It is currently 06 Jul 2022, 15:25




 Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2021, 14:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 16:35
Posts: 541
Location: United States
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 65 times
I have been working on this for a while now, looking for help / suggestions with some things. This is **NOT** intended for captures, I am doing REAL TIME viewing.

Right now I am using an Elgato HD60 Pro capture card to take HDMI in from Eval board (7842 comb filter everyone knows is amazing) and upscale with MadVR to 2160p with results that (in my opinion) meet or exceed the Lumagen Pro with the overall point being the Lumagen Pro costs $4,000.00+ while the necessary HTPC can be built for +,- $1,000.00.

Chain is Sony HIL-C2EX -> Eval Board -> Denon DVP 602ci (deinterlacing as Elgato doesn't accept 480i) plus handles audio and delay -> Elgato -> Potplayer with MadVR 480p (640x480) to 2160p upscale.

Questions / issues -

1. Is there any way to take AC3 and DTS audio into the PC? The capture card will only take 2 channel so I have the Denon taking audio in and feeding the audio to AVR with a 199ms delay to compensate for MadVR processing time. It would be nice if I could join all LD audio in with the video in the PC and send a combined HDMI signal out of PC.

2. I need to test this all with a capture card that accepts 480i and see how it works with just straight LD to capture card. What is the best PCIe capture card that will work with Windows 10 and DirectShow? There is another thread in this section that suggests AverMedia CE310B, are there any other / better options to look at?

The MadVR Envy video processor is more or less a PC with custom firmware for an off the shelf capture card, I am simply mirroring that functionality with the freely available MadVR software and my own PC.
_________________
Sony HIL-C2EX w/ AC3
Sony HIL-C1 w/ AC3
Sony MDP-999
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2021, 15:22 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3404
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 235 times
Blackmagic intensity pro will take 480i and also is uncompressed, unlike other capture cards which converts the stream to h.264. Blackmagic is picky with its hdmi tho. It may or may not work with the evalboard.

Hauppage capture cards back in the day allowed dts? Or was it dolby? Look into this.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2021, 15:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 16:35
Posts: 541
Location: United States
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 65 times
substance wrote:
Blackmagic intensity pro will take 480i and also is uncompressed, unlike other capture cards which converts the stream to h.264. Blackmagic is picky with its hdmi tho. It may or may not work with the evalboard.

Hauppage capture cards back in the day allowed dts? Or was it dolby? Look into this.


The Elgato has the option to watch the preview (uncompressed) or record (h.264) also so I use the preview stream.

Right now I have 480p 59.94 coming in which is incredibly GPU intensive (lots of frames plus added scaling to get non-anamorphic widescreen LD's to fill the screen). On the other hand DVD rips which get IVTC'ed to 23.98 are not near as GPU intensive (less frames plus they are anamorphic). My hope is that if I can get 480i stream direct from Eval board I can get MadVR to IVTC and lessen the GPU load. I don't know if this is possible as LD real time IVTC has always been a challenge.... The high frames burn GPU's, trying to play a rip of Gemini Man 2160p60 is laughable even for the best current gen GPU's.
_________________
Sony HIL-C2EX w/ AC3
Sony HIL-C1 w/ AC3
Sony MDP-999
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2021, 04:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3404
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 235 times
I have a blackmagic intensity shuttle with thunderbolt 2 and another one with pcie. I would be willing to lend you if you want to try those. They won’t do dolby or dts for sure. They do 480i 8/10 bit uncompressed.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 10:25 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 25 Apr 2015, 08:15
Posts: 12
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Just my two cents but I am currently awaiting for the ossc pro to be made.

I am hoping that I will be able to send composite audio and video in, with toslink from rfd-1 for ac-3 and digital sound.

Then you could use the hdmi out that already has the respective audio option with the video.

Not sure if only 1080p or 4k output.

Maybe this might work?

Or at least you could use it with madvr or intensity shuttle?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 06:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2020, 05:51
Posts: 87
Location: United States
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 23 times
Thanks for posting this, I hadn't discovered MadVR yet.

I briefly played with this, and I've never seen LD look this good during live playback. Now to tackle the problem of my HTPC being a mini-ITX machine with a single PCIe slot already being used by the capture device. The onboard Intel GPU is... clearly not up to the task.

But to think I wasted all this time screwing around with the useless video settings on my AVR. I wish I found this ages ago.

I need to see if it's possible to somehow incorporate the Neat Video 5 filter into the chain before the image is passed to the MadVR renderer. It does an incredible job of eliminating chroma noise without losing detail, and transforms an LD picture into practically DVD quality, if only a touch softer.
_________________
My collection: Click!

I also write software.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 18:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 16:35
Posts: 541
Location: United States
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 65 times
mikechambers wrote:
Thanks for posting this, I hadn't discovered MadVR yet.

I briefly played with this, and I've never seen LD look this good during live playback. Now to tackle the problem of my HTPC being a mini-ITX machine with a single PCIe slot already being used by the capture device. The onboard Intel GPU is... clearly not up to the task.

But to think I wasted all this time screwing around with the useless video settings on my AVR. I wish I found this ages ago.

I need to see if it's possible to somehow incorporate the Neat Video 5 filter into the chain before the image is passed to the MadVR renderer. It does an incredible job of eliminating chroma noise without losing detail, and transforms an LD picture into practically DVD quality, if only a touch softer.


Not sure about the filter but MadVR has NR options that work pretty well also.
_________________
Sony HIL-C2EX w/ AC3
Sony HIL-C1 w/ AC3
Sony MDP-999
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 19:49 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2020, 05:51
Posts: 87
Location: United States
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 23 times
pbiancardi wrote:
mikechambers wrote:
Thanks for posting this, I hadn't discovered MadVR yet.

I briefly played with this, and I've never seen LD look this good during live playback. Now to tackle the problem of my HTPC being a mini-ITX machine with a single PCIe slot already being used by the capture device. The onboard Intel GPU is... clearly not up to the task.

But to think I wasted all this time screwing around with the useless video settings on my AVR. I wish I found this ages ago.

I need to see if it's possible to somehow incorporate the Neat Video 5 filter into the chain before the image is passed to the MadVR renderer. It does an incredible job of eliminating chroma noise without losing detail, and transforms an LD picture into practically DVD quality, if only a touch softer.


Not sure about the filter but MadVR has NR options that work pretty well also.


MadVR's NR does a decent job for sure, but the detail loss is noticeable vs Neat Video. Not a huge deal, but it's something to look into.
_________________
My collection: Click!

I also write software.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 02:32 
First post
First post
User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2010, 22:29
Posts: 1
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
What’s a eval board? I figured out everything else.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2021, 22:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2018, 03:18
Posts: 1426
Has thanked: 413 times
Been thanked: 526 times
EVAL-ADV7842-7511P for improving Laserdisc image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2021, 00:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 16:35
Posts: 541
Location: United States
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 65 times
After lots of testing this all works best with an external hardware deinterlacer so ideally Crystalio II or Lumagen outputting 480p and letting MadVR handle the 480p to 1080p / 2160p upscaling. If you have eval board that can be tossed in front of processor (maybe even an eval / DVDO combo but I haven't tried that).
_________________
Sony HIL-C2EX w/ AC3
Sony HIL-C1 w/ AC3
Sony MDP-999
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2021, 09:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2018, 14:21
Posts: 1438
Location: New Delaware
Has thanked: 402 times
Been thanked: 448 times
This or something similar may help?

Juicy CYP embedder that might just fix DVDO VP50 Pro bugs...
_________________
Blog: The Coterie / L'boxd: Diary
Pioneer CLD-R7G, CLD-D925 | Yamaha APD-2 | DVDO Edge, VP50 Pro
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2021, 15:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 16:35
Posts: 541
Location: United States
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 65 times
To close this one out, this finally works perfectly with the Kramer VP-773 feeding my capture card 480p. I never could get the Eval / processor combo to work reliably (too many HDCP issues with my setup). The Kramer makes this entire setup now an amazing alternative to a Lumagen 2144 or Eval / Lumagen combo.
_________________
Sony HIL-C2EX w/ AC3
Sony HIL-C1 w/ AC3
Sony MDP-999
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 04:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3404
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 235 times
pbiancardi wrote:
To close this one out, this finally works perfectly with the Kramer VP-773 feeding my capture card 480p. I never could get the Eval / processor combo to work reliably (too many HDCP issues with my setup). The Kramer makes this entire setup now an amazing alternative to a Lumagen 2144 or Eval / Lumagen combo.


How is the MadVR de-interlacing?
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 11:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 16:35
Posts: 541
Location: United States
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 65 times
substance wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:
To close this one out, this finally works perfectly with the Kramer VP-773 feeding my capture card 480p. I never could get the Eval / processor combo to work reliably (too many HDCP issues with my setup). The Kramer makes this entire setup now an amazing alternative to a Lumagen 2144 or Eval / Lumagen combo.


How is the MadVR de-interlacing?


The Elgato card doesn't support 480i which is I suspect why 480i doesn't really work. If its a DVD or HDDVD rip MadVR does perfectly.
_________________
Sony HIL-C2EX w/ AC3
Sony HIL-C1 w/ AC3
Sony MDP-999
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 23:02 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2003, 14:40
Posts: 9
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
pbiancardi wrote:
To close this one out, this finally works perfectly with the Kramer VP-773 feeding my capture card 480p. I never could get the Eval / processor combo to work reliably (too many HDCP issues with my setup). The Kramer makes this entire setup now an amazing alternative to a Lumagen 2144 or Eval / Lumagen combo.


So you send composite to Kramer VP-773 and 480P out to the MadVR?
What would the cost be for the MadVR set-up?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MadVR Laserdisc Upscaling Project
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2022, 21:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3404
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 235 times
MadVR Envy is like $8k to 10K if not more. It is a custom build PC with some custom firmware and tweaks. If you know how to build a PC, you can build your own for far less. The most expensive component will be the graphics card. I believe the most expensive Envy model comes with Nvidia RTX 2080 TI. Today you can beat that with an Nvidia RTX 3070 for around $800. (Nvidia 4xxx series is in the horizon). The trickiest part is what Peter is trying to sort out which is the input/output board (aka capture card).
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: