It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:44

Page 3 of 3 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Let's hear it for the Leitch DPS-290
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 01:34 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

happycube wrote:
If you have a multimeter measure the main power lines?

I do have a multimeter, but don't have much experience testing electronics. Should I be looking for proper voltage coming into the unit? Can I actually test the capacitors for voltage, or is it resistance? If I am supposed to be checking the caps, I'm assuming this is when the unit is energized? Do I have to worry about discharging the caps? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to ask it all in one shot. Like I said, I don't have much experience in working with electronics, but I'm not afraid to learn. I didn't know anything about cars when I started driving, but I've never had to take any of my vehicles to the shop either. I enjoy and take pride in being able to fix things on my own.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 02:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There should be test points for the 5V, 12V lines coming out of the power supply, I'd tap those. Pretty straightforward and you can see if the power supply's the culprit, the voltage will probably be low if the badcaps are in there.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 05:32 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I'll check it out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 18:53 
hauntmedoitagain wrote:
The NR on these is sooooo goooood, it's just a shame that they don't have a 3D comb filter to top it off. :(

I thought about getting a 475, but it's so hard to find one that's tested to see if the NR functionality is enabled or not.

Hi guys,

For the DPS-475-575 anyone knows how to do to see if NR functionality is enabled or not?

Is that as simple as going into NR menu and see if we can access it or not?

Thanks

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 20:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, I believe if you can access the NR menu, it is enabled. There is a NR button on the front of the unit that brings you right to the menu if it's enabled.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 22:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

So I posted a request to have a new category made regarding these kinds of devices, but then I found this thread in here. It wasn't exactly clear this is where the talk would be. Maybe the title of this category could be amended to include "video processors" or something?

I have purchased a few pieces of equipment like this. To answer a few questions here:

the difference between 475 and 575 is PAL support (575 is dual format). A 475 can be made into a 575 via software. I bought 2 475s and when I got them and powered them up, they turned out to be 575s. The firmware can be upgraded easy via a web interface, super convenient. I had 1.4 on one and 2.15 (i think that is what they were) and upgraded the 1.4 to 2.15 in a few minutes. Don't be deterred from buying a headless model, you can access all the features with a computer over the network web interface. It is actually easier to do it this way. My PAL player is on the way from the UK, so I can verify this for certain when it arrives.

you still cannot run the 3dcomb and noise reduction at the same time on my units either.

Interestingly, the composite out of my player shows some ghosting/ringing/smearing on the luma while the SVIDEO does not (or is much reduced), but the SVIDEO cuts the color bandwidth so the middle of the 1.5mhz bars are grey.

So... I ran svideo to 575-1 and composite to 575-2, a genlock cable between them, and I take the Y off of the 575-1 and pb/pr off 575-2. Works pretty well.

I also got a S&W MDD2000, and while it performs better on the test patterns, it shows some kind of strange "crosshatch" pattern that is apparent on a very large screen. Might look great on a smaller screen.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 18:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

9954tony wrote:
Interestingly, the composite out of my player shows some ghosting/ringing/smearing on the luma while the SVIDEO does not (or is much reduced), but the SVIDEO cuts the color bandwidth so the middle of the 1.5mhz bars are grey.

I noticed this on my CLD-3080. The S-Video has no ringing, but the comb filter in the player is garbage. Your solution is...interesting. I have a DPS-475. Where did you find the firmware upgrade?

I love the chroma noise reduction on these units. The luma causes smearing, but the chroma is just perfect. My only gripes are that, cross-color is not suppressed as well as other filters I've seen, and the analog outputs have, what I believe to be, some RF noise probably due to that damn fan (I replaced mine with a lower RPM blower so it's not so loud).

I also had to add an S-Video out jack because I don't have the breakout cable. I use mine mainly with my SD CRT, but I have also used the SDI out into a DVDO VP-50 and got decent results. A bigger HD screen and zooming into the letterbox area makes the lack of cross-color suppression more apparent though.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 00:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

gumbyandpals wrote:
. Where did you find the firmware upgrade?

I had purchased 2 units listed as DPS-475 from ebay. When I turned them on, they said "DPS-575". One had the newer firmware already, so I just downloaded it using the web interface, then uploaded it to the other one using the web interface, rebooted it, and it worked. They both say DPS-575 v2.16 (I have 2.16, not 2.15 like I posted berfore). Both of them had NR enabled (even before I updated FW).

Unfortunately, I received a 3rd unit today, and tried the same thing, and now it won't boot properly, just keeps looping after file checksum. Holding the "enter" key while powering on puts it in some kind of serial port download mode, but it appears to need some special software, and not just terminal software (like vp50) that I do not have.

Possibly I should have deleted all the files off of it first, as this one had files with filenames that the others didn't. It also did not have NR. I will pm you a link for FW 2.16 zip archive I can post. I don't know if I would recommend it though, it doesn't change the fact that you can't have 3dcomb and DNR on at the same time, and I am uncertain if I will be able to recover the "bricked" one.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 00:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks, I'll probably just keep it as-is for now since I already have the NR option enabled and don't have a use for the PAL functionality of the 575.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 05:07 
First post
First post

I created an account here just so I could get some pointers or help on this--I recently purchased a DPS-575 at a killer deal that, it turned out, did not have the NR unlocked (no wonder the deal was so good.)

Does anyone have a line on how to get the software key to unlock the option?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 19:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Send 9954tony a PM. He has some firmware files that may have the option enabled. I'm not sure if a simple firmware update will unlock it, but it's worth trying. Other than that, I don't think there is a way anymore to get upgrade keys.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 06:06 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I actually found all the files at www.driverguide.com searching for "dps575" (including an image converter / uploader). There are *2* revisions "H" and "G" make sure you flash with the right one, the "erase all flash memory" procedure did not work on mine, now it is just for parts.

I have a few units, 475/575. The internals seem to be the same, so the PAL features are key enabled. Copying all the files from one unit (with NR) to another (without) did not enable NR. I feel the key must be tied to the HW ID of the machine or something.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2020, 16:46 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I just got a DPS-575.

By the operation manual, it seems you can only get S-Video output if you have the breakout cable/box?

Does anyone know where you can get one of those?

I'm searching all over and can't find anything on it.

Page 3 of 3 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3