It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:55

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Would I like the wire, sopranos or mad man?
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 05:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I am a hardcore sci-fi fan, not the kind of marvel tv shows but star trek, fringe, x-files, lost, bsg type shows. I like some drama shows too, I really liked twin peaks, orange is the new black. Some other ones are the blacklist, csi, walking dead, game of thrones, shameless.

I was recommended breaking bad. I was told it was the best show ever. I could barely make it to the end of second season. Now I am told the wire is the best drama ever. I watched the first episode and it looks like it is show it needs time to get hook. I don't want to be disappointed like the breaking bad after investing several hours. Given this background, should I really bother?

As for sopranos and mad man, I don't really like mafia flix, I didn't really like the godfather that much to begin with.

Post subject: Re: Would I like the wire, sopranos or mad man?
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 11:48 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Likes or dislikes are a very personal thing. I've never based my viewing on what others have recommended as I have virtually always been disappointed by over the top reviews.

These days I give any film or series a trial on youtube first if I am unsure about what it will be like.
If I like it I might invest in purchasing it but if not then no money is wasted.
I also don't spend hours trying to persuade myself to like someone else's favourite.
I have to connect to it myself and quickly - if I don't I move on as there are plenty of decent series to watch.

That way you will end up with a very personal collection and not a series of boxsets that looks
like you bought the top 10 recommended titles for 2015.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 18:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I love the Godfather and I adore The Sopranos series.

The Wire? A big No for me but that doesn't make it bad.
Always adored Fargo as a movie! Now I worship the tv show 8-) :thumbup:

Netflix is the way to go if you want to investigate series. My daughter has The Walking Dead for breakfast :lol:
I dislike Horror in general. She thinks Maffia is boring... I like Cosa nostra 8-)

To each his own :thumbup:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2015, 03:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

thanks for the replies guys. I don't really dislike the Godfather but I don't really like it either. It is a good movie for me and it ends there. I don't get the urge to re watch it like other movies. I loved Fargo actually. I never explored the show. Horror isn't my cup of tea either but Supernatural and Walking Dead got me hooked somehow. I wouldn't rank them as best shows but I admit I enjoy them a lot.

I agree, taking others recommendations usually end up being bad decisions. The problem is I sleep like 4 hours a day and watch too much TV. Its been going on like this for years. I have already consumed most of the great TV shows. Movies are great but I get better value from TV shows because they last many hours at binge watching. I also prefer shows that are already over so I don't have wait a year for the following season.

Netflix is great that it has a vast catalog for TV shows and inexpensive to go through several seasons but I can't stand the quality they offer some of the shows. HD picture is pleasing but the audio is unbearable. I have a several deca thousand dollar audio setup and it reveals every little issue in the sound. Also, some shows aren't available in HD(older shows) and you can watch them in 480p. Compression artifacts are very distracting and their progressive scan format really sucks. Most of these shows in used market are $10-15 a season nowadays.

The problem with shows like the wire and sopranos is you have to give them extensive time. Maybe 6-7 episodes before things get interesting. That's 5 hours or watching before you know if you like the show or not.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2015, 09:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Finished Fargo season 2 just yesterday. episode 9 was mindblowing :thumbup:
The finale "Palindrome" was a bit of a letdown revealing wise but enjoyable.
Picking it up on BR when it get's released anyway.

I watched The Sopranos 3 times in the past. true, it takes some time but those faces, that atmosphere people breath in the show...
Oh, I miss J. Gandolfini. Think of all great things that man could have done if only he had lived :(
He had one of those faces ...
I always enjoy him standing in the Pool with those ducks. He really pushed the limit playing T. Soprano

Read sad news about John Hurt ( another legend IMHO) the other day... the poor man suffers from cancer.
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 23:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Substance,

It sounds like our tastes are very similar in TV. Star Trek, Stargate, BSG, etc.
I recently watched both The Wire and Sopranos. I enjoyed both shows quite a bit. I know your post is a few months old but if you're still wanting opinions....
Of course I also like watching shows from my growing up period, 70s and 80s. Magnum PI, Rockford Files, just to name a few.

Bosch is a good new show, on Amazon prime but only 2 seasons so far. I've read all the books it is based on.
Blue Bloods I'd a very solid show too.
Anyway I'm just rambling on, just wanted to throw in my two cents

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2016, 22:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The Wire is simply without any doubt the best show there is and ever will be on this planet.

It is exceptional and I seriously doubt that anything else will ever surpass it in terms of quality, storytelling, acting etc.

I like sci-fi stuff ( DS9 is my favourite without any doubt ) but The Wire is just mind blowing.

I also liked the fact that it had many Polish Americans in it :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]