It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:14

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: DVDO iScan HD Still Good?
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 00:45 
I have the chance to buy a DVDO iScan HD locally at a good price. I'm wondering what advancements have been made in the newer ones, and is this one still good? Two things I'm nervous about is the fact it only upscales to 1080i and the fact they say it only has a 2D comb filter, not a 3D. Of course the newer ones lack analog inputs.

Post subject: Re: DVDO iScan HD Still Good?
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 01:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Supposedly, all the DVDOs have bad comb filters and I think it can do 1080p as well.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 15:18 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have a DVDO I-Scan Plus--which I think is the lowest end of their scalers/line doublers. And yes, the comb filter is pretty average. The 2D comb filter in the CLD-D704/79 is better.

Don't know about their higher end scalers though.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 16:08 
mmm, I'm guessing they didn't bother putting in a decent comb filter because they figure you're using these things to upscale s-video or component sources, not composite. But you would think for the price they sold them out they could give a decent comb filter too! What sorts of upscalers would be better?

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 17:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have the DVDO iScan VP20 and can confirm that the comb filter is just average. However, the unit is great at upscaling, and switching between the analog and digital LD audio tracks. It also has some nice features like creating black borders on screen which is useful to block out Japanese subtitles (outside of the image area) for english based films released on LD from Japan.

Visual tests using the Snell & Wilcox pattern (found on Video Essentials (1996) [DVDI0712]) reveal that DVD-R recorders have the best comb filter for the money. That is why I run the composite signal through a Panasonic DMR-ES15, and then component out to the DVDO iScan VP20.

Try to find good deals on a DVDO product and a cheap DVD-R recorder. The combo of the two is the best way to go (IMHO).

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 18:09 
It doesn't matter, the seller backed out of the deal.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 18:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

jamisonia wrote:
It doesn't matter, the seller backed out of the deal.

Don't give up hope. It took me a couple months of searching but I eventually was able to pick up the DVDO iScan VP20 from ebay for $150. (w/shipping).

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 18:43 
I recently picked up a Dvdo Iscan Pro from Ebay for cheap. Its one of their lower models but I only use it for the line doubler, not the comb filter. Dvd recorder outputs component to the Iscan which has a VGA to component cable to the TV. Very happy with the results so far.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 19:56 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Only scaler I've ever seen that touted its comb filter was a Zinwell model. It said it had a 3D comb filter. Don't remember the model number though. Nor have I read any reviews about its quality.

I do have a piece of Zinwell equipment in my house--a Digital-to-Analog TV tuner. Works really well, but not really a great benchmark to judge the rest of their equipment!

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 21:15 
I'll keep searching. At work we use a software called Terapeak which is an eBay selling tool. I checked the DVDO iScan HD. It averages and prices far higher than I'm willing to pay, but you do see some sales for ~$100 or less. I don't really understand what is keeping these things selling in the $300 range.

Are the better ones like the VP20 anything better than just the iScan HD or iScan HD+?

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 21:22 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

jamisonia wrote:
I'll keep searching. At work we use a software called Terapeak which is an eBay selling tool. I checked the DVDO iScan HD. It averages and prices far higher than I'm willing to pay, but you do see some sales for ~$100 or less. I don't really understand what is keeping these things selling in the $300 range.

Are the better ones like the VP20 anything better than just the iScan HD or iScan HD+?

Faroudja are supposed to be the best out there as far as video processing goes. They are among the most expensive. Then again, that might just be the "Bose Effect" (really pricey, but not really the best, just a high reputation.)

I never really read up on Faroudja scalers as I knew I could never afford them.

I will say that the Faroudja DCDi line-doubler built into my circa 2003 Chinese all-region DVD player still outputs some amazing video, but that's the extent of my Faroudja experience.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 21:25 
Your Oppo I assume? I have an Oppo too and its pretty good, but my Toshiba HD-XA2 blows it out of the water. I wish I could use that to upscale everything with!

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 21:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

jamisonia wrote:
Your Oppo I assume? I have an Oppo too and its pretty good, but my Toshiba HD-XA2 blows it out of the water. I wish I could use that to upscale everything with!

Nah, I got a Skyworth. Need that for the 15 pin RGB output (my then home theater display was a 37" Mitsubishi Megaview computer monitor.)

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 13:52 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hello,

I use DVDO Iscan HD+ for LD and I have got noticeable improvement of picture with this scaler. The picture is more sharp, detailed and stable with HD+.

I also have got the Lumagen HDQ that was recommended by some people for LD (good comb filter?). But in my setup I much more prefer the HD+. There is a some kind of grain and some picture unstability with HDQ.

My setup: Pioneer CLD97 (or DVL919E) --- (s-video)-- HD+---(DVI, 720P) ---- Sanyo PLV-Z5 (projector)

I have tried to use LD composite out but have got worse results.

Happy New Year from Moscow/Russia to all LDDB members!

Dmitriy

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]