It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:10

Page 7 of 9 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you using to upscale your LD Player on New 4K T
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2021, 00:18 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
Why is everybody running audio through these scalers???
Is there that much delay from audio to video when watching???
Does the scaler have a great audio pre amp or whatever it may be inside???

Why aren't you running audio to audio and video to video, less hassle, unless there is a delay from audio to video.

The delay can be pretty ridiculous with new TVs. Unless the receiver is pretty modern it won’t have a big enough buffer to compensate for the new TVs everyone wants. Processing adds more delay depending on what it is. My AVR only has so big of a buffer, I don’t remember how long it is, but you seriously need like 250ms for some people’s setups.

I agree, it’s basically crazy. I have no taste for it. I use vintage stuff so it’s never an issue. I’ve only ever known a relatively trouble free LD experience compared to most other member, it feels like. I use no scalers, an AVR that that has never heard of HDMI. I mainly just plug things in and watch movies. I consider speaker placement to be my biggest challenge.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2021, 00:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

OK my TV is still around 2012 or 13 but I've read about these lag issues in the past with delay devices when using a projector or something but
just can't believe there are more of these issues.

I've never experienced it to my knowledge but I've only run on smaller TVs under 36 inch, but even when I use my projector I don't run the audio into that and
then out into the amp, when I did last I should say, its been too long and there is still junk in the living room :(

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2021, 22:16 
Honest fan
Honest fan

teddanson wrote:
I have the VP50 Pro and the Edge. The VP50 Pro is great and packed with features, but the firmware is very buggy and I frequently have issues with analogue audio on it. The DVDO Edge (not the Green version) has a similar issue with audio but is quickly fixable by swapping the audio input and back again. No idea why it does it but there you go.

The Edge lacks a lot of the VP50 Pro features but to be honest the Edge does enough for me and the results are that good I'm considering moving the VP50 Pro on just purely because of the analogue audio bug. Maybe someone else will be okay with it who doesn't use Laserdiscs, but for me I'll stick with the Edge for now. Lumagen kit is lovely but way out of what I'm prepared to pay to fiddle with SD sources, plus I don't have the home setup to warrant getting the best out of it anyway. I just want to spin discs and spend less time fiddling and farting around. :thumbup:

I put in a request for a DVDO Duo and someone mentioned they have an edge. How do I know if it's the green version or not? Is it literally green?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2021, 22:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

They look exactly the same, except from what I can tell the remote control is different. Mine looks nothing like this one here, mine is silver for starters:

https://www.amazon.com/dvdo-high-defini ... b001oozu8i

The Green also has a different model number I think. Under the hood I'm not entirely sure of the differences, I think it's more around power consumption hence the Green name? I read somewhere many years ago that it wasn't the best for gaming with older video game consoles too due to the introduction of unacceptable lag.

Also, firmware is still available from DVDO here:

https://dvdo.com/products/legacy

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2021, 22:55 
Honest fan
Honest fan

teddanson wrote:
They look exactly the same, except from what I can tell the remote control is different. Mine looks nothing like this one here, mine is silver for starters:

The Green also has a different model number I think. Under the hood I'm not entirely sure of the differences, I think it's more around power consumption hence the Green name? I read somewhere many years ago that it wasn't the best for gaming with older video game consoles too due to the introduction of unacceptable lag.

Thanks. They're going to check if it's working and I'll go from there.
Sounds like it should do the job. If I can get it looking like my TV currently does in stamp mode I'll be more than happy.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2021, 23:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

strideristhebest wrote:
teddanson wrote:

Thanks. They're going to check if it's working and I'll go from there.
Sounds like it should do the job. If I can get it looking like my TV currently does in stamp mode I'll be more than happy.

It’ll transform your viewing experience without a doubt; the only bad thing about the Edge is the finish on the casing tends to break down and become a tacky mess, it doesn’t affect performance but it’s not nice to the touch - reckon the one Ted acquired has had some refinishing on the casework eh Ted?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 17:07 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:

It’ll transform your viewing experience without a doubt; the only bad thing about the Edge is the finish on the casing tends to break down and become a tacky mess, it doesn’t affect performance but it’s not nice to the touch - reckon the one Ted acquired has had some refinishing on the casework eh Ted?

One more thing does the edge scale up to 4K or will it just take the 480i to 1080P?

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 17:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

strideristhebest wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:

One more thing does the edge scale up to 4K or will it just take the 480i to 1080P?

I think it only does 1080 tops.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 18:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The DVDO units are 1080p except the really early stuff. 20/30/50/50Pro/Edge/Duo are all 1080p.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 19:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well that should be fine as 4K is simply 4 times the resolution.
Or I put the laser disc into the Edge, the Edge into the Pioneer (which scales to 4K) and then Pioneer into the LG.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 20:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Think I would send Edge directly to TV first, but obviously try it both ways then go with whichever looks best to you....
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 23:28 
Serious fan
Serious fan

1080p -> 4K scaling isn't all that difficult since it's an even multiple. You can try both the TV and the AVR, but I doubt you'll see much if any difference unless one is just particularly bad.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 21:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Right I have a DVDO Edge on the way from someone on AV Forums. Looking forward to seeing what it's capable of.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 23:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

strideristhebest wrote:
Right I have a DVDO Edge on the way from someone on AV Forums. Looking forward to seeing what it's capable of.

Nice move! You’ll soon be getting a better view of what the format is capable of then next thing will be the desire to get hold of a better NTSC player ;)

Keep us informed when it’s all hooked up :thumbup:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 00:54 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
strideristhebest wrote:

Nice move! You’ll soon be getting a better view of what the format is capable of then next thing will be the desire to get hold of a better NTSC player ;)

See, I thought the 2950 was one of the best pal players you could get.
What would you recommend?
I’m hoping this will remove some of the shimmering I see on edges and when the camera pans. Understand it needs a lot of tinkering with so should keep me busy for a while.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 09:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

strideristhebest wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:
strideristhebest wrote:

See, I thought the 2950 was one of the best pal players you could get.
What would you recommend?
I’m hoping this will remove some of the shimmering I see on edges and when the camera pans. Understand it needs a lot of tinkering with so should keep me busy for a while.

On PAL discs it is definitely one of the best, but a pretty low rent performer when it comes to NTSC sadly. The DVDO will look great when playing PAL discs and there will be a marked improvement with NTSC also but just not to the same degree.

If you are looking for a recommendation there is a player currently on eBay UK which will deliver close to the best ntsc performance you can get; it’s a fully serviced Mackintosh MLD-7020 and when I last looked it’s at a bargain price for player of this calibre and in this condition, you wouldn’t believe you were watching the same discs when played on one of these! Btw I’ve personally bought from this seller several times over the years and he’s a totally reputable guy so buy with confidence and he really knows how ship a player as you need to bear in mind that the Mackintosh is a 17kg beast of a player :thumbup:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 09:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

strideristhebest wrote:

Good stuff! Is it a Green or original edition?

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 10:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

teddanson wrote:
strideristhebest wrote:

Good stuff! Is it a Green or original edition?

I believe it's the original edition. The top is sticky but I believe that's a common issue with the machine.

Last edited by strideristhebest on 12 Mar 2021, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 10:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nice! Hopefully the rubbery coating on top is intact or treated else it can get all sticky and 'orrible.

It's a pretty straightforward device to plug in and get going with. You can tweak bits here and there but it's nowhere near the level of the VP50 Pro (for example). It should do everything you need it to. My VP50 Pro is in a box until I decide what to do with it. I use the Edge exclusively for Laserdisc, and the second output directly to a Hauppague HDPVR2 (the less common model with the Toslink input which can handle your Dolby and AC-3 stuffs).

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 11:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

teddanson wrote:
Nice! Hopefully the rubbery coating on top is intact or treated else it can get all sticky and 'orrible.

It's a pretty straightforward device to plug in and get going with. You can tweak bits here and there but it's nowhere near the level of the VP50 Pro (for example). It should do everything you need it to. My VP50 Pro is in a box until I decide what to do with it. I use the Edge exclusively for Laserdisc, and the second output directly to a Hauppague HDPVR2 (the less common model with the Toslink input which can handle your Dolby and AC-3 stuffs).

It's sticky sadly. He tried to clean it up and made a bit of a mess of it. It's not cheap (£170) but it does come with the original box and they don't seem to pop up too often on eBay. My wife has been complaining about how films look and refuses to watch anything so I'm hoping this solution will make her appreciate my new hobby a little more.

Page 7 of 9 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next