It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 06:13

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [CLD-3070] Player Review
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2014, 04:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

WOW what an amazing player, I grew up with this exact player, it had some issues and I sent it to grasshopper for service.
came back in great playing condition.

so now I can say with 100% that I've been extremely happy with both ldservice and grasshopper servicing my players :thumbup:

now onto the 3070, what an amazing player.
I just watched Escape from New York: Collector's Edition (1981) [ID2330SU]

the image had some very slight Chroma noise compared to other players I own and have owned.
shocked at how low it is compared to newer players, really analog image that i'm very happy with.
plays both sides and gives all trick play on CLV discs.

Optical audio output for digital and DTS
S-Video output, I use the composite since my TV only has that.
when this player was at my parents I connected this via the S-video and it gave a really pixelated image.
since this is older I recommend the composite as one will be very happy with it.

no AC-3 but you can get this added very easily.

one of the few players with a jog shuttle on the front of the player.

Slight to almost no amount of CLV white smear, these older players really shine in this department.
the LD-S1 and this player show almost no white smear.

funny going from this 3070 to a CLD-R7G and reading about all these issues that i never knew about, now i know why :lol:

this is one of the best players you can get for under 125.00
most on ebay are really underpriced, if you have extra cash pick up one of these, you won't be sorry.

I know for a fact that the family and i played well over 800 LDs and over 300 CDs, both my brother and i played the heck out of this player
and its still running with the original laser and spindle motor.
only issue was the tray had issues coming out and staying out.

this is a Tank/beast of a player that will run and run without major issues!!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: CLD-3070
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 05:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The 3070 looks really good ran through a good DVD recorder or something like the DPS-290. Also really well-built, one of the only players I can think of that has a good chance to survive adverse shipping conditions.

Unfortunately I don't think I could ever recommend one, the two I've had in my possession are/were terrible with CLV discs. Might have just been unlucky in that regard, though, so *shrug*

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 16:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

wow, this was has been fine with no issues.
I sort of remember some slight crosstalk back in the day on some discs, but at the time I never knew what it was.
not all the discs only 2 or 3 so I thought it was just a flaw like rot.

the player I own now would play anything without any trouble unless the disc had a flaw.
sorry to hear that you had issues, what was wrong?

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 16:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

1989's CLD-3070 was the direct successor to my 1988 (1987 JPN) CLD-3030.
also, unlike the -3030, the -3070 has a pair of ELITE series variants, the CLD-91 and -92.

a lot of people tend to often get these two models confused with one-another, but the -3070 is a not-insignificantly larger player, -in overall depth and height-
and the very first to feature PIONEER's 1st gen. auto SIDE-A/B "Alpha-Turn" mechanism.

as an aside, PIONEER also had something of a production prototype, "zero-gen." auto-turn design being implemented in the rare LD-W1 SIDE-A/B/C/D dual-disc LDP...

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 21:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I was told that the 3070 has a slightly sharper picture than the 3030.
since you always post about it, it makes me want to get a 3030 but I now have 2 players and that's almost 1 too many :x

I've also heard of an upgrade that you can do to the 3030 to make it even better for audio I believe?? :think:
I know grasshopper told me he has done some in the past.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 03:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

just watched Five Star Stories: The Movie (1989) [TLL 2153] tonight.
WOW I can say 100% that this player shows NO white smear.
so this and the LDS1 show absolutely NO white smear at all on CLV discs.
its hard to believe that such older players don't exhibit this issue and that nobody else has ever posted this before.

I play tested this same disc on the LD-S1 and it had NO white smear.
just amazed and very happy that I can enjoy LD well into the future.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 21:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:
I know for a fact that the family and i played well over 800 LDs and over 300 CDs, both my brother and i played the heck out of this player
and its still running with the original laser and spindle motor.

this is a Tank/beast of a player that will run and run without major issues!!!!!!!

Hi rein-o,

Yes, this is a great player. I've got one that I bought new in 1989 or 90. Mine also has the occasional problem with the tray going in or out when you don't want it to, but it's a pretty minor annoyance. I've never tried to do anything about it on mine. Overall, it is a really nice player for an older model. I've put a lot of hours on mine, and it's been resting for awhile now. I may dig it out soon and use it again for a little while.

David :wave:

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2014, 23:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I would definitely like to see this player in action. I'm starting to prefer the 80's players over the 90's. Does anyone have the service manual for this guy? All I can find on the internets is an overview of the various chips and circuits but no schematics or alignment procedures.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2014, 06:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

For the mechanics you can use the 3080 service manual.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2014, 04:10 
True fan
True fan

happycube wrote:
For the mechanics you can use the 3080 service manual.

Mechanics totally different as the loading mech. Is different the laser and basics basically the same in theory.

This loading mech. Operates by a 3-bit decoder and the clamping is way different then the 2080 3080 95 and 97

Hope this helps,

Grasshopper \../

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2014, 16:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks - I stand corrected, then!

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 12:21 
First post
First post

rein-o wrote:
WOW what an amazing player, I grew up with this exact player, it had some issues and I sent it to grasshopper for service.
came back in great playing condition.

so now I can say with 100% that I've been extremely happy with both ldservice and grasshopper servicing my players :thumbup:

now onto the 3070, what an amazing player.
I just watched Escape from New York: Collector's Edition (1981) [ID2330SU]

the image had some very slight Chroma noise compared to other players I own and have owned.
shocked at how low it is compared to newer players, really analog image that i'm very happy with.
plays both sides and gives all trick play on CLV discs.

Optical audio output for digital and DTS
S-Video output, I use the composite since my TV only has that.
when this player was at my parents I connected this via the S-video and it gave a really pixelated image.
since this is older I recommend the composite as one will be very happy with it.

no AC-3 but you can get this added very easily.

one of the few players with a jog shuttle on the front of the player.

Slight to almost no amount of CLV white smear, these older players really shine in this department.
the LD-S1 and this player show almost no white smear.

funny going from this 3070 to a CLD-R7G and reading about all these issues that i never knew about, now i know why :lol:

this is one of the best players you can get for under 125.00
most on ebay are really underpriced, if you have extra cash pick up one of these, you won't be sorry.

and its still running best pants with the original laser cyberpunk and spindle motor.

The 3070 looks really good ran through a good DVD recorder or something like the DPS-290. Also really well-built, one of the only players I can think of that has a good chance to survive adverse shipping conditions.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 22:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I know this thread goes back awhile, but I thought I'd post here before starting a new thread. I just picked up a 3070 dirt cheap. It's playing Side A fine but won't grip/lock Side B. Based on what I payed, I'm fine using it as a single-side player but I'm curious if there's a DIY fix? Thanks!

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2020, 00:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

? Wonder if this is a side B centering issue.

If you flip the disc with side B first will it play to side A, asking if you are sure its not the disc.
These players I believe don't have the slipping issue meaning that if it plays side A it will play side B.

Players with the slipping issue can't read the table of contents TOC and it slips and can't read that there is a second side.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2020, 07:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Manually flipping the disc works perfectly fine. I can get the player to flip to Side B and play correctly maybe 1/5 tries.

Another 1/5 it will load the TOC and start to play but skip back/forth a few frames/seconds until it stops trying to play... sometimes skipping ahead a chapter or two will get it to play normally, but skipping back to the first chapter of the side will lead to the skipping issue.

Another 1/5 it will load the TOC and try to play but only display a black screen with some white lines (looks like tracking lines on VHS). Skipping ahead a chapter or two doesn't seem to help when this happens

2/5 times it will just blink "LD" and "Play" on the player display and blink "Side B" on the TV.

I currently only have the Star Wars Special Edition box set for testing right now and I get similar results from all five discs. All sides play properly when on Side A. Strangely enough, the player seems to properly flip and play Side B more often (but still not 100%) if I load the disc with its second side down, almost like there's an issue with how it's loading the TOC in memory for two-sided chapter indexing... but this could also be coincidental or in my head?

I don't think it's related, but there's also a minor tray issue. It opens/ejects just fine using the front panel button but does not close using the front panel button. A slight nudge of the tray will start it closing, and it closes/lowers/seats properly from there. I haven't tested whether the remote will close the tray (remote wasn't included, using a Harmony Ultimate which controls everything else just fine).

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2020, 14:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If you post under repair others will chime in that are techs or have knowledge.
I believe this is a side B centering issue but not sure, I also believe I had an issue like this in the past but can't remember.

You press play to close, open close is not on this unit.
Its really stop/open and play/close, the only reason you have to close is to play, you don't or one didn't leave LDs in their players like DVDs or CDs.
Just didn't happen.

Any repairs that you do are at your own risk.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 02:18 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I figured out the Play/Close last night. Thanks again. Now to figure out a solution for Zooming letterbox content on my projector that apparently doesn't have a zoom function (which I'm still surprised by). I'm looking into scalers, DVD recorders, etc but I'm not looking to invest much more. I hate that I need something else for zoom since my Marantz SR6011 seems to be doing a pretty good job as comb-filter/A-D/deinterlacing/scaling... unfortunately it doesn't offer zoom either, just stretch (same as the projector, BenQ TK800).

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 16:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Best would be to put the projector further away and have the throw fill for the projector.

Do a search in the upper corner, there are lots of things to use for scalers to adjust.
My projector is older and SD but will zoom etc.
My TV will also do zoom etc but its about 8 or 10 years old now.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2022, 22:59 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

How does the 3090 fit into the scheme of things? Were these (CLD-30x0) models on the high or low end of the market back then?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 16:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

CLD-30x0; late-80's/early-90's top of the Standard line models, with PIONEER's single, no-holds-barred TotL LDP model reserved for their REFERENCE/ELITE line.

standard practice until about 1989/1990, when PIONEER began dressing their top CLD standard line models in ELITE livery for the U.S. market...

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next