It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:41

Page 3 of 6 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Major Collection For Sale - 3,773 Titles - $125,000
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 16:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Crazy in your mind, perhaps, substance, but not crazy at all for certain individuals and institutions. To name just three possibilities:

(1) a newcomer to laserdiscs who is passionate about the format, passionate about films, and passionate about music videos/concerts and who sees value in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to acquire a very large, instant collection. New people are still joining LDDB on a daily basis. It is not unreasonable to believe there might be at least one such newcomer who is interested in buying my collection.

(2) a library, a museum, or a films society, that sees value in preserving intact a historic collection such as mine

(3) a reseller who understands the profit potential in this collection

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 18:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

OK Here's the deal.

If I were to list 20 discs a day it would take me over 9 months.
I've got 100% positive feedback, I've been selling on ebay since 1999 and I do sell LDs and know how to list them professionally.

Even if we do get 100K for this and you give me 20% its not worth my time to live in your basement and being fed by you for that amount of money.

You are obviously rich and stupid, not crazy just plain ole stupid.

You think someone will give you house money for your collection of laserdiscs.

Can we get this beavis and butthead post pulled.
I don't care if the entire world vouches for him, he can't post pictures and is making stupid offers, but what else would you expect from a stupid rich person.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 19:05 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

My advice to you, rein-o, is that you stop following this thread, since it obviously disturbs you so much and since you apparently have little or nothing of value to contribute to the discussion. Don't worry, this thread and I will be gone soon enough, and then you can continue with your histrionic/mundane/repetitive/nonsensical postings elsewhere. Your hostility towards me, as well as your unfounded character smears, are both unfathomable and highly-inappropriate. What has happened to civility in our world? All I'm trying to do here is get my collection sold. Either that will happen or it won't. There's absolutely no reason for you to be so upset and so outraged about my doing that. I think people now have a better understanding of why I have chosen not to participate in LDDB forums until now, despite having been an LDDB member for over 15 years. Yes, rein-o, I even made a purchase from you back in 2010, although I don't expect you to vouch for me.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 20:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Ah yes I see in my feedback. Thanks for buying the disc, can't tell which one it was now due to feedback.

I can't vouch for anybody who is trying to sell stuff for house money, sorry, you are still being stupid thinking that you can sell this as a lot.
I've posted before you need to piecemeal this out. You also need pics and a way to do it.

I can think of 5 people you could take a large collection to auction etc but they will never touch LDs.

Thinking you can find the right single person is just stupid period.

Median price of houses in the country is around 300k give or take, you are asking for a third for a collection of LDs.
Unfortunately I've dealt with people like you for decades who have collections of stuff that takes many years or actually a lifetime to acquire
then you think you can sell it to a museum, didn't you know that museums don't really buy much if anything unless they are super rich
like Crystal Bridges. They aren't going to buy a collection of LDs.

I doubt that even that someone like Ernest Cline would buy this, that's the type of person you need and they aren't playing around on this forum.

In order to get a full cash price for something like this you need to know a person who knows a person that knows a person who can get you in contact
with such a person who is into pop culture that needs a 3rd of a house value in LDs.

Now at 100K you are asking for around 27 each disc, I'll sell my collection for 15 a disc, I have about 300 that's 4500, if you do find them let me know I'll sell mine too.......

I can apologize but that only gets you so far, and that means one has empathy, in this situation I have none.

EDIT: Median price of a house listed right now is 374,900.

Last edited by rein-o on 26 Aug 2021, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 23:01 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I think this tread is crazier than cararte starting LD production again. This last call before you pull the listing post was hilarious.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2021, 19:06 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
OK Here's the deal.

I've got 100% positive feedback, I've been selling on ebay since 1999 and I do sell LDs and know how to list them professionally.

Even if we do get 100K for this and you give me 20% its not worth my time to live in your basement and being fed by you for that amount of money.

I don't care if the entire world vouches for him, he can't post pictures and is making stupid offers, but what else would you expect from a stupid rich person.

Why this hate ?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2021, 20:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Lets all keep posting and see how long we can keep this topic running.
I'll post every few days to make sure its active for a long time.

Nothing wrong with selling at high or stupid high prices, I try all the time and sometimes I do luck out.

Hopefully this one works out, I'll sell my collection of 300 discs for 4000.00 I've got a few rare titles and a lot of great stuff.
And I'll give a list and pictures :) and I'll even toss in the 12 eurolite cases.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2021, 08:09 
True fan
True fan

ericeide wrote:
(sorry, no Cell, Limey, Titan A.E, Crimson River, or Tokyo Raiders)

You lost me here.
For that kind of money, that's a must.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2021, 09:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

exinferis wrote:
rein-o wrote:
OK Here's the deal.

Why this hate ?

Because nobody likes to be told what time it is by someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2021, 17:44 
Serious fan
Serious fan

This was the ULTIMATE LD flex. Well played.

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the responses from the usual suspects that know everything about LD. The rage and confusion combined with passive aggressive man-splaining is brilliant!

This sale is certainly ambitious and highly questionable in its realistic feasibility.

I don't doubt there are people out there with this sort of pay-load and quirky vintage sensibilities. There may only be a few but I'm sure they're out there. Doubtful they're seeing this sale post here, but that is obviously not the point of the OP.

I mostly agree with the rest of the group that this will not sell as-is and you'll likely have to re-think your approach if you really want to get rid of these LDs, especially with this crowd! I suspect you already knew that...

Seems like now is not the time to be selling since a lot of collections are getting dumped. I'll say its a buyers market right now and people looking to buy should be forcing prices down based on the flood about to hit the LD market.

"Oh, you want to sell that Matrix for $300? Then I'll just keep spinning my snapper case DVD that cost me $1...but I'll buy the LD for $50" Is how all negotiations should go from now on.

Good luck to you and the person who ends up with this collection :)

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2021, 20:09 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

The biggest issue here is that the sale is restricted to USA and local pickup.
Recent statistics reveal 63% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck and can't even cope with a $500 emergency.
Once the stimulus checks end that figure will be much higher.
That's not a good demographic for trying to sell an expensive collection to.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2021, 21:37 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Well, I can cite a study that says American millennials will inherit $68,000,000,000,000 (that's 68 trillion!) from their Baby Boomer parents by the year 2030. Transfers of that immense wealth to the next generation have already begun. There's plenty of big money floating around in this country, believe me. Whether there is a suddenly-rich millennial who might be interested in buying my collection, I do not know, but the money issue is really not that much of an impediment. Yes, yes, I know, rein-o, $99,999 is 1/3 of a house - no need to once again remind me of that. There are plenty of people with nice, mortgage-free houses who still have money to burn. If you don't believe that, you haven't been paying attention to what's happening in this country. Not saying everyone is rich, but a great many are, or soon will be.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2021, 23:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh I know, there is a stupid person who just bought a house a block away for 700K and the area value is around 150-200K.
And this area isn't even the hot area like Nashville where you list a house for 300K and get offers of 800K.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2021, 15:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ericeide wrote:
Well, I can cite a study that says American millennials will inherit $68,000,000,000,000 (that's 68 trillion!) of debt from their Baby Boomer parents by the year 2030.

Fixed that for you. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2021, 17:41 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Ha ha. Very funny. I am quite surprised to see that an LDDB member is able to edit another member's words when quoting them. Not good. I respectfully suggest Julien take steps to prevent that from happening again. Unlike certain other people participating in this thread - the three know-it-alls - I choose my words carefully, and I do not appreciate having them misquoted.

Some more information from the study I mentioned (you can check it out yourself by entering "$68 trillion inheritance" in your favorite search engine): At the time of the study, 2019, there were 618,000 millionaire Millennials in the United States, with an average age of 34 -37, and the majority of these having net worth somewhere between $1 million and $2.49 million. This is just 2% of the total number of millionaires in the United States, which means there were 30,900,000 millionaires in the United States in 2019. With the dramatic increase in home values the past couple of years, there's no reason to doubt - despite Covid - that the number has only risen since then. Granted, much of this wealth is tied up in home equity and retirement accounts, I imagine, but it's still a much larger number than even I would have thought. For many of these people with substantial disposable income/assets, my $99,999 asking price would be but a trifle. No, I am not fortunate enough personally to fall into that category, but they are definitely out there. In large numbers.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2021, 17:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’ve never said this in my life but I wish someone would lock this stupid thread.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2021, 17:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It gets removed after 2 or so weeks with no posts.
I for one will never let it close, this one is great, its like the Risk Apocalypse........

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2021, 19:52 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Signofzeta - Like I've said previously to rein-o, if this topic upsets you so much, then why do you continue to read it and respond to it? That is what I do not understand. No one is forcing you to read it. No one is forcing you to post replies. It is entirely your choice to do so.

But if Julien chooses to stop further discussion in this thread by locking it, as you are pleading with him to do, I am ok with that. I must admit I am growing somewhat weary of it myself. I think pretty much everything that needs to be said, has been said (and then some!). If people who might be sincerely interested still have questions about my collection, they can always PM me and I will be happy to answer any such questions to the best of my ability.

In any event, I will not be posting anymore, as long as everyone else agrees to bring this to an end and not post anymore yourselves. And even if you do, I'll try my best to refrain from replying, but no promises because sometimes the personal attacks and the inanities are just too hard to ignore.

Looks like my collection is not going to sell here, but I do not regret giving it a try. It's definitely been an experience. I am sure a sociologist or a psychologist could write a very interesting paper about how this thread has evolved (or should I say, devolved?) over the past three weeks.

Au revoir, everyone.

Eric

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2021, 21:08 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rein-o wrote:
I for one will never let it close, this one is great, its like the Risk Apocalypse........

I am with you on this. This should be a sticky and never expire.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2021, 00:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
rein-o wrote:

I am with you on this. This should be a sticky and never expire.

Maybe admin could move it after it runs its course before it deletes? Would be a shame to lose it.

Page 3 of 6 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next