It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:53

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need to get the Kolchak JP import set one of these days
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2021, 16:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Been appreciating the classic Kolchak on METV Saturdays and now I want the Japan import set. So sad they only made so few eps of the groundbreaking horror/paranormal etc. classic. The LD set has no Japanese subs either - it puts the dub on another track which is nice.

Kolchak was another staple of the Sci-Fi channel back when it was about science fiction and not "SyFy" tier dreck too, fond memories watching it, along with stuff like anime and Harlan Ellison commentaries back in the 90s.

Post subject: Re: Need to get the Kolchak JP import set one of these days
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2021, 16:51 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

This is another show I wanted on LD but it’s been difficult to find and/or super expensive. There is a Blu-ray version coming out in a few weeks. Maybe we will see people dropping the LDs.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2021, 17:50 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Yeah, the two boxes seem to sell from 6000-8000 yen or so each on YJ, pretty pricey when most LD are worth dirt there. And with the current shipping situation, forget it. Looks like at least $100 a box for ones that are outside Japan, wow (and no completed on eBay, so not many over here). Let's hope more surface, indeed, from a blu ray upgrade.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 01:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

And I think it would be just amazing to watch Kolchak LDs on my vintage 1974 KV-1730R Trinitron I snagged off CL for 20 bucks - the same vintage as Kolchak. A top of the line set, Sony's first with a remote (uses solenoids to turn the knobs!) in a 3/4 inch plywood cabinet that weighs 63 pounds (just a 17 inch tube) and would cost $3k adjusted for inflation. Still working after nearly 50 years.

Figure I would hook my gas tube LD-660 top load player up to the Sony, as it's the oldest LD player I've got and pretty cool.

Attachments:
Sony-Brochure-Trinitron-TVs-KV-9200-_57.jpg
Sony-Brochure-Trinitron-TVs-KV-9200-_57.jpg [ 379.07 KiB | Viewed 1663 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2021, 04:48 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I do like this show. I have The Night Stalker disc, didn't realize there were more. I think I have watched them all on MeTV, though. I have never seen any other Kolchak discs but I sure would like to get more. I love the intro with the clock-stop moment! Intros for present-day TV shows are lame if they even have one. :roll:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2021, 00:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

You also can't beat the ending credit sequence either, with Kolchak closing up the office laughing as he crumples up another story from the typewriter he's knows Tony will never publish. Little touches like that really make the show while - just like with openings - today there would just be microscopic credits going a million MPH in a postage stamp in the corner while the whole screen is promo for the next crummy program.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2021, 02:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh man, I remember when the LD boxes were selling really cheap on ebay over 10 years ago, may have been 15 now that I think of it.
I wanted them but never pulled the trigger, the DVDs I think are OK but can't remember any reviews now.

What I want to see are the movies, I haven't ever seen them, the LD is in open matte or how they would have been broadcast years ago where as the DVD is
matted and I can't really see why as they were TV only stuff.

I may track down the films now, the series was cool but also corny and that may have been why I never bought a copy????

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]