It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:57

Page 2 of 4 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oppo UDP-205 PRE-ORDER
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2018, 16:54 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I'm hoping to get the 203. I can't spend the extra for the 205 upgrade.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 09:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nissling wrote:
Fantastic Julien! You won't be disappointed. :)

Received and quickly installed where the BDP-105 was.

It sounds really good. Quite thrilled to see the USB DAC go up to 32bit/384KHz on Windows 10.
Added benefit I didn't realize: Wifi is integrated now, no need for a wireless USB key like on the 105.

Must fine-tune foobar2000 now to make it play DSD64/DSD128 natively over USB.

If other people out there are instered in the DAC without buying the whole OPPO, HIFImeDYI just announced that their external DAC based on the SABRE ES9038PRO is available as a standard product now:

Hifime UDA38Pro DAC (ES9038Pro + SA9227) @ US$249
https://hifimediy.com/uda38pro-usb-dac-es9038pro

Julien

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 23:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I just heard about oppo a few days ago. I can't believe they are folding. I just ordered a UDP-203. This will be my 3rd player from them in the last 10 years or so. They've always made high-quality products at reasonable prices (considering what you are getting).

I wasn't aware how expensive the players were outside of the US. I bought mine from Amazon (via Oppo) for $577 USD shipping included (plus 5% cash back with my Amazon credit card). For those thinking about pulling the trigger, now is the time to act. Who knows how much longer units will be available and the units on ebay already cost more than what Oppo is charging directly from their store.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 09:47 
Site Admin
Site Admin

invenio wrote:
I wasn't aware how expensive the players were outside of the US.

It's a global trend: any piece of electronics is selling for much cheaper in the USA now.
It used to be Hong Kong but not anymore.

Had to buy my laptop from HP USA because the 15" model only exists in North America and the trimmed down version for Europe sells for 50% more there.

Same for OPPO.

Anything outside the USA is 20~50% more expensive these days.

Julien

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 11:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

In Sweden it's even more expensive due to a "chemical tax" which adds 120 SEK per kilogram of the product to the final price, though the limit is 320 SEK. Though I'm not really that critical to taxes and VAT in most cases, this is just stupid as they're measuring the weight of the product in its original box, with manual and other accessories. Quite a terrible way to make money if you ask me.

I paid 9490 SEK for my Oppo UDP-203, region free with two UHD-BDs. It equals to $1128, which is indeed a crazy amount. In Sweden, the entire electronic business has gone crazy. It's pretty much all between three retailers right now and two of them are nearly bankrupt. Only good thing with these prices is that you know the retailers aren't ripping you off as they can barely make a profit out of the market, even though people are buying electronics like crazy over here.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 11:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

nissling wrote:
In Sweden it's even more expensive due to a "chemical tax" which adds 120 SEK per kilogram of the product to the final price, though the limit is 320 SEK. Though I'm not really that critical to taxes and VAT in most cases, this is just stupid as they're measuring the weight of the product in its original box, with manual and other accessories. Quite a terrible way to make money if you ask me.

I paid 9490 SEK for my Oppo UDP-203, region free with two UHD-BDs. It equals to $1128, which is indeed a crazy amount. In Sweden, the entire electronic business has gone crazy. It's pretty much all between three retailers right now and two of them are nearly bankrupt. Only good thing with these prices is that you know the retailers aren't ripping you off as they can barely make a profit out of the market, even though people are buying electronics like crazy over here.

Wow, those are truly some insane prices. With those kinds of mark up it's probably cheaper to fly to the US, buy all your home theater hardware, stay at a luxury hotel for a few days, and then fly back!

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 12:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Maybe, but I boycott all airlines there is and will never set my foot on a plane so in the end it's not an alternative. :)

I will however say that no matter where you live in Sweden, if you're looking to buy the LG 65C8, you may as well go to Denmark (by car) and buy one. Even with all transportation costs and tolls considered, it'll still most likely be a couple of hundered USD cheaper than getting one where you live. Absurd yet true, and as long as you just buy it for private usage you don't have to pay any additional taxes when trespassing the borders.

Last edited by nissling on 22 Apr 2018, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 12:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I guess we are a little spoiled here in the US when it comes to electronics. We have pretty good prices on goods, fast shipping, etc...

As somebody who likes to travel, any reason why you won't fly? The world is truly beautiful and I can't imagine not seeing more of it. I just got back from a trip to Hong Kong and it was amazing. I'm going to take a "relaxing vacation" in St. Lucia soon and I can't wait. Without air travel I would not be able to see the world.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 12:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Partly because I dislike traveling to begin with, just get homesickness right away. Mostly though for environmental reasons. I'm already causing too much carbon dioxide emissions and thus opt out flying isn't a difficult tradeoff for me. Not saying that I'm perfect nor that travellers haven't got good intentions. I just cannot justify me travel just for fun so I rather spend my money on other stuff. :)

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 13:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Interesting. I certainly respect your views and decision. For me personally, I find traveling immensely rewarding. Interacting with other cultures, delving into the history of locations, witnessing the architecture, eating local foods, etc... is an experience I really can't describe in words. I enjoy also being at home,... but it's hard to explain the feeling of standing at Machu Pichu when the morning clouds break, walking through Paris with a loved one, walking the canals of Venice,.... These kinds of experiences are some of my most vivid memories of my life.

Also, keep in mind that flying is actually very fuel efficient. Much more so than driving a car. Fuel is only about 0.01 gallons per mile per person. https://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/flight/modern/question192.htm

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 13:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I am fully aware of these numbers, but I'm not going to say that driving a car is by any mean better for the enviroment. Personally I'm planning to sell my Toyota Aygo later this year and spend the money on an ISF Certificate. I only commute by bus and train anyway, even though I'm living on the countryside of Stockholm. :)

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 13:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well, I applaud you for your environmental conscious. Where I live there is no public transportation. It would be nice to have more transportation options but the issue is that outside of a major city, it usually is not feasible or the door-to-door travel time is significantly more (and time is money).

I think we went a little off-track on the topic! :)

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 05:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have 2 questions on the UDP-205 :-)

1/ Right now I plugged the External Out in 5.1ch (6 cables) to the 5.1ch Multi In of my Amp.
This is how I forward both stereo and 5.1 sound from the OPPO's DACs. Stereo is using the L/R of the 5.1ch out.

But should I rather use the Stereo dedicated Output of the OPPO for stereo-only sound?
Better sound quality?

2/ I forwarded the coax out of my LD Player to the coax in of the OPPO and when playing a DTS LD, it does decode it to 5.1ch.
However the OPPO display remains in "CD" more with no indication it's decoding anything.

Is that expected?

Julien

PS: side note, this classic eBay auction of a complete (but not region modded) 205 ended at US$1,734, which triggered a US$1,750 BIN on a competing auction while new 205's were going from US$1,975 to US$2,253.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 19:54 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Are these Oppo's region free for Blu-ray out of the box or does it need some firmware update?

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 20:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You'll need a modchip. The installation process is very simple, though it may not be worth it economically to do it yourself if you can find a multi region Oppo for a decent price to begin with.

There are also jailbreak solutions but I personally don't trust these, nor think we should discuss that on this forum...

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 23:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

admin wrote:
I have 2 questions on the UDP-205 :-)

1/ Right now I plugged the External Out in 5.1ch (6 cables) to the 5.1ch Multi In of my Amp.
This is how I forward both stereo and 5.1 sound from the OPPO's DACs. Stereo is using the L/R of the 5.1ch out.

But should I rather use the Stereo dedicated Output of the OPPO for stereo-only sound?
Better sound quality?

The stereo output should be the same from the multichannel RCA plugs and the stereo dedicated plugs (when stereo audio is played). Multichannel audio will be downmixed to stereo in the stereo channel output plugs. So for multichannel audio the stereo dedicated plugs and the left and right channel plugs of the multichannel output may be different.

admin wrote:
2/ I forwarded the coax out of my LD Player to the coax in of the OPPO and when playing a DTS LD, it does decode it to 5.1ch.
However the OPPO display remains in "CD" more with no indication it's decoding anything.

Is that expected?

"The UDP-205 supports up to 2ch/768kHz PCM and DSD512 signals through its USB audio
input, and up to 2ch/96kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS and AAC signal through its Optical and
Coaxial audio inputs." This is directly from the manual. So as long as the output is compatible, it should be doing the decoding.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 02:55 
Site Admin
Site Admin

invenio wrote:
"The UDP-205 supports up to 2ch/768kHz PCM and DSD512 signals through its USB audio
input, and up to 2ch/96kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS and AAC signal through its Optical and
Coaxial audio inputs." This is directly from the manual. So as long as the output is compatible, it should be doing the decoding.

Thanks for replying!

It does the decoding all right, but I was expecting the player to show "Dolby" or "DTS" when decoding something.
It just remains on the default display, no indication that it's doing anything (even though it does).

I sent an email to OPPO for confirmation.

Julien

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 10:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Oppo industrial design is just so weak though, I can't like their players no matter how well reviewed they are I just don't want one in my stack.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 11:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin

forper wrote:
Oppo industrial design is just so weak though.

Which part exactly?
References? Measurements?

Julien

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 12:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have to presume he meant aesthetic design. I find the build quality of Oppo units typically much better than say sony, Panasonic,.. etc. I don't see anything wrong with their design. I actually like it. Elegant, functional,... not sure what anybody would complain about.

Page 2 of 4 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next