It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:06

Page 3 of 9 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you using to upscale your LD Player on New 4K T
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2018, 20:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ertoili wrote:
Well Led its fine and understand that some people don't want to deal anymore with second or third hand dirty old heavy washing machines like CRT tv's but there is still big advantage on the motion clarity dptment

I know what you’re saying but unless you have seen this same model of TV you’re not speaking from experience. Trust me. I have loads of CRTs and they aren’t going anywhere.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 19:46 
True fan
True fan

Do you guys think there is an affordable new or newer set that can match the quality of HD CRTs? My 960 has the power board issue now and I can't find a repair tech locally. I had thought about going plasma finally but to get a nice model is a needle in a haystack and then you run into used models being sold by people either trying to hide defects or wanting an exorbitant amount of money.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 21:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Regarding newer 4k TVs, specifically Sony brand...

I used this site as a starting point for my settings: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x810c

They have extensive information and tests for calibrating your TV/monitor. Where a lot of the info you see online is questionable I trust these guys due to the level of detail and extremes they go to with product testing.

Anyway, I've been tweaking settings back and forth for a while on this TV and feel like I've found the ideal settings for LD on this display (Sony XBR55X810C). This TV has memory for each input so you can set the Composite input correctly without affecting other inputs.

Aside from the actual picture settings which I made with Video Essentials, there were a few settings that I had not initially utilized until recently. Those settings being the "Motion Flow", "Cine Motion", and any kind of Noise Reduction.

Re-visiting the site linked above I was drawn to the section on 24p playback and motion interpolation. I had avoided these settings previously because I don't like the soap opera effect (SOE) and don't want to be adding fake frames that don't exist.

Then, after reading the individual sections by clicking on the "learn more" links I realized what this was; an inverse telecine circuit! As you can see in the review, my TV handles 24p over 60i. It is a 120Hz display so it will deal with anything you throw at it.

Basically, by setting "Motion Flow" to "True Cinema" and the "Cine Motion" to "High" you are detecting 24p content that has been telecine-ed to 60i, it reconstructs the original 24 frames and then uses the 120hz refresh to do a 5:5 conversion also preserving the original 24 FPS of the film. This has made a significant improvement in clarity and motion for me.

Sony has used these terms in previous models and they have not always had the same effect. They have, in the past, been synonymous with the SOE. Depending on your model the above info may not be accurate. I can tell you that on my display I'm not seeing the SOE and watching a LD feels normal.

In addition to that, which is huge, there are built-in noise reduction circuits for "Random Noise" and "Digital Noise". I've set "Digital Noise" to "High" and that has greatly improved titles that aren't as clean as some of the latter releases. Cleans them up really nice without artifacts. I don't notice any improvement with the built-in VNR on the CLD-D704 but I think that only applies to S-Video output anyway, which this TV does not have. If I toggle it on/off it doesn't seem to negatively affect a title that already looks decent so I leave it on for now (I'm watching the Connery Collection, Goldfinger and it looks great zoomed in).

Blacks are like midnight.
Colors and resolution are insane.
Motion is accurate.
SW zone plate is clear when still.
Zoom works great.

My only complaint is that there is overscan. I can't see the edge of the SW test plate in any direction. Feels punched in. Has nothing to do with the bezel (at least on the L/R sides). It isn't terrible but it ain't right either :(

Here is a cell phone photo of the screen so you can draw your own conclusions:

Attachment:
File comment: 2015 Sony 4k XBR55X810C Composite input Video Essentials SW
Sony XBR55X810c Composite Input.jpg
Sony XBR55X810c Composite Input.jpg [ 116.52 KiB | Viewed 4112 times ]

I hope that has been informative and maybe even helpful.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2019, 14:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i've been contemplating stepping up to a 50in. 4k lately,
but the models i'm looking at in my price range all lack Composite input/Analog video processing.

anyone know where i might find a good external COMPOSITE VIDEO/HDMI Converter/Upscaler unit?

would one of these be any good?

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 03:04 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Has anyone used the Open-Source Scan Converter (OSSC) for analog SD home video? It's beloved by the retrogaming community.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 03:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

thefringthing wrote:
Has anyone used the Open-Source Scan Converter (OSSC) for analog SD home video? It's beloved by the retrogaming community.

That doesn't have composite and s-video input afaik.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 04:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It doesn't really have video applications afaik. It's just a line doubler so it lacks all of the advanced controls that a Lumagen, DVDO etc will give you.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 10:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

"upgraded" to a Lumagen XD a few months ago.
Took me some time to learn about every possible setting in the menu but it is great unit.
got it fairly cheap so no complaints on the purchase price. Always was sceptic about paying the money the things go for.
I love having all those spare inputs. makes experimenting with several players very easy.
The de-interlacer and dynamic contrast settings are a bonus.
being able to make several settings per input is great for Japan or US black level settings without having to switch input mode.
I'm a fan.

It fell in my lap in a way. would never have paid the crazy prices they go online

Sold the dvdo since I had no more use for it.
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2020, 22:51 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I've got a Sharp Aquos 55" 4K smart TV from 2016, and whatever filtering it's doing to the signal from my LD-V2200 is actually quite good. It looks great!

I can see a huge difference versus plugging it into my computer, where I see a lot more noise that the Aquos effectively eliminates.

1 month later edit: I filmed this last night to show how it looks to a friend.

The phone camera does a bad job getting the right colors and exposure, but you can still see that the picture is very sharp and clear. In person, this isn't far off from DVD quality.

Last edited by mikechambers on 13 Apr 2020, 04:31, edited 3 times in total. _________________
My collection: Click!

I also write software.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2020, 08:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I use a Micomsoft Framemeister. Not cheap, but it works perfectly and serves as an upscaler and an HDMI output for capturing.

I used to have all sorts of stuff, DVO VP's, Edge and some.other stuff but the Framemeister does it all in one for me.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020, 22:11 
First post
First post

mikechambers wrote:
I've got a Sharp Aquos 55" 4K smart TV from 2016, and whatever filtering it's doing to the signal from my LD-V2200 is actually quite good. It looks great!

I can see a huge difference versus plugging it into my computer, where I see a lot more noise that the Aquos effectively eliminates.

1 month later edit: I filmed this last night to show how it looks to a friend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt7b-NP5DjI

The phone camera does a bad job getting the right colors and exposure, but you can still see that the picture is very sharp and clear. In person, this isn't far off from DVD quality.

This looks really good!
Lumagen 2144

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 13:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I tried this cheap solution from the LD player to the Plasma tv (composite to Svideo) but im getting only a BlackandWhite noisy picture in pal and ntsc both

Attachments:
IMG_20200812_093207.jpg
IMG_20200812_093207.jpg [ 247.28 KiB | Viewed 3531 times ]
IMG_20200812_093138.jpg
IMG_20200812_093138.jpg [ 264.77 KiB | Viewed 3531 times ]

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 13:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ertoili wrote:
I tried this cheap solution from the LD player to the Plasma tv (composite to Svideo) but im getting only a BlackandWhite noisy picture in pal and ntsc both

A totally cheap (and NASTY) composite to s-video "convertor'. For someone who waxes on about the superiority of LD over essentially every format to follow; should i be surprised? May I suggest you read up on comb filters and their role in converting composite to something viewable on a TV (yes even a CRT). Once you understand that then you'll understand why this connector is essentially a con job.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 15:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

:lol: :lol: :lol: ....think i was waiting for a "good" surprise.
Only 4 euros but yes.. dont do it

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 16:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ertoili wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: ....think i was waiting for a "good" surprise.
Only 4 euros but yes.. dont do it

Still no offence, but it was a waste of even 4 euros!!!

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 16:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s not a con job at all. It’s a perfectly functional part...for doing something else. (Internally it simply twists the two signal wires together.)

Some of you guys need to just buy good TVs in the first place and not spend so much timing obsessing over boxes. This idea that...all you need is some box...even if it’s the cheapest, least applicable use case imaginable. Some of these boxes are amazing...but not the cheap ones. So why spend $400 on a box for a $300 TV when you can just buy a Sony and not screw with anything?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 16:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

doesn't that work for the other way around??? Turning S-Video into composite.

Anyway, can't agree more, spend a little more and get something a little better or just buy cheap and when you get it home
and it not compatible with your 25+ year old tech then return and try the next cheapest one until you find something that works.

Maybe you just need to enjoy LD on smaller sets for what LD was made for and pickup a high end SD projector for your larger image to enjoy.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 19:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It is a female composite to S-video, advertised as a simple perfect mechanical adaptor to improve quality...but it is useless...the monitor has not even the chroma parameter active only contrast and brightness so is not receiving color, same results with the flat tv

Attachments:
IMG_20200812_195444.jpg
IMG_20200812_195444.jpg [ 396.77 KiB | Viewed 3503 times ]
IMG_20200812_195452.jpg
IMG_20200812_195452.jpg [ 383.81 KiB | Viewed 3503 times ]
IMG_20200812_200004.jpg
IMG_20200812_200004.jpg [ 380.72 KiB | Viewed 3503 times ]

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 19:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Last pic Lionel Richie "dancing on the ceiling" :thumbup:
Sorry but im not a big fan of projectors

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2020, 18:01 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'm using the video processing in my Marantz SR6011 AVR for comb/a-d/deinterlace/HDMI output at 480p to my Epson HC4000 which then does upscaling and aspect zoom. I would let the Marantz do the scaling as well, but it has no aspect ratio zoom and the projector will only do aspect ratio zoom for 480p input (not 720p/1080p/4K).

I previously had a BenQ TK800 projector that lacked aspect ratio zoom, so I was going from the AVRout at 480p to an XBox One (which would do aspect ratio zoom through the One Guide app) and then on to the projector... but this required swapping cables around since the AVR normally does all of my HDMI switching. I was contemplating picking up a stand-alone VP (VP30/50 or similar) but just put that budget to upgrading the projector instead... once I sell the BenQ and factor in the $200 I would have spent on a VP, it'll be a wash in terms of cost and I'll benefit on all my other sources (which I watch more anyway) and also finally be able to finally support a 2.35:1 screen (thanks to the Epson's power/memory lens).

Page 3 of 9 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next