It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:33

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2021, 14:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have been working on this for a while now, looking for help / suggestions with some things. This is **NOT** intended for captures, I am doing REAL TIME viewing.

Right now I am using an Elgato HD60 Pro capture card to take HDMI in from Eval board (7842 comb filter everyone knows is amazing) and upscale with MadVR to 2160p with results that (in my opinion) meet or exceed the Lumagen Pro with the overall point being the Lumagen Pro costs $4,000.00+ while the necessary HTPC can be built for +,- $1,000.00.

Chain is Sony HIL-C2EX -> Eval Board -> Denon DVP 602ci (deinterlacing as Elgato doesn't accept 480i) plus handles audio and delay -> Elgato -> Potplayer with MadVR 480p (640x480) to 2160p upscale.

Questions / issues -

1. Is there any way to take AC3 and DTS audio into the PC? The capture card will only take 2 channel so I have the Denon taking audio in and feeding the audio to AVR with a 199ms delay to compensate for MadVR processing time. It would be nice if I could join all LD audio in with the video in the PC and send a combined HDMI signal out of PC.

2. I need to test this all with a capture card that accepts 480i and see how it works with just straight LD to capture card. What is the best PCIe capture card that will work with Windows 10 and DirectShow? There is another thread in this section that suggests AverMedia CE310B, are there any other / better options to look at?

The MadVR Envy video processor is more or less a PC with custom firmware for an off the shelf capture card, I am simply mirroring that functionality with the freely available MadVR software and my own PC.

Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2021, 15:22 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Blackmagic intensity pro will take 480i and also is uncompressed, unlike other capture cards which converts the stream to h.264. Blackmagic is picky with its hdmi tho. It may or may not work with the evalboard.

Hauppage capture cards back in the day allowed dts? Or was it dolby? Look into this.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2021, 15:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
Blackmagic intensity pro will take 480i and also is uncompressed, unlike other capture cards which converts the stream to h.264. Blackmagic is picky with its hdmi tho. It may or may not work with the evalboard.

Hauppage capture cards back in the day allowed dts? Or was it dolby? Look into this.

The Elgato has the option to watch the preview (uncompressed) or record (h.264) also so I use the preview stream.

Right now I have 480p 59.94 coming in which is incredibly GPU intensive (lots of frames plus added scaling to get non-anamorphic widescreen LD's to fill the screen). On the other hand DVD rips which get IVTC'ed to 23.98 are not near as GPU intensive (less frames plus they are anamorphic). My hope is that if I can get 480i stream direct from Eval board I can get MadVR to IVTC and lessen the GPU load. I don't know if this is possible as LD real time IVTC has always been a challenge.... The high frames burn GPU's, trying to play a rip of Gemini Man 2160p60 is laughable even for the best current gen GPU's.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2021, 04:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have a blackmagic intensity shuttle with thunderbolt 2 and another one with pcie. I would be willing to lend you if you want to try those. They won’t do dolby or dts for sure. They do 480i 8/10 bit uncompressed.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 10:25 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Just my two cents but I am currently awaiting for the ossc pro to be made.

I am hoping that I will be able to send composite audio and video in, with toslink from rfd-1 for ac-3 and digital sound.

Then you could use the hdmi out that already has the respective audio option with the video.

Not sure if only 1080p or 4k output.

Maybe this might work?

Or at least you could use it with madvr or intensity shuttle?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 06:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't discovered MadVR yet.

I briefly played with this, and I've never seen LD look this good during live playback. Now to tackle the problem of my HTPC being a mini-ITX machine with a single PCIe slot already being used by the capture device. The onboard Intel GPU is... clearly not up to the task.

But to think I wasted all this time screwing around with the useless video settings on my AVR. I wish I found this ages ago.

I need to see if it's possible to somehow incorporate the Neat Video 5 filter into the chain before the image is passed to the MadVR renderer. It does an incredible job of eliminating chroma noise without losing detail, and transforms an LD picture into practically DVD quality, if only a touch softer.

I also write software.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 18:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

mikechambers wrote:

I briefly played with this, and I've never seen LD look this good during live playback. Now to tackle the problem of my HTPC being a mini-ITX machine with a single PCIe slot already being used by the capture device. The onboard Intel GPU is... clearly not up to the task.

But to think I wasted all this time screwing around with the useless video settings on my AVR. I wish I found this ages ago.

I need to see if it's possible to somehow incorporate the Neat Video 5 filter into the chain before the image is passed to the MadVR renderer. It does an incredible job of eliminating chroma noise without losing detail, and transforms an LD picture into practically DVD quality, if only a touch softer.

Not sure about the filter but MadVR has NR options that work pretty well also.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 19:49 
Honest fan
Honest fan

pbiancardi wrote:
mikechambers wrote:

Not sure about the filter but MadVR has NR options that work pretty well also.

MadVR's NR does a decent job for sure, but the detail loss is noticeable vs Neat Video. Not a huge deal, but it's something to look into.

I also write software.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 02:32 
First post
First post

What’s a eval board? I figured out everything else.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2021, 22:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

EVAL-ADV7842-7511P for improving Laserdisc image

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2021, 00:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

After lots of testing this all works best with an external hardware deinterlacer so ideally Crystalio II or Lumagen outputting 480p and letting MadVR handle the 480p to 1080p / 2160p upscaling. If you have eval board that can be tossed in front of processor (maybe even an eval / DVDO combo but I haven't tried that).

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2021, 09:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

This or something similar may help?

Juicy CYP embedder that might just fix DVDO VP50 Pro bugs...

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2021, 15:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

To close this one out, this finally works perfectly with the Kramer VP-773 feeding my capture card 480p. I never could get the Eval / processor combo to work reliably (too many HDCP issues with my setup). The Kramer makes this entire setup now an amazing alternative to a Lumagen 2144 or Eval / Lumagen combo.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 04:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

pbiancardi wrote:
To close this one out, this finally works perfectly with the Kramer VP-773 feeding my capture card 480p. I never could get the Eval / processor combo to work reliably (too many HDCP issues with my setup). The Kramer makes this entire setup now an amazing alternative to a Lumagen 2144 or Eval / Lumagen combo.

How is the MadVR de-interlacing?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 11:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:

How is the MadVR de-interlacing?

The Elgato card doesn't support 480i which is I suspect why 480i doesn't really work. If its a DVD or HDDVD rip MadVR does perfectly.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 23:02 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

pbiancardi wrote:

So you send composite to Kramer VP-773 and 480P out to the MadVR?
What would the cost be for the MadVR set-up?

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2022, 21:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

MadVR Envy is like $8k to 10K if not more. It is a custom build PC with some custom firmware and tweaks. If you know how to build a PC, you can build your own for far less. The most expensive component will be the graphics card. I believe the most expensive Envy model comes with Nvidia RTX 2080 TI. Today you can beat that with an Nvidia RTX 3070 for around $800. (Nvidia 4xxx series is in the horizon). The trickiest part is what Peter is trying to sort out which is the input/output board (aka capture card).

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2022, 13:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

New option if anyone is interested.

The MadVR Envy has very advanced AI based motion adaptive deinterlacing which HTPC does not have.

This makes 480i from Kramer 773 to MadVR Envy basically the best at this point. You get the near perfect deinterlacing (better than Lumagen / DVDO / Faroudja) as well as the proven best NGU (AI based) upscaling. I didn't even buy the Envy for Laserdisc but quite ironically I found improvements where I was not even looking.

The other amazing thing with the Envy is the AI based noise reduction that can work wonders for LD. Here is a quick video just showing me going through the steps of NR intensity - https://www.dropbox.com/s/x325dvd2yujad ... 9.mp4?dl=0

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]