Man, Funimation can't even handle their flagship product properly.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 00:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
tweeg wrote:
What everyone should be worried about is the doubtless exclusive "licensing" of all things Robotech and Macross to Funimation, which I'm predicting right now.

So, I basically only buy Discotek stuff now, a few things Viz does and deep discounts from Sentai. What's going on with Funimation?

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 04:32 
Honest fan
Honest fan

gypsy wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
tweeg wrote:

So, I basically only buy Discotek stuff now, a few things Viz does and deep discounts from Sentai. What's going on with Funimation?

Oh, just Funimation being their usual selves, made infinitely worse by being a Sony subsidiary. :roll:

All the excuses about their absurd handling of Dragon Ball Z releases, and how they made excuses for their mistakes trying to blame Toho for their own mistakes. Not saying all of the argument they made against Toho was wrong, but they were throwing Toho under the proverbial bus as a means of misdirection, which made Funimation come off as being a completely petty and incompetent company. End of the day Toho wasn't at fault for the screw ups in the DVD and Blu-Ray releases made by Funimation.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 05:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tweeg wrote:
All the excuses about their absurd handling of Dragon Ball Z releases, and how they made excuses for their mistakes trying to blame Toho for their own mistakes. Not saying all of the argument they made against Toho was wrong, but they were throwing Toho under the proverbial bus as a means of misdirection, which made Funimation come off as being a completely petty and incompetent company. End of the day Toho wasn't at fault for the screw ups in the DVD and Blu-Ray releases made by Funimation.

Like that completely insane decision to not only still consider releasing the series cropped into widescreen, but leaving that decision up to a popular vote. Then there's all that stuff about missing NEPs, using the same credit sequences for every episode, etc. Ever tried to hold a conversation with an average DBZ fanboy? :? Remember when the Dragonboxes came out, and people complained because the dub track didn't have the Bruce Faulconer music? And that's the kind of people you want to leave important technical decisions to??

Oh well, at least there's always the fansubbed version with the original broadcast audio.

Page 2 of 4 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next