It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:57

Page 8 of 9 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you using to upscale your LD Player on New 4K T
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 11:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's not the end of the world. Great that it comes with the original box, mine was just the unit, the remote control and the power lead. Same with the VP50 Pro (that came with rack mounts too).

I don't think you'll see a leaps and bounds oh wow shazzam woahnelly difference in performance. Yet the subtleties are certainly there, especially with the comb filter the Edge has on board. I ran my CLD-D925 with both DVDO devices for a while and it was great, can't really fault it. The big night and day in Laserdiscs came recently for me when I imported a CLD-R7G.

Every time I spin a disc in the R7G and switch on the DEXT mode thing it makes me smile. I have it running over S Video up to the DVDO Edge. The combination of the two is superb. I didn't really believe the talk about it on the LDDB forums until I actually saw it for myself. Keep in mind though it also depends on how well mastered the disc you are playing is. Good audio, good picture and good kit and you'll wonder at certain times if you are watching something on par, or better than DVD (minus the horrid digital mosaicing).

Forget all of that for now else you'll end up down a rabbit hole. Enjoy watching your discs and enjoy your new DVDO Edge! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 12:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

teddanson wrote:
It's not the end of the world. Great that it comes with the original box, mine was just the unit, the remote control and the power lead. Same with the VP50 Pro (that came with rack mounts too).

I don't think you'll see a leaps and bounds oh wow shazzam woahnelly difference in performance. Yet the subtleties are certainly there, especially with the comb filter the Edge has on board. I ran my CLD-D925 with both DVDO devices for a while and it was great, can't really fault it. The big night and day in Laserdiscs came recently for me when I imported a CLD-R7G.

Every time I spin a disc in the R7G and switch on the DEXT mode thing it makes me smile. I have it running over S Video up to the DVDO Edge. The combination of the two is superb. I didn't really believe the talk about it on the LDDB forums until I actually saw it for myself. Keep in mind though it also depends on how well mastered the disc you are playing is. Good audio, good picture and good kit and you'll wonder at certain times if you are watching something on par, or better than DVD (minus the horrid digital mosaicing).

Forget all of that for now else you'll end up down a rabbit hole. Enjoy watching your discs and enjoy your new DVDO Edge! :thumbup:

My 2950 does s-video but everyone says to stay away from it because it's poorer than composite. Shouldn't the deinterlacing stop a lot of the shimmering you see?

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 13:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think the R7G is one of the few exceptions to the rule when it comes to S Video on Laserdisc players apparently. You should hopefully see improvements with the DVDO Edge and the 2950 anyway and there's lots of fiddling with settings you can do as well to get it how you like it.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 16:39 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:

If you are looking for a recommendation there is a player currently on eBay UK which will deliver close to the best ntsc performance you can get; it’s a fully serviced Mackintosh MLD-7020 and when I last looked it’s at a bargain price for player of this calibre and in this condition, you wouldn’t believe you were watching the same discs when played on one of these!

That does look rather nice but it's a bit outside my budget. My wife won't be too pleased if I pick up another player. She can't understand why I've bought the first one!

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 17:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

strideristhebest wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:

If you are looking for a recommendation there is a player currently on eBay UK which will deliver close to the best ntsc performance you can get; it’s a fully serviced Mackintosh MLD-7020 and when I last looked it’s at a bargain price for player of this calibre and in this condition, you wouldn’t believe you were watching the same discs when played on one of these!

That does look rather nice but it's a bit outside my budget. My wife won't be too pleased if I pick up another player. She can't understand why I've bought the first one!

Haha...don’t worry I can fully understand, this I’m sure is the problem most of us here have with our wives of course :lol:

It is though an absolute bargain for someone if they land it for that money, must admit I’d love it for myself just to give my X9 a bit of company....
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 15:47 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well the top of the Edge is horrendously sticky but it's made a dramatic difference to how my films look and I've hardly tweaked with the settings at the moment.
All the shimmering that was prevalent in films like The Ghost And The Darkness is massively dialled down and the image certainly looks crisper than before.
I'm now trying to work out what aspect ratio settings I should be using. 4:3 Letterbox on the Edge seems to massively crop the image so I've currently got the image set to 4:3 on the Edge and Widescreen letterboxed on the TV.
Is there a way I can utilise the fullscreen without compromising the aspect ratio?
Is 16:9 16:9 okay?
Also does anyone have good standard settings for the Edge? I did have it on S-Video but composite seems slightly better to me.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 19:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

strideristhebest wrote:
Well the top of the Edge is horrendously sticky but it's made a dramatic difference to how my films look and I've hardly tweaked with the settings at the moment.
All the shimmering that was prevalent in films like The Ghost And The Darkness is massively dialled down and the image certainly looks crisper than before.
I'm now trying to work out what aspect ratio settings I should be using. 4:3 Letterbox on the Edge seems to massively crop the image so I've currently got the image set to 4:3 on the Edge and Widescreen letterboxed on the TV.
Is there a way I can utilise the fullscreen without compromising the aspect ratio?
Is 16:9 16:9 okay?
Also does anyone have good standard settings for the Edge? I did have it on S-Video but composite seems slightly better to me.

Regarding the cropping, have a play with the overscan adjustment also check the settings of any blanking that may be applied and adjust if necessary. The only way to go connection wise is composite as the Edges onboard comb filter is far superior to the 2950s, just the opposite if your player was an R7G as that has the best onboard comb filter of any LD player so s-video would be the way to go here, also make 2950 HQ Circuit is off!
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 19:33 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:

Regarding the cropping, have a play with the overscan adjustment also check the settings of any blanking that may be applied and adjust if necessary. The only way to go connection wise is composite as the Edges onboard comb filter is far superior to the 2950s, just the opposite if your player was an R7G as that has the best onboard comb filter of any LD player so s-video would be the way to go here, also make 2950 HQ Circuit is off!

What do you mean by blanking?
I’ve got the tv on 16:9 and have edge on 4:3 letterbox and that looks pretty good.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 19:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

strideristhebest wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:

What do you mean by blanking?
I’ve got the tv on 16:9 and have edge on 4:3 letterbox and that looks pretty good.

Disregard the blanking suggestion for now as I’m not sure if the edge has it but have you played with the underscan function yet which it certainly does have, as this may be set incorrectly and causing the cropping you mentioned?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 22:45 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have it on 4:3 letterbox and it looks good. It’s been worth it just for the deinterlacing.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 23:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Glad you have it up and running. I tend to leave it in 4:3 and very occasionally use 4:3 letterbox, it depends on what aspect the content is presented in. The panorama mode you find on the VP50 Pro is very good but still makes aspects look odd so I prefer to just live with the sidebars/windowboxes etc and keep the correct ratio.

4:3 letterbox is more of a pain for subtitled content as I find the image zooms correctly but it cuts off the end of the subtitles, leaving me more or less force to stick with 4:3 over 4:3 letterbox.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 01:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

teddanson wrote:
Glad you have it up and running. I tend to leave it in 4:3 and very occasionally use 4:3 letterbox, it depends on what aspect the content is presented in. The panorama mode you find on the VP50 Pro is very good but still makes aspects look odd so I prefer to just live with the sidebars/windowboxes etc and keep the correct ratio.

4:3 letterbox is more of a pain for subtitled content as I find the image zooms correctly but it cuts off the end of the subtitles, leaving me more or less force to stick with 4:3 over 4:3 letterbox.

Still tinkering but it seems solid. I’ve noticed a little bit of background breakup on textures like gravel, but it’s still better than all the shimmering I used to get. Do you mean 4:3 for both the edge aspect ratio and the actual tv? I find that a little too small and have been sticking with 4:3 letterbox. I did have romeo and Juliet at full screen and that looked pretty good.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 16:42 
Honest fan
Honest fan

It looks like there's an issue where it goes into Game mode whenever you skip chapters or pause, which seems weird.
I've dropped the film mode on my LG and changed the output to 1080P 25hz and that seems to eradicated most of the smearing/wobbling/break-up I was getting on Star Wars.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 17:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Which firmware version is your Edge on? Could possibly be a bug in that particular version.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 18:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

teddanson wrote:
Which firmware version is your Edge on? Could possibly be a bug in that particular version.

I'm not sure to be honest. Just looked at the information screen and there wasn't anything on there.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2021, 12:11 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

strideristhebest wrote:
It looks like there's an issue where it goes into Game mode whenever you skip chapters or pause, which seems weird.
I've dropped the film mode on my LG and changed the output to 1080P 25hz and that seems to eradicated most of the smearing/wobbling/break-up I was getting on Star Wars.

Very strange, this should not be. Try updating the firmware if there is a newer firmware version for your TV.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 01:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I was just tipped off to the Extron DSC-301 HD that uses the same chipset as the late-model Lumagens and easy/cheap to find. Does anyone have any experience with it, especially whether it supports aspect ratio zoom? The product info mentions "FILL" and "FOLLOW" mode, with "FOLLOW" maintaining the input aspect and "FILL" filling the screen... what it doesn't make clear is if "FILL" mode is zoom or if it is stretch. Does anyone know either way?

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 06:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Brought a Retrotink 2X so i can finally make use of my R7 via S-Video.
No issues or complaints, seems to do a fantastic job.
Can't compare to other upscalers but more than happy for its price point.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 21:30 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an Extron DSC-301 HD from eBay. A seller with 3 available (2 now) for $99 auto-accepted an offer for $80, so they probably would have taken less. This particular seller also includes the power adapter where most listings do not. Also grabbed a female RCA to male BNC adapter from Amazon for $4 that will likely be here before the Extron is.

I'll give it a try when I get it in and report back. My player (D504 clone) has dual composite outputs, so I can easily compare both my current path (Marantz AVR doing comb/AD/deinterlace to 480p 4:3 HDMI, projector doing further scaling and letterbox zoom) and the Extron quickly/easily and see if either has the edge.

The biggest question mark for me is if it will do letterbox zoom (since my projector will not for anything above 480p). For $80 shipped, I can be the guinea pig.

PostPosted: 02 May 2021, 21:36 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I have connected my Pioneer CLD-D515 using composite cables to my Yamaha RX-A1080 AV Receiver, connected to my LG OLED C7.

The only issue I have, is that my NTSC laserdiscs have "Grey Bars" instead of "Black Bars" and its noticeable due to watching on an OLED. However, my PAL laserdiscs are pure black.

Page 8 of 9 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next