It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:11

Page 16 of 17 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: DVD Recorders with 3D Comb Filters
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019, 01:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

deadlegion wrote:
I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a used LD test disc

Huh? Typical price on the shops here is around $25 https://www.lddb.com/past/29054/ and you can pick one up for less than that with a little patience.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019, 02:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
deadlegion wrote:

Huh? Typical price on the shops here is around $25 https://www.lddb.com/past/29054/ and you can pick one up for less than that with a little patience.

Only one copy available. US seller $34.98usd and I expect shipping would push that above $60usd, which is like $87aud.
Plus I don't trust shipping from US sellers. Stuff gets damaged and lost all the time. I'd rather buy stuff from Asia they're nearly always better when dealing with damaged items.

For something like this I wouldn't pay more than $15aud.

I've got stuff from Gypsy over in the US before (not LD) but that's a completely different scenario.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2019, 17:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Saw a panny EH65 today irl but couldn't recall it being mentioned here. $25aud but I passed on it.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2020, 20:34 
First post
First post

virtualvcr wrote:
So I broke down and got a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI PCI card. Ran the S&W test. Holy s**t. The Left is using S-Video. The right using Component. Both out of my RD-XS34

Caputured using AVIsynth. the only thing I did was use one call of LRemoveDust(17,2) on the right.

Hi,

I'm a newbie on this forum (but I read it for a long time).
I bought a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI PCIe card and I plugged into the BNC-composite my HLD-X0 (from its BNC output).
But I only get a poor 2D comb filtering on the S&W test. I use the latest version of VirtualDub.

Could you tell me what I have to do to get an amazing 3D comb filtering as you got ?

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2020, 23:01 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

zigzig wrote:
virtualvcr wrote:
So I broke down and got a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI PCI card. Ran the S&W test. Holy s**t. The Left is using S-Video. The right using Component. Both out of my RD-XS34

Caputured using AVIsynth. the only thing I did was use one call of LRemoveDust(17,2) on the right.

Hi,

I bought a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI PCIe card and I plugged into the BNC-composite my HLD-X0 (from its BNC output).
But I only get a poor 2D comb filtering on the S&W test. I use the latest version of VirtualDub.

Could you tell me what I have to do to get an amazing 3D comb filtering as you got ?

Thank you very much!

He says in his post that he's using a RD-XS34 DVD recorder between the LD player and the capture card, so I'm concluding that the comb filtering is done by the DVD Recorder.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2020, 04:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
jakeheke wrote:
Quick noob question. Found a DMR ES15 /ES25 locally cheap. Working but the DVD tray is busted. As long as i have the remote i can make use of it to use it to 3D comb between my LD player and TV correct?

I remember reading a post here that some will shut off after a period of time not being used.
So if you just use it as a filter it may shut off after 20 minutes?? Only issue you need to worry about?

I know this is an older post, but I have an ES15 and wanted to confirm that it does NOT shut off automatically while I'm feeding video through it. I use it frequently to transfer LDs through my PC capture card, and it's never shut off on me.

I also write software.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2020, 06:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

mikechambers wrote:
rein-o wrote:
jakeheke wrote:
Quick noob question. Found a DMR ES15 /ES25 locally cheap. Working but the DVD tray is busted. As long as i have the remote i can make use of it to use it to 3D comb between my LD player and TV correct?

I remember reading a post here that some will shut off after a period of time not being used.
So if you just use it as a filter it may shut off after 20 minutes?? Only issue you need to worry about?

I know this is an older post, but I have an ES15 and wanted to confirm that it does NOT shut off automatically while I'm feeding video through it. I use it frequently to transfer LDs through my PC capture card, and it's never shut off on me.

Thank you :)
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2020, 09:29 
Honest fan
Honest fan

zigzig wrote:

Hi,

Thank you very much!
IIRC, CLD-703 (Composite) > Toshiba RD-XS34 (comb filter) > Magewell Pro Capture HDMI (Component). The XS34 is a b**ch. Mine is dying. No audio output.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 07:13 
So noob here
When it comes to using a dvdr with a laserdisc player you simply plug the player into the dvdr and play the laserdisc through it? And that is suppose to help with the picture quality?

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 17:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

sirorion200 wrote:
So noob here
When it comes to using a dvdr with a laserdisc player you simply plug the player into the dvdr and play the laserdisc through it? And that is suppose to help with the picture quality?

Yep.

1 thing that helps is if your TV doesn't have correct in's then you need the DVD recorder.
But there are tons of things you need to make sure of.
Some systems will shut off after a period of time and then you can't watch the entire film.

So many other things I've read over time about them, I would just do the DVDO or something like that if you can get it cheap.
I personally just run straight without anything.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2020, 18:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The comb filters at Panasonic Diga DVD recorders are 3-line not 3-Dimensional but anyway pretty good; I have the DMR-ES35V it is 3-line comb filter.

The JVC SVHS VCRs (i have the HR-S5960) have also an amazing Y/C separation at its S-Video output and can be used too( if inputs available on front deck) as a walk through .

Remember that comb filters are only "ON" in the composite input of the crt/monitor !!! ......so buy the CLD-R7G if you are planning to hook it at your tv s-video input

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2020, 20:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

sirorion200 wrote:
So noob here

Believe it or not, yes. Not just any DVD recorder but many. I have a JVC that I don’t usually use for this purpose because IMO the motion isn’t as good as it is going straight to my HDCRT but if you have the right DVD recorder it’s a great way to turn composite into HDMI with zero headache and low cost.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2020, 07:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

With the DVD recorder S-Video output (comb filter ON) to the Sony PVM (calibrated) i achieved what i think it is a near perfect or perfect D65 white point and a really good color separation from the Arislan LD.
Think AV receivers are more expensive.

Attachments:
IMG_20200806_171952.jpg
IMG_20200806_171952.jpg [ 218 KiB | Viewed 4823 times ]

Last edited by ertoili on 07 Aug 2020, 12:36, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2020, 11:20 
True fan
True fan

deadlegion wrote:
audioboyz1973 wrote:
deadlegion wrote:

Only one copy available. US seller $34.98usd and I expect shipping would push that above $60usd, which is like $87aud.
Plus I don't trust shipping from US sellers. Stuff gets damaged and lost all the time. I'd rather buy stuff from Asia they're nearly always better when dealing with damaged items.

For something like this I wouldn't pay more than $15aud.

I've got stuff from Gypsy over in the US before (not LD) but that's a completely different scenario.

Pay postage and I'll send you one for free, I have like 5 different test discs, and I really do not need that many.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2020, 14:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

pokefraker wrote:
Pay postage and I'll send you one for free, I have like 5 different test discs, and I really do not need that many.

I appreciate the offer but I'm not sure it's a good idea right now, too much risk (mainly because of the type of media). Things will probably be bad until next year at least.
Stuff I've been getting from OS right now is very delayed and a couple of things still haven't turned up like 3 months later (but I've been refunded so no loss to me at all).

Only had one package come from the US in the last few months, thankfully that was only delayed by about 1 week past estimated time. That was 2x Xbox One games new sealed with free postage.

Stuff I got from Gypsy in the past was all trades so I never paid him anything.
How would I pay for postage?

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2020, 19:24 
True fan
True fan

Shoot me a PM and we can see what will work payment wise, but I understand you just wanting to wait until next year due to current shipping issues.

PostPosted: 29 May 2021, 18:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I posted a link to a capture I did with the HLD-X0 composite out to a Pioneer DVR-LX70D recorder

https://mega.nz/folder/R4Y3GQYb#7Ika7nTqs5kjDPjLiK5jig

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2024, 15:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I've been out of the loop for a while so not sure what the current opinions on DVD Recorder comb filters are. Are Panasonic DMR E20, ES10 to ES25 still conisdered a good budget comb filter? Is one better than the other? The ES15 seems to get a lot of mentions here and it's by far the most expensive in my eBay searches. Or have better budget options appeared?

From what I've read the ES10, 15, 20, and 25 all have the same 3D comb filter, while the E20 has the same one but allows you to toggle between 2D and 3D filtering...is this correct?

I'm in the UK so I'm be looking for PAL models if that helps.

I spotted a few posts over on VideoHelp with people detailing all sorts of visual issues introduced by the Panasonic recorders (black levels, blown out whites, posterization), but they were entirely focused on VHS capture so not sure if the same applies for LD viewing.

Sorry for bumping an old thread; I just though it better to resurrect this one rather than make a whole new one just for my question.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2024, 20:59 
Honest fan
Honest fan

you'll find some videos of recordings I did not too long ago.
Especially bought the Panasonic to do the comb filter test:

Panasonic DMR-E20 PAL/NTSC Multistandard DVD-R recorder added.

https://mega.nz/folder/xgh1RBia#q5O284l3poN9pKb-AO5Ljg

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2024, 11:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nidi wrote:
you'll find some videos of recordings I did not too long ago.
Especially bought the Panasonic to do the comb filter test:

Panasonic DMR-E20 PAL/NTSC Multistandard DVD-R recorder added.

https://mega.nz/folder/xgh1RBia#q5O284l3poN9pKb-AO5Ljg

Thanks, that's useful to see. More rainbowing than I was expecting from some of the other screenshots I'd seen, but the detail looks good and the video montage is nice. How are you connecting the DMR-E20 to your display? The PAL unit has composite, S-Video, and SCART out, sadly none of which would be great for my setup as my AV receiver doesn't have SCART or S-Video in; that's why I'm looking at the DMR-ES10 which has component out.

It looks like the E20 has an adjustable comb filter, while the others have a simple on/off. Is the adjustable setting on the E20 worth having? If so I might be able to hook one up to my receiver with a decent SCART to Component cable.

Page 16 of 17 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next