It is currently 05 Dec 2021, 14:36




 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Is it still worth it buying the STTNG Japan box sets...
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 01:50 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2015, 18:35
Posts: 350
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
...when I can buy the Blu-Ray sets much cheaper?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it still worth it buying the STTNG Japan box sets...
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 00:38 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2015, 18:35
Posts: 350
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Then again the LD sets do keep their value to some extent. I have some of the 2003 region 1 releases and couldn't even get rid of them at a fiver each when I tried to sell them a few months back.

Just don't think the japan sets are worth more than £20 each however. It is the huge shipping cost from the US or Japan that is putting me off.

Weird answering my own question.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it still worth it buying the STTNG Japan box sets...
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 01:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2012, 23:14
Posts: 1190
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 251 times
daro2096 wrote:
Then again the LD sets do keep their value to some extent. I have some of the 2003 region 1 releases and couldn't even get rid of them at a fiver each when I tried to sell them a few months back.

Just don't think the japan sets are worth more than £20 each however. It is the huge shipping cost from the US or Japan that is putting me off.

Weird answering my own question.


Yes the shipping is the killer on sets like that & with payment in most cases in US $ plus given the exchange rate at the moment on GB £ sterling being pretty crappy (& for the foreseeable future) it makes them even more costly for UK buyers, don't think I will be buying much from outwith our shores for the next wee while.

Also didn't want you feeling "weird" answering your own question!!

Cheers
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it still worth it buying the STTNG Japan box sets...
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 01:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2015, 15:40
Posts: 813
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 90 times
je280 wrote:
Also didn't want you feeling "weird" answering your own question!!

lol

Well I have the blu-rays, R4 DVD (Best packaging of any region I think!), US LD's and Japanese LD's. Clearly I've not been excessive about this and am well placed to provide sensible advice!

I'm glad I have them, those nice shiny black box sets are very cool. Picked them all up complete with obi's for less than $10au each from Yahoo JP, but then yeah those big heavy discs, shipping was around $50au per box.
_________________
Looking for Hi-Vision Discs (MUSE or HDVS).......
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it still worth it buying the STTNG Japan box sets...
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016, 09:20 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2015, 18:35
Posts: 350
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
je280 wrote:
daro2096 wrote:
Then again the LD sets do keep their value to some extent. I have some of the 2003 region 1 releases and couldn't even get rid of them at a fiver each when I tried to sell them a few months back.

Just don't think the japan sets are worth more than £20 each however. It is the huge shipping cost from the US or Japan that is putting me off.

Weird answering my own question.


Yes the shipping is the killer on sets like that & with payment in most cases in US $ plus given the exchange rate at the moment on GB £ sterling being pretty crappy (& for the foreseeable future) it makes them even more costly for UK buyers, don't think I will be buying much from outwith our shores for the next wee while.

Also didn't want you feeling "weird" answering your own question!!

Cheers


Got in touch with a seller from Japan selling 4 sets and he(I am assuming it is a he) said he could ship for $72 but by sea mail. :( (I had a STDS9 season 2 vol 1 set sent by surface and it took at least 8 weeks to arrive, cost me about £40 in total but it arrived with the spines of the covers split due to the discs moving back and forth inside their covers I think. I hate those elephant condom sleeves). Don't know if the seller would accept £80 plus shipping for his sets plus the £60 for shipping. Looking at possibly £140-£160 for the 4 sets. Is it worth it?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it still worth it buying the STTNG Japan box sets...
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2021, 23:24 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested
User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 02:42
Posts: 48
Location: United States
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Yes. The blu-ray remasters, while excellently done, do have some revisionism issues. There are some composite shots, effects, cgi, etc. that are noticeably redone. Notable examples include the planets in orbital scenes, CGI Borg drones added to a cube interior shot in Q Who, and redone CGI for the Crystalline Entity. There are many other examples, admittedly mostly less noticeable stuff including corrections. To be honest, I personally went for just the blu-ray of season 2, for the reconstructed unaired extended edit of Measure of a Man.
_________________
My collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it still worth it buying the STTNG Japan box sets...
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2021, 23:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 02:41
Posts: 1789
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 296 times
yayanalog wrote:
Yes. The blu-ray remasters, while excellently done, do have some revisionism issues. There are some composite shots, effects, cgi, etc. that are noticeably redone. Notable examples include the planets in orbital scenes, CGI Borg drones added to a cube interior shot in Q Who, and redone CGI for the Crystalline Entity. There are many other examples, admittedly mostly less noticeable stuff including corrections. To be honest, I personally went for just the blu-ray of season 2, for the reconstructed unaired extended edit of Measure of a Man.

Stuff like the Crystalline Entity had to be redone, the original effect was only ever rendered in SD.

I have the old 20th Anniversary DVD box set and while I don't mind the changes, I had to keep it because Paramount didn't bother porting over all the extras from past releases, and I hate it when studios do that. But I suppose if you just want to watch the show in SD, Laserdisc is probably the best it's gonna look.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it still worth it buying the STTNG Japan box sets...
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 01:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 7483
Location: Dullaware
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 596 times
We do all know that this bot resurrected a dead topic from 2016 right???
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it still worth it buying the STTNG Japan box sets...
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 01:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 02:41
Posts: 1789
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 296 times
That explains why it seemed so strangely off-topic, I thought they were just being metaphorical.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it still worth it buying the STTNG Japan box sets...
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 06:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2018, 14:21
Posts: 1174
Location: New Delaware
Has thanked: 307 times
Been thanked: 340 times
It's on Hulu. Whatever versions they are airing look alright to me, and are in HD.
_________________
Blog: The Coterie / L'boxd: Diary
Pioneer CLD-R7G, CLD-D925 | Yamaha APD-2 | DVDO Edge, VP50 Pro
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: