It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:40

Page 7 of 17 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: DVD Recorders with 3D Comb Filters
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2013, 15:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hey Disclord- I just got a Panasonic DMR-E20 based on your glowing words here. Will letcha know my opinions once I get it. Thanks! :-)

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 20:18 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Would professional or quasi-professional equipment such as this have decent comb filters?

JVC SR-DVM700U MiniDV/HDD/DVD Recorder

I'm kind of leaning towards no, but this would be a pretty interesting piece of tech to own. Not only has a firewire in/out, but also an SDI out (not that I have anything with an SDI input.)

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 21:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Would professional or quasi-professional equipment such as this have decent comb filters?

JVC SR-DVM700U MiniDV/HDD/DVD Recorder

I'm kind of leaning towards no, but this would be a pretty interesting piece of tech to own. Not only has a firewire in/out, but also an SDI out (not that I have anything with an SDI input.)

My guess is it would have a full bandwidth 3D comb filter due to the quality of the DV format and its pro status. Isn't there any product lit that gives info?

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 21:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

disclord wrote:
My guess is it would have a full bandwidth 3D comb filter due to the quality of the DV format and its pro status. Isn't there any product lit that gives info?

Doesn't say anything about it or even describe the A/D conversion in the manual. Couldn't really find out anything about it in the brochures either . . .

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/DVD/b ... m700us.pdf

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/DVD/b ... ecks07.pdf

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/DVD/d ... ison07.pdf

And my mistake, the BNC connector isn't SDI. It's just composite.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013, 00:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I just got the Panasonic recorder today! The testing subject matter was an EP recorded VHS of Elvira hosting "The Wasp Woman".
What can I say, I am impressed!!! No time today to do the VE Snell & Wilcox, but this looks great. No video noise or chroma noise in the reds either!
:clap:

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 01:38 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Finally, all connected properly and calibrated. The E20 is connected via component to the iScan HD+, which is connected to the 50" Toshiba LCD
via component.

The results? WHEEEEEEE! :mrgreen:

The S&W orb produces no rainbowing when stopped and there's very, very minimal distortion overall. And it makes great DVD-R's as well. Thanks
for the recommendation!

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 18:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

circlesky73 wrote:
Finally, all connected properly and calibrated. The E20 is connected via component to the iScan HD+, which is connected to the 50" Toshiba LCD
via component.

The results? WHEEEEEEE! :mrgreen:

The S&W orb produces no rainbowing when stopped and there's very, very minimal distortion overall. And it makes great DVD-R's as well. Thanks
for the recommendation!

Excellent to hear! The E20 has one of the best 3D comb filters available - if it had just slightly wider chroma response it would be perfect, but we are pretty insensitive to chroma resolution so that doesnt cause any real-world problems - and its still better than the majority of 3D comb filters - i've seen some on recent televisions that only have 40 lines of chroma response. The E20 is nice because you can turn off the 3D Y/C processing, forcing it to 2D adaptive comb filtering, which is sometimes needed if playing or recording an LD that has too much smearing from excessive video noise reduction (many Pioneer Artists titles are guilty of that), since 3D comb filtering can make it look even worse.

What LaserDisc player do you use?

The next upgrade you need, which isn't that expensive (just loud!), is a DPS-290 professional Time Base Corrector - its TBC and luma/chroma NR, plus the ability to realign the chroma and luma (which are slightly misaligned on the majority of late model LD players), make even old, low-end LaserDisc players look fantastic. I can't imagine my system without one now, its become THAT important to an excellent LaserDisc picture (and playback of old VHS and SuperBeta tapes). And they can be bought on eBay from $50-125 or so - they originally cost $3,500 just 10 years ago when NTSC TV stations all needed heavy duty TBC's.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 20:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I totally second what disclord is saying about the DPS-290. I got one after his recommendation and it really has made a world of difference. The stock unit is incredibly loud though. However, it's all caused by the fan and you can add rubber bearings to the screws, or just replace the fan (which is easy enough to do since it's only a two wire fan, you can just splice the wires). (For reference the fan is 40mm.)

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 18:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks for the tip, disclord!

The player is a DVL-700 that Duncan turned into a DVL-90. He has my CLD-703 for the AC3 mod, but it turns out there's a circuit boatd issue. I sent him an email a couple of weeks ago, but he mighta missed it, no reply yet. Was thinking of finding a Panasonic 900, in case the 703 is toast.

What kind of connectors does that TBC use? Are they standard TCA coax? There's quite a few of them on eBay for good prices. Would that be better than replacing the LD player, since you said the TBS makes even lower units look good?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 20:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

circlesky73 wrote:
Thanks for the tip, disclord!

The player is a DVL-700 that Duncan turned into a DVL-90. He has my CLD-703 for the AC3 mod, but it turns out there's a circuit boatd issue. I sent him an email a couple of weeks ago, but he mighta missed it, no reply yet. Was thinking of finding a Panasonic 900, in case the 703 is toast.

What kind of connectors does that TBC use? Are they standard TCA coax? There's quite a few of them on eBay for good prices. Would that be better than replacing the LD player, since you said the TBS makes even lower units look good?

The composite jacks are BNC and S-video is regular 4-pin DIN. (It also has component jacks, but it does something like use a single VGA plug for in and out (you need a breakout cable), I forget exactly what it was because I don't use component with it.)

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 00:48 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Last edited by circlesky73 on 21 Jul 2013, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 02:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Where should it be in the chain, using component connections? And where can I get the VGA I/O connector?

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 02:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

circlesky73 wrote:
Where should it be in the chain, using component connections?

If you're using component in and out then I don't think you'd have a choice but to use it after the E-20.
circlesky73 wrote:
And where can I get the VGA I/O connector?

You'd probably have to make one.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 03:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I found some BNC to RCA converters on Amazon and I have an extra VGA cable, so I should be good there.

Oh, and I realized the whole composite after DVD recorder after I posted that. Ooops. Heh.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 03:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

circlesky73 wrote:
I found some BNC to RCA converters on Amazon and I have an extra VGA cable, so I should be good there.

Oh, and I realized the whole composite after DVD recorder after I posted that. Ooops. Heh.

I got the manual from disclord, so you should PM him for a link but the pinout for the D-sub 15 connector is

Signal Connections:
Pin 1 B-Y Output
Pin 5 R-Y Input
Pin 6 R-Y Output
Pin 9 RGB Sync Input
Pin 10 B-Y Input
Pin 11 Y Output
Pin 12 ASync Output
Pin 14 GPI
Pin 15 Y Input

Ground Connections:
Pin 2 R-Y/B-Y Output
Pin 3 RGB Sync Input
Pin 4 R-Y/B-Y Input
Pin 7 Y Output
Pin 8 ASync Output
Pin 13 Y Input/GPI Input

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2013, 21:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks, naiaru. I found some on The 'Bay that have the connectors, so that won't be an issue (thankfully). I think I'll be getting one Thursday. W00t!

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 22:59 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Well, I got the DPS-290 all set up. Holy Oprah, that sucker works miracles! I have it set up between the DVR recorder and the iScan via s-video, until I can finangle the VGA connection; how difficult is it to make my own?

As for settings, it's all set up at the ''flat' position. No chroma noise, no noise at all! After 5 hours or so of tweaking, LDs look just like DVDs, just no compression artifacts. Thanks for the tip, disclord!!!

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 23:19 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I take it if I'm using the comb filter in my TV, I wouldn't be able to use a TBC?

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 01:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I take it if I'm using the comb filter in my TV, I wouldn't be able to use a TBC?

That's no problem. It has a composite input and output.

circlesky73 wrote:
Well, I got the DPS-290 all set up. Holy Oprah, that sucker works miracles! I have it set up between the DVR recorder and the iScan via s-video, until I can finangle the VGA connection; how difficult is it to make my own?

As for settings, it's all set up at the ''flat' position. No chroma noise, no noise at all! After 5 hours or so of tweaking, LDs look just like DVDs, just no compression artifacts. Thanks for the tip, disclord!!!

Have you used the Y/C horizontal control yet? (I remember disclord told me what test in VE was good for setting that, but I can't seem to find that message. Hopefully he'll chime back in.)

If you can solder then making the adapter shouldn't be too hard. You essentially just have to wire a VGA plug to a bunch of RCA jacks.

Also, what I said previously about changing the fan doesn't require any soldering (if you don't want it to). You can just twist the wires together.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 03:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I found the plug on eBay, just need to get it. It looks pretty easy. The fan is loud, but not obstructively loud. If disclord can chime in on ideal settings, that'd be cool. HINT HINT. :geek:

Page 7 of 17 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next