It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:02

Page 4 of 5 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SingMai FPGA external 3D comb filter
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 17:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Do you have a display with SDI input?

I currently have no device with SDI input.

Thinking that we'd all need some kind of SDI-HDMI convertor at some point to be able to implement this.

If you are set up for capture I'd think most devices can capture from a non-hdcp hdmi source (though honestly with no capture experience just winging it there). Perhaps just disclosure about what was used to convert to HDMI? The recommended Blackmagic might be ideal as it could be the most common option of any adopters, however just a good representation with disclosure regarding the SDI-HDMI conversion should be very adequate and obviously far better than nothing.

The truth is nothing does anything perfectly.

I am getting the feeling that the whole Kramer "test" this person did was an advertisement for this device all along. The eval / 2144 / Kramer are all near perfect and somehow this thing has bested all of them? Color me skeptical.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 17:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
I currently have no device with SDI input.

Oops, you reminded that I have a CII

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 18:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

pbiancardi wrote:

I am getting the feeling that the whole Kramer "test" this person did was an advertisement for this device all along. The eval / 2144 / Kramer are all near perfect and somehow this thing has bested all of them? Color me skeptical.

Are you kidding me?

I'm interested in a good 3D Y/C solution.

read on this board about the Eval board.

by the time I read it, there was no chance for me to get one.

Someone else posted about the Kramer unit, bought one two weeks ago

looked at 3 different units , gave my findings, that's it.

why would I buy a Kramer unit if I would advertise for something that I bought

before?

why jump to conclusions that make no sense?

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 18:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

nidi wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:

Are you kidding me?

I'm interested in a good 3D Y/C solution.

read on this board about the Eval board.

by the time I read it, there was no chance for me to get one.

Someone else posted about the Kramer unit, bought one two weeks ago

looked at 3 different units , gave my findings, that's it.

why would I buy a Kramer unit if I would advertise for something that I bought

before?

why jump to conclusions that make no sense?

As someone who has seen 2144, Eval, Kramer, and X0 comb filters all I am saying is I am skeptical.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 19:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

pbiancardi wrote:

As someone who has seen 2144, Eval, Kramer, and X0 comb filters all I am saying is I am skeptical.

well, you have basically seen 2 kind of filters, as 3 of the above mentioned ones are the same chipset.

skeptical? come on...

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 22:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

nidi wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:

well, you have basically seen 2 kind of filters, as 3 of the above mentioned ones are the same chipset.

skeptical? come on...

Ok I'll be more specific, the fact that you think the X0 comb filter is better than the 7842 in the Kramer makes me extremely skeptical of your opinion.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2021, 12:22 
Honest fan
Honest fan

carrboroman wrote:
thanks guys, the "usual suspects" as expected, great to see you are interested... looks like the lddb.com FPGA team is born!

I'm gonna check with Daniel if he has a player for testing... any advice on the model? I guess the point is not having the best composite to begin with to see how much it can improve the output?

What kind of tests/patterns/movies should we consider the bar? i.e., my concern is about frame rate and possible LD-specific quirks, like resolution or cadence etc..

What I gathered so far, is that the SM03 accepts NTSC/PAL or SECAM inputs, which it decodes using a 3D comb filter, it provides video noise reduction, resynchronizes the video to a stable output and provides contrast enhancement (histogram equalization). The output is SDI without upscaling or deinterlacing, but it's based on previous broadcasters projects for BBC and RAI, so the strong point are decoding and noise reduction.

Am I too late to join? I know Verilog is superseded by SystemVerilog but VHDL stays quite the same. The analog part is always fascinating!

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2021, 02:53 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

nidi wrote:
from the early DVD days, I used SDI as an output, was/is so much better than what component was/is capable of.

started with the Crystalio 1 , went up to the Chtystaio II then the Radiance XS+

bought a Blackmagic Terranex SDI to HDMI converter, which I haven't used yet.

was hoping to use an external capture device , like the Blackmagic Design Video Assist 3G.

am hoping to find someone who could tell if it's worth it.

You would need BlackMagic UltraStudio SDI to USB 3.0 capture device to capture lossless AVI 4:2:2 720x480 (720x576 PAL/SECAM), Similar PCI card is available for desktops.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224660912503?h ... SwMQdhde-T
or:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324839509020?h ... SwEFlhbu5m

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 18:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

dellsam34 wrote:
nidi wrote:
from the early DVD days, I used SDI as an output, was/is so much better than what component was/is capable of.

started with the Crystalio 1 , went up to the Chtystaio II then the Radiance XS+

was hoping to use an external capture device , like the Blackmagic Design Video Assist 3G.

You would need BlackMagic UltraStudio SDI to USB 3.0 capture device to capture lossless AVI 4:2:2 720x480 (720x576 PAL/SECAM), Similar PCI card is available for desktops.

Thanks Dellsam34,

I'm looking for a non PC solution. Direct hardware recording.

there seem to be such solutions in the movie industry

SDI to ProRes SD

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2022, 20:05 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

So is this device on the market yet or still in the testing phase?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2022, 05:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan

elahrairrah wrote:
So is this device on the market yet or still in the testing phase?

still testing phase.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2022, 07:01 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello everyone,

Sorry to not contributing to this thread for a while. Here is an update.

We are now shipping the SM03 as we have frozen the feature list after much feedback from some early customers. Here is a summary of the product:

Three basic functions: 3D comb filter decoder, 3D noise reduction and full frame synchoniser.
NTSC/PAL input (CVBS or Y/C), SDI output. (Y/C input uses dual ADCs.)
Stereo audio with programmable delay (compensate lip-sync) embedded into SDI output.
Can lock to almost all VHS tape sources.
Chroma edge enhancement.
Full proc-amp features (gain, offset etc.) including NTSC chroma vector rotation (hue correction).

Despite efforts, we cannot reduce the price, especially with the worldwide component shortages, but we can offer a 'bundled' package with the Magewell image capture cards if you are archiving (and the pound is tanking so if you are outside the UK that will help lower the price to you).
We despatch using DHL with full tracking information.
We also include a programmer with every SM03 so any future features/bug fixes can be updated.
The SM03 includes Y/C to BNC cables, universal power supply and phono to BNC adaptor.

https://www.singmai.com/Modules/sm03.html

We welcome continued feedback and are still open to any missing features you would like to see, but we will limit any updates to once very six months or so.

Daniel.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2022, 16:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

singmai wrote:
Hello everyone,

We are now shipping the SM03 as we have frozen the feature list after much feedback from some early customers. Here is a summary of the product:

Three basic functions: 3D comb filter decoder, 3D noise reduction and full frame synchoniser.
Stereo audio with programmable delay (compensate lip-sync) embedded into SDI output.
Chroma edge enhancement.
Full proc-amp features (gain, offset etc.) including NTSC chroma vector rotation (hue correction).

Despite efforts, we cannot reduce the price, especially with the worldwide component shortages, but we can offer a 'bundled' package with the Magewell image capture cards if you are archiving (and the pound is tanking so if you are outside the UK that will help lower the price to you).
We also include a programmer with every SM03 so any future features/bug fixes can be updated.
The SM03 includes Y/C to BNC cables, universal power supply and phono to BNC adaptor.

We welcome continued feedback and are still open to any missing features you would like to see, but we will limit any updates to once very six months or so.

Daniel.

Can you explain why is this cutting off the top of the picture? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9jx6D86J-s

The Lumagen 2144, Kramer 773, and ADV7842 Eval Board all do something similar and I am trying to understand why?

Forgive the cell phone garbage pic but you can see what I mean - yours is cutting off the picture at the top?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2022, 02:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

If it's happening with other devices, do you have any it doesn't happen with? Also, are you sure the display isn't cutting off the overscan area? I've had a TV that always does that with 480p input.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2022, 11:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rcarlson wrote:
If it's happening with other devices, do you have any it doesn't happen with? Also, are you sure the display isn't cutting off the overscan area? I've had a TV that always does that with 480p input.

I have done some close inspection with a Kramer 773 (ADV7842) and a Onkyo TX-NR809 (ADV7844) and it is really difficult to tell if the image is being shifted in the frame or if the top section is being cut off. I can say also that Lumagen 2144 (ADV7800) does this as well.

Here is comparison of Kramer and Onkyo - https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/28154

Here is Kramer vs SingMai - https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/28166

Looks to me like SingMai is 100% cutting off the picture (I have no idea if they have something in line cutting this off or not).

I had always assumed this was a comb filter issue since all of the ADV7800 / 7842 devices do it but I cannot be sure.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2022, 02:07 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

singmai wrote:
Hello everyone,

Chroma edge enhancement.

Daniel.

Would this work good for improving the vhs, betamax and video 2000 image if one want to watch it on a SD PAL tv? And any suggestion for a great SDI to RGB (preferably scart) equipment?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2023, 08:22 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello,

I have introduced a cut down (and less expensive) version of the SM03. It is called the SM15 and costs £295.
It still has the 3D comb filter, Y/C inputs, and synchroniser, but the noise reduction, procamp, chroma enhancement and VCR mode have been removed (it does still lock to laserdisc including pause/feature modes). Details are available here: https://www.singmai.com/Modules/sm15.html

Comments are welcome, as always.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2023, 13:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

singmai wrote:
Hello,

I have introduced a cut down (and less expensive) version of the SM03. It is called the SM15 and costs £295.
It still has the 3D comb filter, Y/C inputs, and synchroniser, but the noise reduction, procamp, chroma enhancement and VCR mode have been removed (it does still lock to laserdisc including pause/feature modes). Details are available here: https://www.singmai.com/Modules/sm15.html

Comments are welcome, as always.

Can you explain why your device is cutting off the top of the picture (see my posts above)?

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2023, 18:36 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

nidi wrote:
dellsam34 wrote:
nidi wrote:

Thanks Dellsam34,

I'm looking for a non PC solution. Direct hardware recording.

there seem to be such solutions in the movie industry

SDI to ProRes SD

I have the Blackmagic Video Assist.

Although I got it for capturing UHD from my digital camera, it works well capturing SD video from laserdisc. My signal path has been CLD-79 composite-> JVC-HRS-7800U S-video out-> BMD Analog to SDI converter-> BMD Video Assist. Works quite well, though as nice as the JVC’s comb results can be, there’s an occasional chroma delay that probably means they were getting some of that quality by playing some tricks.

The SM-15 would nicely replace both the S-VHS deck and the Analog to SDI converter … if I could get one. Just got a refund; apparently they’re not available for now.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2023, 22:26 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

If anyone is wondering what's going on with the SM03 (I could have sworn I saw a thread somewhere that they had decided to discontinue working on this unit due to the global parts shortage), I sent an email to SingMai the other day and got this response:

"Hello Mike,

We are working on the new SM03 at this moment. Expect to see some announcement next month.

Kind regards,

Daniel."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, if anyone's been waiting with bated breath to pick up one of these, a new revision of the SM03 may be available by the end of the year. Hopefully they'll have some good news next month!

Page 4 of 5 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next