It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 07:07

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for capture card with 3D comb filter
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2022, 20:12 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hi. I own a Pioneer CLD D704, one of the best LD non-elite players available, and I'd like to digitize some Laserdiscs. I want to get a bitperfect sound card and a capture card with a 3D comb filter.

Right now I have a i-o data gv usb2 (which I originally bought for other purposes) and it has a 4 line comb filter, what I'm looking for instead is one with a 3D comb filter because the rainbow effects show up a lot in my captures.

I heard the Hauppauge WinTv HVR 5525 has a 3D comb filter, but it's also pretty expensive as it's a TV Tuner too. Does anyone know other devices that have a 3D comb filter? I'd like one that works on 64bit Windows.

Post subject: Re: Looking for capture card with 3D comb filter
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2022, 20:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

What are you trying to capture?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2022, 21:26 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I'm trying to digitize my Laserdisc collection. They're all NTSC.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2022, 21:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Every title in your collection? Why?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2022, 23:56 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

For preservation purposes. Anyway, are you able to answer the question?

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2022, 21:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think there is a topic that you might be able to find for searching.
But in all honesty you are probably best off getting a hard drive to save all the films on once you rip and have on your computer.

Also while its not really fun you are probably better off in the long run picking up cheap copies of the same films on DVD or better and
just sell off the LDs when you get the replacement.

That's what I've been doing over the past few years, knocked down about 100 LDs so my collection is a tighter 200-250 rather than 350.
Would get rid of more but a large part of my collection are silent films and they are just not worth it on the secondary market either LD or DVD or even Bluray
so I would be buying a copy on DVD or Bluray and then would own 2 copies of the same film.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2022, 22:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I dabbled for a short time w/ the idea of "preservation through copying" by making DVD copies of my LDs' but I found it too time consuming and the picture quality always fell short even when using a high DVD data rate (not to mention I was trying to make custom menus and adding chapter marks to mimic the LD so that was time consuming too).

In the end, I figured that true preservation was about keeping the LDs' and ensuring it would always be playable so I switched to acquiring multiple players instead. It may take up more room from the perspective of hardware and software, but it definitely is what preserving is all about. Not to mention, there really is no way to copy an AC3 track (with many of those great theatrical mixes) so it makes more sense for me to maintain an LD playback system.

Anyway, I guess the topic was about capture cards w/ 3D comb filters and I have no idea who makes a good one in this day and age. However, I will say using a CLD-D704 with its digitally processed video and then having a capture card reprocess it again may not provide the desired results to preserve the image. You would be better off using a previous generation player w/ a more analog picture like a CLD-D702 (or better yet a CLD-97) to send to a capture card.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2022, 22:53 
Serious fan
Serious fan

You also have to consider what exactly it is you're preserving: the history of laserdisc or the history of movies? When it comes to movies, in the vast majority of cases current formats far better preserve the original film image than laserdiscs do, and in those cases where the laserdisc is the best commercially available version of a film (or specific cut of a film), the gold standard for preservation is to skip the composite output and go straight to the signal with the Domesday Duplicator (which is an expensive and difficult proposition, as I understand it, but IMO that's the difference between "preservation" and "having a personal digital backup of something").

Anyway, to your original question, easier than finding a capture card with a 3D comb filter might be finding any other device with a 3D comb filter and a digital output, and capturing that digital output with a standard capture device.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2022, 16:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rcarlson wrote:

Anyway, to your original question, easier than finding a capture card with a 3D comb filter might be finding any other device with a 3D comb filter and a digital output, and capturing that digital output with a standard capture device.

have you taken a look at this device?

SingMai FPGA external 3D comb filter

has a 3D comb filter and outputs SDI for capture.

https://www.singmai.com/Modules/sm03.html

https://www.singmai.com/Documents/SM03%20brochure.pdf

https://www.singmai.com/Documents/SM03% ... %200.1.pdf

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2022, 19:02 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

What really bothers me about my CLD D704 captures is the rainbow effects really, the dot crawl is fine. The rainbow effects show up very stongly also where's motion, so I'm not sure if a 3D filter could do much in that case.

Am I missing some kind of setting in the player? I tried messing with the DNR setting, if I set it higher than 2 it shows artifacts on motion scenes. With the setting at 2 there's still a good amount of grain.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2022, 17:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

There are many opinions on what you're trying to accomplish and why. I personally don't care what you do.

So to answer your question without any of my own bias to the conversation I would suggest getting a:

1 - DVD or Blu-Ray Recorder with a 3D Comb Filter
2 - Video Processor like a Lumagen, Crystalio, Faroudja, etc...with DVI or HDMI output
3 - HDMI capture device like a Black Magic or AJA.

With a disc recorder you can simply make a back up in 1 step (more depending on quality) or you can rip that disc and do whatever other processing you prefer. You could also use it as a pass through video processor to watch in real time.

With a processor you can convert the NTSC signal to HD specs and thus capture using any HDMI capture device. The processor is your comb filter...also works in real time to make your movies fun to watch on TV.

The HDMI capture device is pretty self explanatory. If your disc recorder has HDMI output you could use that as a pass through comb filter or you could use a video processor.

Honestly, the DdD is the way to go but is a rabbit hole you don't want to go down unless you have $500 and/or can solder components inside of a player.

HTH

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2022, 19:58 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I'm using this capture card and having good results.

Might get checkerboard artifacts though, as later in the thread another user says he got those with this card.

I don't get those with the LD player I use though.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]