It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:31

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pioneer CLD-R7G with scaler - To buy or not to buy?
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 16:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have a friend who has a Kramer scaler for sale.
This scaler only has Composite analogue inputs and the rest are HDMI in and outputs.
This scaler has the 3D combfilter and time base correction TBC improving picture quality.

On my current setup from CLD-R7G to scaler to TV I use the S-video.
I have high-end cables and receive a very good and clean picture.
However which one of the two comb filters is (enabled) primary cleaning TV picture from artefacts, the CLD-R7G filter or scaler filter?

The other question is:
If I get the Kramer unit from my friend I can only connect Composite from my CLD-R7G to Kramer.
I assume the comb filter on my R7G will be disabled and Kramer comb filter will be the primary one?
Is it worth using composite over S-video for an improved picture quality?
Any info about this?

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-R7G with scaler - To buy or not to buy?
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 18:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

noogie-man wrote:
I have a friend who has a Kramer scaler for sale.
This scaler only has Composite analogue inputs and the rest are HDMI in and outputs.
This scaler has the 3D combfilter and time base correction TBC improving picture quality.

On my current setup from CLD-R7G to scaler to TV I use the S-video.
I have high-end cables and receive a very good and clean picture.
However which one of the two comb filters is (enabled) primary cleaning TV picture from artefacts, the CLD-R7G filter or scaler filter?

The other question is:
If I get the Kramer unit from my friend I can only connect Composite from my CLD-R7G to Kramer.
I assume the comb filter on my R7G will be disabled and Kramer comb filter will be the primary one?
Is it worth using composite over S-video for an improved picture quality?
Any info about this?

First question, If your using the R7G s-video output it is the onboard comb filter of the LD player that is enabled not that of the TV. Second question, and I’m sure most 7G owners on here will confirm is that the 7Gs output via composite is pretty lack-lustre whichever video processor or TV you run it to so with this player unlike most others stick with S-video :thumbup:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 19:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Laserfan is right.
Garbage in=Garbage out.

Start with the best signal from the source which on the R7G is by and far S-Video
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 19:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

@ jakeheke and laserfanhld-gb

Thanks both of you.

So I should stick with what I already have and not buy the newer Kramer scaler?

The R7G is primarily made for use with S-video and 2nd for Composite as a just in case connection?

My scaler is a Lumagen XS-3D
As I use high grade video cables I get a very nice clean solid picture.
Weakest link in the chain are video cables, true 75 ohm shielded cables with quality components will make a difference on video playback!

Would it be a downgrade for me to buy a newer scaler from Kramer with the 3D filter and TBC but only has composite video input for my CLD-R7G?
Don't want to waste my money for nothing!

Last edited by noogie-man on 19 Nov 2022, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 19:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Without using S-Video from R7G are not able to manipulate the built-in in fancy 3D comb filter the machine boasts.
I doubt you would see a advantage with a R7G but you sure would with many many other LD players which you should use Comp
iScan DUO Processor

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 19:54 
Serious fan
Serious fan

jakeheke wrote:
Without using S-Video from R7G are not able to manipulate the built-in in fancy 3D comb filter the machine boasts.
I doubt you would see a advantage with a R7G but you sure would with many many other LD players which you should use Comp

So the R7G with it's 3D comb filter was specially made to use with S-video as primary connection to separate the signals Y/C.
Composite is all in one signal.
Wonder why this player never got component video this is even better than S-video.

I also have a DVL-909 Euro player PAL-NTSC playback.
The 909 have a 2D comb filter?
From 909 I have connected the composite signal output to my 2nd scaler XS-3D.
Could I improve DVL-909 picture quality if I buy my buddy's Kramer 3D scaler?

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 20:33 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I have never owned an R7G but based on feedback it has a very nice comb filter. I would do S-Video into Radiance XS. You already have a top %10 setup if not more like %5. Enjoy it!

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 20:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

substance wrote:
I have never owned an R7G but based on feedback it has a very nice comb filter. I would do S-Video into Radiance XS. You already have a top %10 setup if not more like %5. Enjoy it!

YES, this is what I did, I connected S-Video to my Radiance XS as I prefer S-Video over low quality Composite.

I forgot to ask.
Did DVL-909 share the same comb filter with HLD-X9?
Maybe both players would benefit using Composite with Kramer 3D scaler and TBC?

I will try S-video from my DVL-909 to my 2nd Radiance XS to see if picture gets sharper and crispier?

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 21:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

And for what its worth, I’m 100% with what the other guy's are advising. The only reason that I sold my 7G on was due to the fact that I’d spent an arm & a leg on a then new Lumagen Radiance 2144 for use with my other LD players (CLD-925 & HLD-X9) but couldn’t use it to full advantage with the 7G, believe me when I say its comb filter is xxxx times superior to the X9, save your money for something else!

Never owned a 909 but most likely only fitted with basic 2d comb filter (substance?) the X9 does have 3d filter but not on a par with later iteration installed in 7G. Id wager that the 909 on composite could look better via Kramers 3d filter though, Lumagen XS I believe has only 2d filter.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 21:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
And for what its worth, I’m 100% with what the other guy's are advising. The only reason that I sold my 7G on was due to the fact that I’d spent an arm & a leg on a then new Lumagen Radiance 2144 for use with my other LD players (CLD-925 & HLD-X9) but couldn’t use it to full advantage with the 7G, believe me when I say its comb filter is xxxx times superior to the X9, save your money for something else!

Never owned a 909 but most likely only fitted with basic 2d comb filter (substance?) the X9 does have 3d filter but not on a par with later iteration installed in 7G. Id wager that the 909 on composite could look better via Kramers 3d filter though, Lumagen XS I believe has only 2d filter.

Well we never know before we try things out.
Could be an expensive miss if things don't work out as planned?

Your radiance only have HDMI in and out, how did you manage to connect your players analogue signal to Radiance 2144?

Why did w@nkers at Lumagen name it as XS-3D when it only have a 2D comb filter.
The lack of 3D filtering must have been misleading info to buyers when these were sold in stores!

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 22:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Ah, I think the 3D is referring to the fact that the XS can also handle 3D video sources and is not related to the capabilities of its comb filter. Regarding the Radiance 2144, it also has a full complement of analog connections as well as hdmi unlike the 2124 which is the digital only version.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 22:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
Ah, I think the 3D is referring to the fact that the XS can also handle 3D video sources and is not related to the capabilities of its comb filter. Regarding the Radiance 2144, it also has a full complement of analog connections as well as hdmi unlike the 2124 which is the digital only version.

Your Radiance 2144 must have cost a fotune, you rarely find them on ebay?
The 2144 have composite, is picture quality good on the HLD-X9 and cld925 through composite?

Checking Lumagen's website the archives:
Their VisionHDQ Video Processor had a real 3D comb filter perfect for LD.
When their successor XD - XE - XS was released these only had 2D comb filtering.
WTF, what was this company thinking when they manufactured new scalers with only 2D comb filtering?
These units also had analogue video, people still used VHS and laserdisc back then why not fit a 3D comb filter as well?
The XS model named as 3D was misleading as hell because I thought it had a 3D comb filter from it's name.

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?mo ... d_products

Last edited by noogie-man on 19 Nov 2022, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 23:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

noogie-man wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:

Your Radiance 2144 must have cost a fotune, you rarely find them on ebay?
The 2144 didn't have S-video only composite?

Checking Lumagen's website the archives:
Their VisionHDQ Video Processor had a real 3D comb filter perfect for LD.
When their successor XD - XE - XS was released these only had 2D comb filtering.
WTF, what was this company thinking when they manufactured new scalers with only 2D comb filtering?
These units also had analogue video, people still used VHS and laserdisc back then why not fit a 3D comb filter as well?
The XS model named as 3D was misleading as hell because I thought it had a 3D comb filter from it's name.

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?mo ... d_products

Yes, Its a good thing that my other half isn’t well up in these matters the less said to her the better! ;) No the 2144 does cater for s-video but utilising its phono inputs rather than a standard s-v socket. I’m afraid you’ve got me regarding the downgrading of comb filter’s on the later units after the Vision HDQ, perhaps the company perceived that demand was diminishing for legacy video tech by this point and decided to concentrate their efforts on digital? Maybe the requirement later for a top quality processor like the 2144 was born out of demand from consumers like us that still had a vested interest in the LD format, at the end of the day I think substance may have a much better idea than I on this topic?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 23:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:

Yes, Its a good thing that my other half isn’t well up in these matters the less said to her the better! ;) No the 2144 does cater for s-video but utilising its phono inputs rather than a standard s-v socket. I’m afraid you’ve got me regarding the downgrading of comb filter’s on the later units after the Vision HDQ, perhaps the company perceived that demand was diminishing for legacy video tech by this point and decided to concentrate their efforts on digital? Maybe the requirement later for a top quality processor like the 2144 was born out of demand from consumers like us that still had a vested interest in the LD format, at the end of the day I think substance may have a much better idea than I on this topic?

Yeah, best thing to do is to hide most things from the wife.

The 2144 does a good job on both your players?
The 2144 have composite, is picture quality good on the HLD-X9 and cld925 through composite?

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022, 23:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Both my 925 and older 2950 look superb running PAL LDs via the 2144, the 2950 gives a somewhat softer more analog type image that suits some types of program (to my eyes) better than the more digital looking 925 although on a really nice transfer with low chroma noise etc. the 925 would be my choice. The X9 can look really amazing on the best transfers as you would expect, everything is running through composite as the 2144 has arguably the best comb filter available.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2022, 00:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
Both my 925 and older 2950 look superb running PAL LDs via the 2144, the 2950 gives a somewhat softer more analog type image that suits some types of program (to my eyes) better than the more digital looking 925 although on a really nice transfer with low chroma noise etc. the 925 would be my choice. The X9 can look really amazing on the best transfers as you would expect, everything is running through composite as the 2144 has arguably the best comb filter available.

Ok, thanks for the lovely review.

Wonder what 2144 would go for today?
Is it only available to buy as a trade in from previous owner @ Lumagen?

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2022, 00:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

noogie-man wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:

Ok, thanks for the lovely review.

Wonder what 2144 would go for today?
Is it only available to buy as a trade in from previous owner @ Lumagen?

They do very occasionally come up as if my memory serves me correct someone offered one on here, I think it was maybe last year? don’t think he found a buyer for it then sold it on eBay I think? I imagine a used one would easily fetch 2.5K €/£ upwards maybe Lumagen do get the occasional trade in? They also have official dealers in Europe, one in the UK the other in Italy at the time I purchased mine several years ago, if I spot one available here I’ll let you know :thumbup:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2022, 07:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

iScan DUO Processor could be another option for you, has S-Video in.
I even found one in a small local village here on my tiny pacific island.
Gets the rare stamp of Jake Heke's approval.

Would you like to know more?

iScan DUO Processor

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2022, 12:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jakeheke wrote:
iScan DUO Processor could be another option for you, has S-Video in.
I even found one in a small local village here on my tiny pacific island.
Gets the rare stamp of Jake Heke's approval.

Would you like to know more?

How does your CLD590 look when using the Duo composite input Jake, does it bring it up or close to the R7G standard running via s-video? Just curious.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2022, 18:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

@ jakeheke
Iscan DUO isn't it very old?
Older than Radiance XS-3D although DUO has a better comb filter?

@ laserfanhld-gb
Do you have a link for the Italian shop?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next