It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:53

Page 9 of 9 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: What are you using to upscale your LD Player on New 4K T
PostPosted: 02 May 2021, 21:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Sounds like a calibration issue... have you calibrated specific to the input for LD, either through the display or the AVR?

Post subject: Re: What are you using to upscale your LD Player on New 4K T
PostPosted: 07 May 2021, 18:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I got the Extron DSC-301 HD (along with a $4 Female RCA to BNC adapter from Amazon) earlier in the week and got it dialed in last night. It's definitely sharper in 1080p60 output than my combination of Marantz SR6011 AVR doing comb/AD/deinterlace over HDMI to my Epson 4000 projector scaling to 1080p and doing aspect ratio zoom. The added sharpness does bring out a little more noise, however.

I haven't tried letting the Extron output 480i and letting the Marantz or Epson scale from there yet, but it's on the to do list.
I'm going to experiment with both as it seems the Extron's deinterlacing isn't quite as good as the Marantz, but its Comb and possibly AD seems a bit better. I'll also experiment with letting the Marantz scale all the way to 4K60... the Epson projector defaults to the panel native 1080p when it receives a 1080p signal, but having the Marantz scale to 4K60 will, in turn, let the Epson engage its 4K shift as well.

The Extron doesn't have a specific letterbox zoom mode, only FOLLOW (native) and FILL (stretch)... but it does have full range horizontal and vertical size and position adjustment with 3 savepoints. Other calibration settings are pretty basic (Brightness/Contrast/Saturation/Hue/Sharpness) but I was able to dial things in pretty easily with Video Standard so I didn't have to make any adjustments on the projector (which has been ISF calibrated with both SDR and HDR savepoints).

So, all in all, nothing magical but I will say a worthy addition for the price paid ($80 shipped) and flexible solution for anyone with a digital display that lacks aspect ratio zoom, has subpar comb filtering, or otherwise needs a flexible (if not completely full-featured, no LUT or even individual color calibration) VP.

Page 9 of 9 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9