It is currently 28 Mar 2020, 21:41

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Getting the best picture when capturing LD to computer
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 02:54 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I have several music LaserDiscs (concerts) that have either never been released on DVD, or the DVD quality is questionable and I feel like I can get a better picture from LD with the proper processing. I'm trying to figure out the best process to get the highest picture quality, and I'm sure some of you have been down this road before.

In the past I've never been fully happy with my results, but I think I've recently come up with a pretty decent chain of steps to get something nice... BUT I'm wondering if anybody has any further suggestions/changes. Maybe something I haven't considered?

Here's what I'm doing.

Connection: CLD-406 composite output --> Panasonic DMR-ES15 for good 3D comb filtering --> S-video to PC capture device

Record in Virtualdub at 720x480 lossless with Lagarith.

Filtering:
1. Stolyarevskiy Sergey's "Frequency Suppressor of the Noise 3.6.1" filter
2. Avisynth QTGMC deinterlacing.
3. Levels adjustment, depends on specific disc but usually stretching 16-236 to 0-255 works well
4. If the LD is particularly noisy, at this step I apply another one of Sergey's filters "Nonlinear Smoothing Loss-Free 3D matrix 3*3"

Any additional steps or alternate filter suggestions? I've tried quite a few different ones, but so far found Sergey's to be the best.

Post subject: Re: Getting the best picture when capturing LD to computer
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2020, 02:12 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Here's a sample of the quality I get with my current process.

http://108.61.202.214/laserdisc_sample.mkv

I think it looks pretty good, but there's still some minor noise that you can especially notice in very blue or red spots. I can't really seem to get rid of it without noticeably losing detail. Any tips for me, or is this pretty much the limit of what I can squeeze out of an LD? :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]