It is currently 17 Jul 2024, 18:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Repairing a Sony SLV-R7 without anyones help
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2024, 13:11 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have to thank the "experts" on Tapeheads forum for nothing over weeks of asking for advice - it was all wrong and I ended up figuring out the issue on my own.

My original R7's head looked like this:

It outputted no video and obviously the board is modded and I found other pics online confirming it:

But the tapehead "experts" just told me mine was probably an "international market version" and "companies use different parts all the time". I'm like nah, it's a horrible owner mod, the screw holes don't even match and R7 was Japan only. Idiots.

So I get in a second R7 and it has an unmolested head but it outputs herringbone static on the image. I ask if/how I should swap the heads . They just tell me to buy an oscilloscope of them to do more testing and ship it from the US. I'm like "WTF?"

Here's the original issue, herringbone static from top left diagonal lines (not the banding, which just shows up on my camera, not actually on screen) :

I decided I didn't want to touch a working video head so instead looked at the two power supplies. The one in the R7 that outputs video had a non original cap that said 85deg c on it. On some random video I remember a dude saying 85 c is too low for these machines. So, I went for it and swapped the PSUs.

Bingo! Not only did the herringboning dissappear, the front display lit up brighter and the PQ increased generally to be the best in my stack. So happy, it generally outputs even better sound and video than my SLV-R5 now (which makes sense because the R7 was a higher end unit). It's going to be my primary for music tapes and the R5 will be on movie duty.

Problem solved and I'm going to put the bad PS back in the one with all the weird mods to the head (that doesn't output video if you've been reading) and I want to put like microfibre on one of the posts and the unit will become a tape cleaner.

SVHS looks great too:

Anyway, everyone offering "advice" at Tapeheads was way off imo and seemed to come across with a kind of superiority complex too. I think some were just trying to get me to buy their scopes. Trust your instincts and believe in yourself is my advice to fellow video nerds. The time when good advice was offered on forums for a lot of stuff is long gone. The people that actually knew anything are dead or don't care about helping you anymore. Everythings so splintered, people don't stay on one forum for long anymore, that's why I'm here. More like the old way.

Post subject: Re: Repairing a Sony SLV-R7 without anyones help
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2024, 16:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You have to be very careful or cautious when dealing with these internet repair guys, they think they know it all.
That's why I try to always post to do all repairs at your own risk, it may have worked for me but not for you. I'm not a tech expert.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]