It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 17:41

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Favorite Star Trek single LD?
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2023, 08:47 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

What is your favorite Star Trek single LD? I mean which single disc is your favorite combination of episodes?

For me, it's Return of the Archons / Space Seed (OG).

Unfortunately, it seems so many discs have a good episode paired with a bad one, like Elementary Dear Data / Outrageous Okona (NG). Or maybe how The Best of Both Worlds parts one and two are split up on to two different discs.

Post subject: Re: Favorite Star Trek single LD?
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2023, 11:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Mine is "Balance of Terror" ....
Do not even recall the episode on the flip side.
Felt the hatred and war with the Romulan Empire was well spelled out.
The mysterious plasma energy raiding of nearby neutral zone settlements spiced up the suspense....

The whole episode is a standout for me being an avid trekkie.
The mutual respect among the two adversaries brings me to watch it repeatedly from time to time.
Never has gotten old......

Cheers to the membership !

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2023, 19:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I only had the Japanese box sets but sold them when I moved to pickup the DVD sets.

Space Seed and Balance of Terror are 2 great episodes.
I've been watching the star trek channel on pluto and just let it run, some of the later seasons are a bit of a drag, could search up but I'm being lazy.
The episode with white gorilla that bites Kirk, very fun but very bad, those wigs ugh :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2023, 22:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

The Captains Collection is the only NTSC LD with any Star Trek Voyager episodes in it. I have almost all Star Trek Laserdiscs except the films. If I must own only one, I would probably keep the Captains Collection which has an episode from each TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager shows.

Star Trek The Captains Collection

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2023, 17:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

My favourite ST LD is the original UK PAL LaserVision release of The Motion Picture.

One of the first LDs I owned, played on a Philips VLP700 the analogue sound was fantastic through my early Dolby Surround processor; hearing the Klingon torpedoes through the rear speakers was a definite treat.

Pan and Scan was just the job for a 20" CRT TV, and the gatefold sleeve looked amazing - even though on the inside of the gatefold there were just logos for other CIC films, rather than a nice photo of the Enterprise or something...

Sadly the LD for STII was not such a pleasant experience, as the sound (on the original analogue release) was very poor I recall...

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2023, 00:59 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

firehorse_44 wrote:
Mine is "Balance of Terror" ....
Do not even recall the episode on the flip side.

Yeah, that is a great episode. Unfortunately, the flip side is the dull and obvious "Conscience of the King". Another example is the awesome "City on the Edge of Forever" is paired with the dreadful "The Alternative Factor". Not as big of a deal these days since most discs can be found for around five dollars. But back in the day, these discs were thirty or forty dollars new. It really burned the ol' wallet to spend that much knowing that one episode was not worth it.

I was thinking more of which pair of episodes make a great single laserdisc. Another one I like is "Squire of Gothos" with "Arena" on the flip side; both are fun to watch even if not perfect. And most of the movies are great, no question, though I was thinking more of the single disc releases. What ones do you think are the best pair of good episodes?

I hadn't even thought about boxsets. If you look at single discs from the boxsets, "The Best of Both Worlds" is on a single disc, which is great. On the other hand, one of Voyager's greatest episodes, "Meld", is paired with "Threshold" which is undoubtedly the worst hour of any Star Trek that I have ever seen!

Anyways, what do you think is the best pair of Star Trek episodes on one of the single LD's?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2023, 09:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My curiosity is sparked.
Going to revisit my Star Trek LD's and give a thought to this Query.

Will attend this over the next few weeks. Living a bit haphazardly until my new home construction is finished over the next few months. Spun up my first LD since Dec 2021 recently at a GF's house so the hobby is finally "tangible" again.

Thanks for this thread.

Cheers to the membership......

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2023, 06:17 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Not an episode. But probably both editions of First Contact Japanese Laserdisc.

Insurrection Laserdisc for having the only source of the theatrical Stereo mix audio in high quality.

SLV of TMP Evergreen.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2024, 22:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Star Trek DS9: Triple Tribble Troubles [PLTEB 36231]

A nice compilation of Tribble episodes from three different series:
Side one - A remastered version of The Trouble with Tribbles from the original series, part one of the Animated Series episode More Tribbles, More Trouble.
Side two - part two of the Animated Series episode More Tribbles, More Trouble, the Deep Space 9 episode Trials and Tribble-Ations, and a trailer for First Contact.
So far as I know there was only a Pal version, I don't think it was available on NTSC.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2024, 18:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

…that’s your favorite?

It’s too bad they didn’t make it an all-Spock across different series LD. That could be legit handy. Spock has a really good episode in the animated series that covers stuff not seen elsewhere involving his childhood. You could combo that with the TOS episode where he falls in love and the TNG episode where Sarek loses his mind.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2024, 07:58 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have never watched any of the TV show episodes, but I do love the movie "Star Trek IV". I saw it in a good theater, and I bought the laser disc as soon as it came out, in about 1986 or so.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2024, 05:05 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

ffutures wrote:
Star Trek DS9: Triple Tribble Troubles [PLTEB 36231]

I love the idea of Star Trek compilations. Before I really got into using the internet, I used to think the episodes on laserdisc were purposely paired one good with one bad to get you to buy more discs. It wasn't until later that I learned how to look up series episodes guides and figured out they were released together in order. It just seems like most of the good ones are paired with a bad one. It also never occurred to me that someone would want to collect them all. I do have many Star Trek discs but for the most part, just ones that I really like. I do have both the OG Tribbbles and DS9 Tribbles but not on a single disc; had to buy unrelated and not great episodes with them.

I did have an opportunity once at a garage sale some years ago to buy the entire OG Star Trek for $50 but I turned it down. I probably should have bought them but I just don't have room. I don't think I would have ever watched a bunch of them anyways.

Anyways, I have the Borg collection and it's great. All good episodes in one box without a bunch of unrelated episodes I wouldn't watch.

signofzeta wrote:
You could combo that with the TOS episode where he falls in love

Which one? I'm no OG Star Trek expert but I can think of at least four episodes where Spock falls in love. I own three of them! :mrgreen:

Which reminds me, I found another good OG Star Trek single LD: The Savage Curtain / All Our Yesterdays

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2024, 12:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
…that’s your favorite?

It’s too bad they didn’t make it an all-Spock across different series LD. That could be legit handy. Spock has a really good episode in the animated series that covers stuff not seen elsewhere involving his childhood. You could combo that with the TOS episode where he falls in love and the TNG episode where Sarek loses his mind.

It's my favourite on a single LD, which was the topic. Spock is in so many episodes he'd need a boxed set, a big one!

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2024, 17:13 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

The Insurrection Laserdisc has very good audio. Japanese AC3 pressing.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]