It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:10

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Sony Trinitron KV-32LS65AUS
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 09:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

sjoerg wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Q190Aoiuk

Personally I would look for something else, IMO 16:9 for LD is not recommended, !

my 16:9 CRT works beautifully with a widescreen LD and a scaler, my DVDO VP-50, which can be picked up reasonably easily/cheaply. Robocop in original aspect ratio:

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 13:44 
True fan
True fan

I know the 16:9s sony are highly regarded, I've never had a chance to use or see one. I'm just sort of partial to 4:3, it's just what I'm used to. some things don't work so well with it, but LD certainly does.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to pick up one of those sets some day, I did inquire about a free 16:9 wega a few months back just for kicks but someone had beat me to it.

At the moment though it would not be practical because of space limitations. I just finished an av rack unit incorporating my 20" wega, and I have two 24" sets in the basement, though one I may have to part with since I think its tube may be failing.

To the OP though I would say what there to lose if the price is fight (free or close)
like Zeta said they won't be making these again

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 14:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

OK Lets get one thing straight.
Tubes on CRTs will last almost forever, all other parts will die first.
I used to repair monitors on arcade machines, only issue was the burn in and they were really dirty.

As mentioned earlier you will need to adjust them, there is just more to adjust on them, but the tubes hardly ever die.
Flybacks, caps, and other stuff will first.

As long as the gases don't get out they will work, but could have issues.

I'm really amazed that any of you are still using CRTs, the newer they were whenever I owned one they died in about 4-6 years and that was with normal
TV and LD use.

Smaller sized CRTs were always bullet proof.
We had a 20 inch growing up, couldn't kill that thing, I played video games on it after we got a 27" and we actually went through 1 repair and 2 sets.

And yes Forper, it was a SONY :| But it was also an 80s model.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 16:10 
True fan
True fan

Well yes I can't say for certain it's the tube or not, honestly it still looks pretty good, but something is just not right with this set, it lacks sharpness and has this weird saturation of the reds, the picture is also a little lacking in brightness, I'm no expert but that could be a sign of the red gun getting worn out and bleeding a little, anyway the picture just looks a little tired to me in general.

Crts will last basically forever I agree, however it is said that there is a half-life, when a tube reaches 50%.
I grew up with an RCA my parents used that is now 30 years old, its still in the cellar and it had a good picture last I checked but it has sound issues.

the Sony is from 2003 so it should be in better shape, I just have the impression it was heavily used, maybe some service menu adjustments can fix it.

The good thing is we live in a time , at least for now, where if you're not happy with you're CRT, you pretty much drive down the road and find one on the curb, with the CRT disposal laws in place, people are happy to hand them over.

Then you just have to deal with what you don't want...

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 17:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

sjoerg wrote:
Well yes I can't say for certain it's the tube or not, honestly it still looks pretty good, but something is just not right with this set, it lacks sharpness and has this weird saturation of the reds, the picture is also a little lacking in brightness, I'm no expert but that could be a sign of the red gun getting worn out and bleeding a little, anyway the picture just looks a little tired to me in general.

Crts will last basically forever I agree, however it is said that there is a half-life, when a tube reaches 50%.
I grew up with an RCA my parents used that is now 30 years old, its still in the cellar and it had a good picture last I checked but it has sound issues.

the Sony is from 2003 so it should be in better shape, I just have the impression it was heavily used, maybe some service menu adjustments can fix it.

The good thing is we live in a time , at least for now, where if you're not happy with you're CRT, you pretty much drive down the road and find one on the curb, with the CRT disposal laws in place, people are happy to hand them over.

Then you just have to deal with what you don't want...

Well if you want a replacement . . . .

Sony KD-36XS955 Super Fine Pitch Trinitron

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 19:13 
True fan
True fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Well if you want a replacement . . . .

Sony KD-36XS955 Super Fine Pitch Trinitron

Hah, I did see your add, can't say I didn't consider it, however Philly is just a bit far for me, though I've been known to drive over an hour for Trinitrons, last week I did pick up another 24" Wega, didn't try it yet but was told it was a low use set, it lived in a vacation cottage in the Catskills.

Keep in mind these are just backups!

As much a as I'd like another my Cellar is already packed with CRTs, at this point I'm considering doing some EOL vids Shango066 style..

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2