It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:12

Page 2 of 6 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Major Collection For Sale - 3,773 Titles - $125,000
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2021, 20:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Don't give me wrong, you probably have a very fine collection for sure and one that I fully understand you put high value in. However, when it reaches this amount of money it starts to get a bit... Difficult to find the right buyer. If you happen to be Jeff Bezos and want to have all the LDs you could dream of, sure then you could probably make out a deal and having both the buyer and seller be happy with the outcome. But for an average person with disposable income (relatively speaking) it's probably a better idea to pay off the loans of your house.

I've easily spent more than I make in a year on movies but there's no way I'd get back anywhere near those money in one single deal. That just won't happen and I'm perfectly fine with that. Once I went bananas and bought a lot containing aprox 40ish Arrow LE box sets on Blu-Ray, along with the complete 88 Film Slasher series and a couple of boutiqe box sets (Shout's Friday The 13th, Dawn of the Dead 4K, Silent Night Deadly Night collection etc) for aprox 2500 USD. Plus 13 hours of driving since I didn't want anything to get ruined in shipping. That's about what I make in a month after taxes and in retrospect I admit that it was a crazy move, but I'm also glad that I pulled the trigger. But if I were to multiple the price by 50... Just no, regardless of how many films were included.

Now I will agree with you on that some collector's items do have ridicilous pricings. As long as you've got the cash you can buy NWC 1990, but getting a complete Nes collection takes time and that is something you'll never get back. Either way I suggest you follow Julien's advice. That's probably the easiest way to get good money for those discs.

Belated happy birthday and good luck! :)

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2021, 14:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I agree. It’s a nice collection. Certainly much bigger than mine and contains many discs I’d like to have. I think most people here would agree. I also think most people here would agree that the owner is totally clueless.

Whatever the scene is, LD, records, Faberge eggs, whatever, there are people in that scene, actual individuals who appreciate the stuff for its actual purpose. These people catalog everything, buy, sell, discuss, learn everything. The hardcore do it till they die. Every day. We were into LD before anyone ever flipped one. When flippers are trying to cash in, when they give up, when they come back. We’re still here.

Then you have people who show up out of nowhere and try to tell everyone else what their own stuff is worth. They say things like “you never know!” which suggests they love slot machines and lotto and the thrill of a payday more than anything else. They sound eternally optimistic but in fact they are eternally not paying attention. There is no significant market for this kind of thing.

LD in the US is sold mainly on eBay. This forum is probably second place. Yahoo Auction Japan is very popular as well but almost totally as a way to dump JP LDs outside of Japan.

Now there are other sellers and collectors more hardcore than these but they deal in much harder to find stuff than you have. You are dealing with very common stuff by comparison and you have a mountain of it.

So here’s my question: who on Earth are you imagining will buy this for the price of a new Porsche? A guy with an eBay store? Ha! A doomed venture. Will the guy sell it here? Well, maybe, eventually, possibly, but you’re talking to us now, people who live and love (and sometimes deal in) Laserdisc including the founder of the site and they are telling you it isn’t happening. The last option I guess would be that you find someone who loves LD so much that he’ll spend six figures on it but inexplicably doesn’t have a collection yet.

If I were you my main concern would be to find someone who will take it for any price including free. It’s physically huge and %99.999 of society considers it something to haul to the dump. You are NOT sitting on a goldmine or a retirement plan. “You never know!” Nope, many many things can be known if you try, pal. This is one of them. You don’t love it as a movie collection, obviously. Its an albatross. You won’t even catalog it! Ridiculous! What kind of lazy person deserves $100,000 for an uncatalogued collection? How can anyone even trust that it is what it is said to be? Are you going to even be home when the buyer comes to get it or is that too much of an hassle as well? Should I just put the $100,000 in gold bullion in your mailbox and get the LDs out of the wet basement myself?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2021, 19:17 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I suggest you take a little (or maybe a double dose) of B-NYS, signofzeta. There's no reason for you to be offended or outraged that I am attempting to sell my collection, but that is how you are coming across. Not to mention the ad hominem attacks on my character, integrity, and sanity. I have acknowledged several times that my chances of selling my collection as a lot for my asking price, are slim, but who are you to tell me I shouldn't even bother trying? Let's try to be civil. Eric

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2021, 05:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Even if you part them individually, it will still take you years to sell. Most of them you will have to give away for free and some of them you will have to pay someone to recycle for you. After many years and all that effort, maybe you will make $25k, still $100k short of what you dream of getting.

Obviously you don’t believe in this sale one bit. If you had a tiny bit of hope, you would get that $25 barcode scanner or a free app to your phone to scan in those discs to catalog them. Heck, not even a couple of pictures of your collection taken with a potato camera?? I think you are trolling us. And everyone here knows that I ain’t nice.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2021, 16:50 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Well, I have offered to list as many of the valuable titles as practical to anyone who expresses a sincere interest in possibly buying the collection. That's the best I can do for now. I don't think you guys appreciate how long it would take me to list all 3,773 titles. Especially for an old man like me who has never done anything like that before. I'm sure I would only get part ways through by the time it was time for the thread to be purged. And most of you are telling me it wouldn't make any difference anyway. That it still wouldn't sell. So I have to make a determination as to whether the perceived benefit of listing all titles would make it worth the time and effort to do so and I have concluded it would not. But I certainly understand your point, substance. If I am not successful this time around, and if I decide to try again at a later date, I most likely will not do so until my full collection has been entered and made public. Eric

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2021, 23:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Got a photo?
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2021, 01:41 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Nope. No smartphone and no other means of taking photos. Never had any interest in that sort of thing. Cellphones - along with Facebook - are two of the worst inventions ever, based on my observations of how they are affecting people and society, but that's a story for another time. So now I've probably alienated a bunch more of you, but that's what I believe.

I will say, regarding substance's risible suspicion that I might be a troll, if I am one, I sure have bided my time. I have been an LDDB member since May 2006, three years longer than substance, incidentally. There are dozens of LDDB sellers, including Julien, who can vouch for my credibility. In the past 15 years, I have purchased more than 250 laserdiscs from LDDB sellers, totaling more than $15,000. Furthermore, I have been on eBay since April 1999 with 2,712 positive feedbacks.

I am as trustworthy and as truthful as it gets. Trust me.

Eric Eide

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2021, 13:54 
True fan
True fan

**No smartphone and no other means of taking photos**

Are you for real ? :shifty:

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2021, 16:23 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

ericeide wrote:
Nope. No smartphone and no other means of taking photos. Never had any interest in that sort of thing. Cellphones - along with Facebook - are two of the worst inventions ever, based on my observations of how they are affecting people and society, but that's a story for another time. So now I've probably alienated a bunch more of you, but that's what I believe.

I will say, regarding substance's risible suspicion that I might be a troll, if I am one, I sure have bided my time. I have been an LDDB member since May 2006, three years longer than substance, incidentally. There are dozens of LDDB sellers, including Julien, who can vouch for my credibility. In the past 15 years, I have purchased more than 250 laserdiscs from LDDB sellers, totaling more than $15,000. Furthermore, I have been on eBay since April 1999 with 2,712 positive feedbacks.

Eric Eide

The issue is the lack of (or poor quality of ) PR and marketing for such a niche sale. You need to attract interest so you have a shot. I would hire a photographer to take “great” pictures and maybe hire another person to catalog these for me. I would then list this ad everywhere and even make youtube videos. I mean for a $125k sale?? Heck, it is definitely worth it to spend a few days marketing it.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2021, 18:05 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Those are good suggestions, substance. It's only been a week since I got the urge to sell my collection, but I am already taking a few steps other than just listing it for sale here on LDDB. I have reached out directly to a few ld collectors/sellers not on LDDB to see if they might be interested. I am exploring eBay consignment services, although I am surprised to learn there are not many of those around. Anyone know of a good one? I have asked friends and family if any of them might be open to assisting me with listing/photography/selling, and I have put out a request at Nextdoor.com to see if there are any local, experienced eBay sellers who might be interested in taking on the sale of my collection in return for a sizable commission. I have not yet contacted any estate closing businesses, but they are also a possibility. I realize there are other selling options, including selling the lds individually myself, but it's only been a week and I still have not given up all hope of getting it sold here as a lot. Eric

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2021, 22:39 
True fan
True fan

ericeide wrote:
There are dozens of LDDB sellers, including Julien, who can vouch for my credibility. In the past 15 years, I have purchased more than 250 laserdiscs from LDDB sellers, totaling more than $15,000. Furthermore, I have been on eBay since April 1999 with 2,712 positive feedbacks.

Eric Eide

And I am one of them - I´d vouch for you! Eric was a great person to deal with, absolut 100% correct and he spend a lot of money on our deal.
I don´t visit the forum as often as in the past, but seeing Eric sell his collection and reading the whole thread, it reminded me of myself somewhere in the future. What are we doing with this stuff ? Surely, i agree with most of you, there´s not really much money to make, we all would be happy if we get what we once invested.
Well, about the collection, I´d love to browse it and if I had enough money, I´d buy if, so the hunt for several nearly impossible to get LDs would be over in a second. But well, I hope that you find someone willing to pay what you ask for, though I don´t believe you will. It´d be cool to hear from you when you sold it, good luck!
PS: But what interests me maybe more - was it a hard for you to finally part with your collection ?

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2021, 23:23 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thank you for your kind words, exinferis. I appreciate them very much. Danke schoen. Yes, the decision to try to sell my collection was a very difficult one. As recently as two years ago, I had given zero thought to that possibility. I figured I would hang on to it forever. There's no way of measuring the tremendous joy my collection has given me over the years. I love movies as much as Roger Ebert or Pauline Kael ever did. But as I grow older, I guess I have come to realize that I "can't take it with me" and, difficult as it is, I therefore need to take steps to dispose of it. It would be truly wonderful if this fabulous collection could wind up in the hands of someone who will obtain as much joy from it as I have. Eric

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2021, 19:44 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I'm offering $70 for DTS Jurassic Park, Signature The Thing & Criterion Seven if you decide to sell individually.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2021, 23:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

courtlyhades296 wrote:
I'm offering $70 for DTS Jurassic Park, Signature The Thing & Criterion Seven if you decide to sell individually.

70 each????
I think I sold my Signature Thing on ebay too cheap for 60 bucks.
Now they are higher.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2021, 02:19 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
courtlyhades296 wrote:

70 each????
I think I sold my Signature Thing on ebay too cheap for 60 bucks.
Now they are higher.

Make that $82 for all three together.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2021, 02:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Damn and I though I was cheap.

Oh wait I am :ugeek:

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2021, 21:18 
True fan
True fan

ericeide wrote:
Danke schoen.

You are welcome :-)
Well, it is as you say, one cannot take anything to the next level or whatever is coming after. I guess, as long as we find enjoyment in the stuff we collect, it´s worth it - but it´s also good to acknowledge when it´s time to let go.
Talking about it, did you have any luck yet finding a buyer ? I´m a broken record here, but I´d love to browse your stuff, haha...

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 01:50 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ATTENTION: I am reducing the price to $99,999. I'll give it one more week. If the lot doesn't sell for $99,999 by Wednesday, September 1, I will explore other selling options. This is your final opportunity to acquire one of the very finest laserdiscs collections in the entire world. Eric

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 05:40 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I mean sale or not, this is the craziest thing this site has ever seen and I don’t think it will be topped anytime soon.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 07:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Any photos?
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

Page 2 of 6 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next