It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:05

Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fawlty towers is racist
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 20:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
A few episodes of FAWLTY TOWERS already had little bits clipped, the major & Basil talking bits spring to mind.

The episodes broadcast here in the UK have been like that for quite a few years now.

Lots of series have had a similar treatment.

Thankfully we still have FAWLTY TOWERS as they were originally broadcast on LDs, the US box set & the other discs issued.

There are going to be quite a few things here in the UK that are unlikely to be shown on TV again.

Some people just don't get it so there will be many things that will no longer be seen, rather sad all round.

I was about to ask if the lds were the broadcast version then saw you mentioned it. Excellent, looking forward to it.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 20:17 
True fan
True fan

gypsy wrote:
Ha, this piqued my interest. I placed a buy order from a shop here. :)

Well done gypsy. You cant go wrong! :thumbup:

signofzeta wrote:
It was ALWAYS considered a backward film. Literally from the day it was released. It was never ever “all of the sudden racist”. That is a false statement and people shouldn’t feel good about saying things like that. It premiered in a theater in a city where the very star of the film was not allowed to attend. Why didn’t they premiere it some state that wasn’t s****y? Because it was a story more popular in Georgia than probably anywhere else. If they opened in NYC or LA nobody would have known WTF it was. Controversy has ALWAYS been with this movie. It wasn’t a “liberals took it off the market.” That never happened. Disney is the owner, THEY don’t want to sell it. It’s there’s, they don’t have to. This is not a “ban”.

Secondly, it’s not considered racist because it depicts black people as slaves. It’s considered a dangerous fantasy because it depicts slavery as a happy place for black people. It idealizes the setting, that’s the issue. It makes it seem like everything was just like a new ride a Disneyland when it fact the US slave industry was 400 years of one of the crudest most inhumane murder machines every designed.

Now, knowing how badly you mischaracterized that, I’d just love to hear this episode of a radio show you heard to hear what they really said.

That may be true. But I can only speak from my own experience. I had the film on VHS when I was a kid. An officially released VHS by Disney. They were obviously happy to sell it at one point. I always saw the film as a harmless kids movie. The animated segments were my favourite and for me Uncle Remus was always the hero of the film. Its only later when I became older the film "suddenly became racist". I was being told a film I used to watch and enjoy as a kid is no longer acceptable and is offensive. Some people can be offended but I'm not and never was.

Its the same with Fawlty towers to a degree. A comedy program I used to sit and watch with my family when I was a kid is suddenly now racist and unacceptable. Well I for one am not subscribing to it.

Last edited by odotb3 on 12 Jun 2020, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 20:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

gypsy wrote:
je280 wrote:
A few episodes of FAWLTY TOWERS already had little bits clipped, the major & Basil talking bits spring to mind.

The episodes broadcast here in the UK have been like that for quite a few years now.

Lots of series have had a similar treatment.

Thankfully we still have FAWLTY TOWERS as they were originally broadcast on LDs, the US box set & the other discs issued.

There are going to be quite a few things here in the UK that are unlikely to be shown on TV again.

Some people just don't get it so there will be many things that will no longer be seen, rather sad all round.

I was about to ask if the lds were the broadcast version then saw you mentioned it. Excellent, looking forward to it.

Oh boy, I was going to sell this set and pickup the DVDs to replace but now that I see this I'll stick with the LD.
Wonder how much of the original Python is cut?? Just got that DVD box a few months ago.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 20:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

odotb3 wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Thanks for the tip too. I just bought the box set on eBay too. Complete with 'heartbreak tax' to Ireland.

Decided to get in before the scalpers ruin it for everyone.

I wish there was an easier way to get Only Fools and Horses fully uncut. Impossible task though.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 20:57 
True fan
True fan

teddanson wrote:
odotb3 wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Thanks for the tip too. I just bought the box set on eBay too. Complete with 'heartbreak tax' to Ireland.

Decided to get in before the scalpers ruin it for everyone.

I wish there was an easier way to get Only Fools and Horses fully uncut. Impossible task though.

Well done to you too, ted. Just finished watching the first 2 episodes and honestly can say I havent laughed that much in a while. Only Fools and Horses is another great British show that I would recommend to anyone. Sadly no Laserdisc release but I've still got my VHS boxsets somewhere.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 21:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I got the box set that looks the same as the Andy Warhol one posted here. The US one. Hopefully they are all full fat, as God intended episodes?

Only $6!. .......... plus $572,672,999,826,407,538,999.99c heartbreak tax. :cry:

OFAH is only uncut on the original broadcasts and the partwork magazine VHS tapes IIRC?

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 21:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Only 12 episodes made & not a single bad one among them.

The FAWLTY TOWERS sign at the start changed on each episode, loved the FLOWERY TWATS one on The Anniversary & FARTY TOWELS on Basil the Rat.

Episode 1 – A Touch of Class: Fawlty Towers (the letter S is cockeyed)
Episode 2 – The Builders: Fawlty Tower (the letter L is cockeyed)
Episode 3 – The Wedding Party: Fawty Tower (the letter W is cockeyed)
Episode 4 – The Hotel Inspectors: Fawty Toer
Episode 5 – Gourmet Night: Warty Towels
Episode 6 – The Germans: No sign (The action starts at a hospital)
Episode 7 – Communication Problems: Fawlty Tower (the letter L is cockeyed)
Episode 8 – The Psychiatrist: Flay Otters
Episode 9 – Waldorf Salad: Watery Fowls
Episode 10 – The Kipper and the Corpse: Fatty Owls
Episode 11 – The Anniversary: Flowery Twats
Episode 12 – Basil the Rat: Farty Towels

Anyone who has not seen the series will not be disappointed in it I would think & I will be spinning my FAWLTY TOWERS LDs again soon.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 21:12 
True fan
True fan

teddanson wrote:
I got the box set that looks the same as the Andy Warhol one posted here. The US one. Hopefully they are all full fat, as God intended episodes?

OFAH is only uncut on the original broadcasts and the partwork magazine VHS tapes IIRC?

They are all uncut on LD thankfully. The OFAH vhs sets are not censored as far as I know. Unlike the DVD or streaming versions which are heavily censored in places.

je280 wrote:
Only 12 episodes made & not a single bad one among them.

Anyone who has not seen the series will not be disappointed in it.

These statements are true. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 21:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just bought the two PAL box sets to go with the US set. I didn't realise the US set was stitched together. Good to have it in my collection though.

Just saw that Genesis LD that was posted here the other day too. Got it for a tenner. Happy days.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 21:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:

Now, knowing how badly you mischaracterized that, I’d just love to hear this episode of a radio show you heard to hear what they really said.

Not just on a radio show here in the UK.

Mentioned in our papers & morning news programmes & quite a few other places.

LITTLE BRITAIN & also BO SELECTA are now in the "racist" radar thing here - rather strange times.

Leigh Francis has now pulled his BO SELECTA series.

Bits below from UK media sources.....

On 4 June 2020, Francis apologised on Instagram, as himself, for his portrayal of various black celebrities on Bo' Selecta!. In the video description he added "Following recent events, I’ve done a lot of talking and learning and I would like to put this out there. I want to apologise to anyone that was offended by Bo’selecta. I’m on a constant journey of knowledge and just wanted to say I’m deeply sorry. #blacklivesmatter"

Bo' Selecta, which originally aired from 2002 to 2004, has since been removed from Channel 4's All4 on-demand service.

"We support Leigh in his decision to reflect on Bo' Selecta in light of recent events and we've agreed with him to remove the show from the All 4 archive," said Channel 4 in a statement.

Fawlty Towers, Little Britain and The League of Gentlemen are among shows whose content has been reassessed, resulting in their removal from some streaming platforms.

There are going to be many shows unlikely to be seen again & many many others cut/clipped/consored /amended - lots are already like that here now.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 22:20 
True fan
True fan

Me and my friend was talking about this the other day. We were massive Bo Selecta fans back in the day. Its so sad that Leigh Francis has to retroactively denounce the work that undeniably made him famous. Now it has been erased from streaming services. Does Leigh Francis want his fans to feel bad for enjoying his work?

It was like a sketch show where he would put on masks and impersonate the celebrities of the day. The show was stitched together by his character 'Avid Merion', who would stalk celebrities and try to lock them in his cupboard. It was wierd and zany but it was funny. A parody on contemporary culture. He equally made fun of both black and white celebrities and none of it was ever seen as racist. It was just funny. He parodied Michael Jackson, Mel B and Trisha to name a few.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA80cUOuQR0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBwtfC4QiP0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIkgcjD_MCw

Little Britain was an edgy show pushing the bounderies of comedy. I remember people being offended then. Doesnt mean its not funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFjDzaH3lKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQE0blj5iyI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP9ShgxE2_A

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 22:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:

Oh boy, I was going to sell this set and pickup the DVDs to replace but now that I see this I'll stick with the LD.
Wonder how much of the original Python is cut?? Just got that DVD box a few months ago.

The DVD set is also well up on eBay, probably above what you would want to spend on it. I know that was the case for me.

teddanson wrote:

Only $6!. .......... plus $572,672,999,826,407,538,999.99c heartbreak tax. :cry:

I thought about that copy, but after just receiving an LD off eBay that came in a box with absolutely zero padding or any kind of protection (it did survive, thankfully) I opted to buy from a seller on here that I've bought from before. I hope it reaches you safely.

Some of my favorite comedy of all time is from England, so I'm surprised this had not come on my radar previously.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 22:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Some other notes:

Faulty Towers is great.

Gone with the Wind frankly sucks. It’s the Avengers of the 1940s. Regardless, nobody is banning it. It’s being removed from HBO Max so they can whip up a mini doc to run with it that explains how racist and massively unrealistic it is.

Another thing I’d like to say is that things like Gone With the Wind do not suddenly offend people one day. Gone With the Wind ALWAYS offended people. It just offended people that had no voice so they just had to take it like all the other BS. Now they don’t, and you’re just learning what the issue is centuries late, clueless and confused. Try not to be such a prat about it.

Gone With the Wind sucks, I agree. I tried to watch it since it came in my LD lot and it's a 4 hour chore.

Fawlty Towers seems genuinely funny. When I looked it up the first thing I noticed is John Cleese was involved, which is a good sign.

Gone With the Wind (film) and Faulty Towers (TV series) are nearly the same length. That’s something to ponder.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 23:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

je280 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Not just on a radio show here in the UK.

Mentioned in our papers & morning news programmes & quite a few other places.

LITTLE BRITAIN & also BO SELECTA are now in the "racist" radar thing here - rather strange times.

Leigh Francis has now pulled his BO SELECTA series.

Bits below from UK media sources.....

On 4 June 2020, Francis apologised on Instagram, as himself, for his portrayal of various black celebrities on Bo' Selecta!. In the video description he added "Following recent events, I’ve done a lot of talking and learning and I would like to put this out there. I want to apologise to anyone that was offended by Bo’selecta. I’m on a constant journey of knowledge and just wanted to say I’m deeply sorry. #blacklivesmatter"

Bo' Selecta, which originally aired from 2002 to 2004, has since been removed from Channel 4's All4 on-demand service.

"We support Leigh in his decision to reflect on Bo' Selecta in light of recent events and we've agreed with him to remove the show from the All 4 archive," said Channel 4 in a statement.

Fawlty Towers, Little Britain and The League of Gentlemen are among shows whose content has been reassessed, resulting in their removal from some streaming platforms.

There are going to be many shows unlikely to be seen again & many many others cut/clipped/consored /amended - lots are already like that here now.

Oh man, I would pay real money out of my own pocket to see Little Britain disappear.

The UK has “banned” a lot of stupid things over the years. Nunchucks, God Save the Queen, the machine gun sound at the beginning of Last Train to Trancentral, tons of stuff. It’s usually a fad and only genuinely affects a small portion of the public from what I see. Normally the only place it’s banned is the BBC. They’re not going to break into your house and seize your copy of Derek on Blu-ray, calm down.

And if they never show Faulty Towers uncut again, it’s not the worst situation. There are millions of copies of it on video, infinite pirate copies. Honestly most people watching the show in 2020 aren’t even in the UK. It’s doing most fine for a 50 year old show and anyone with a connection can download the entire thing in minutes.

Lastly...when the very guy who made thing thinks it’s time to give it a break...who are you?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 23:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Lastly...when the very guy who made thing thinks it’s time to give it a break...who are you?

Just a guy posting on here pointing out what is happening in the UK at the moment.

I am not defending any show or series but some things are being done for the most banal reasons.

BTW Leigh Francis has only done what he has because of comments from Trisha Goddard after he put a BLM thing on twitter or instagram or whatever it was - Craig David & Trisha Goddard among others have had quite a number of issues with him in his Avid Merrion incarnation for years. Perhaps he is growing up a bit now.

Very odd how some things are happening, TV shows, cartoons, films now pulled or cut/changed.... what next - change history?

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 01:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah they released a newer version so the price is all over the place on the DVD, and I would hate to buy something I already own
to sell the LD for 8 bucks.

Another great show that I grew up watching from the UK is the Young Ones, always a great one.
The DVD I own has tons of artifacts but I just don't think too much and just enjoy.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 02:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well I like Gone With the Wind.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 06:58 
Site Admin
Site Admin

odotb3 wrote:
Its the same with Fawlty towers to a degree. A comedy program I used to sit and watch with my family when I was a kid is suddenly now racist and unacceptable. Well I for one am not subscribing to it.

John Cleese also disagrees.

Fawlty Towers: John Cleese attacks 'cowardly' BBC over episode's removal

Julien

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 07:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The more people get tangled in diversity politics it is funny how diversity of thought is vehemently attacked.
The sjw's defend diversity, yet diversity of thought is not on the menu of decent behavior, forget manners.

Unless one is lock step with the social justice warriors spoonfed narrative then one is ostracized and labeled a "white supremacist", a racist, or the cliche "nazi".
What a clever way to marginalize anyone NOT in the collective ........
So insecure one must be if a discussion involving different opinions threatens someone so badly to the core.

This movement is alien to me.
I understand the hardship many peoples have endured throughout history.
The past has been violent, cruel, and without mercy for thousands of years.
Mankind has ruled by conquest for as long as history has been recorded.

Does this mean we keep "living there", dredging up old injuries, pain, and hardships ?
When will we stop living in the past and start living for today with our eyes and minds on tomorrow ?

People need to decide at what point do we "live and let live".
The 20th century is ripe with examples of collective power grabs.
Genocide, communism, and fascism played out there and were eventually defeated at great cost.
Do we need to tear down our western society and learn the same lessons again ?

Time will tell.

I have Irish, English, French Canadian, Hudson Bay Inuit, and some other bloodlines mixed up in my DNA/RNA epigenome.
However I am an American, and in America we ALL have the privilege of a legal system predicated upon the individual NOT the collective.
Equal opportunity is a work in progress however getting better as time marches on.
This is a relatively new experiment to humanity.
Yes there is imbalance, greed, and injustice however it is a work in progress. Not perfect in any sense.
Civil rights have improved legally more in the last 40 years then anytime since this colony broke from England.
Work is needed, government needs reform, education needs reform, and our corporations need restraint.
Dont ask me how people..... easy to point what needs fixing, hardest to fix though.

Do we tear it all down in the name of diversity excluding diversity of thought and free speech ?

When the French had their revolution, they guillotined the aristocracy for nearly three years, bringing the "knife" to every village to "eat the rich".
This was a failed revolution because the revolutionaries did not know how to rule. (My opinion)

The world, especially the states are at a tipping point.
Will reason and manners prevail ?
Will intolerance and ignorance sweep us into a collective cluster F**k ?

People need to take notice and decide how they can make their opinions count.
The mob is gearing up, we have seen the looting and beatings of storefront owners bludgeoned into unconsciousness.

The gig is up kids.
We gotta lay it on the line. Everyone to their own ability and capacity. As individuals if we wish to keep freedom an option, we need to s**t or get off the pot........ the mob is coming, and they dont care ......

Fortune favors the strong.

Cheers to the membership

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 08:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've said it before and I say it again; the only kind of culture "cancel culture" is is the kind that grows in a petri dish.

Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next