It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:18

Page 2 of 5 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sony MBD-XBR950
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2018, 19:32 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Now that I think about it, the problem might actually be with my LEDTV. It's a 1080p display, but it's likely that it only accepts 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p signals. It's not made to properly handle computer resolutions (it has no VGA input, just HDMI and a composite/component input) like 1365x768.

I'll try it on my plasma next which can handle 1366x768 resolution (after trying the DVI to HDMI cable on the LEDTV first.)

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2018, 06:40 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Okay so the DVI to HDMI cable didn't change anything on the LEDTV. Still squeezed things off to the left of the image a few inches no matter what video I fed to it.

Tried the box on the plasma, same issue.

Also tried it on a LCD computer monitor for good measure with LD and my Sega Saturn connected via S-Video. Same problem.

I did notice that the box power light doesn't stay green after you turn it on. It turns to a flashing red light, even though it is still sending video out.

All in all, I might just have a bum box.

You don't have this issue do you sgtdave?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2018, 09:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sorry to hear this

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2018, 10:26 
Site Admin
Site Admin

elahrairrah wrote:
Bad news - for some reason it sorta squeezes the image off to the left a couple inches or so. Tried changing the zoom and 4:3 settings, to no avail. Though it might be an issue with the LD player at first (you know that one problem that is reported of the early LX-900's and Runco LJR models of a portion of the right side of the image being cut off), but then I plugged a DVD recorder into the box via component and had the same problem.

Wild guessing here: since the scaler/screen was bundled together, could the scaler compensate for a specificity of the screen and, if you use scaler+screen together, it would render the picture normally?

Julien

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2018, 15:17 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

admin wrote:
Wild guessing here: since the scaler/screen was bundled together, could the scaler compensate for a specificity of the screen and, if you use scaler+screen together, it would render the picture normally?

Julien

That's why I asked if sgtdave has this issue. He didn't describe any issue like this in his initial post, soooo...

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2018, 19:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Have you tried programming a universal remote to see what kind of menu's you can access or can you get to it all from the front?

I should have mine in this week, very curious if I have the same issue and if so can I compensate with another processor?

Also is there any chance the DVI output is a DVI-I and you can also try a DVI - Component cable??

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2018, 20:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

elahrairrah wrote:
Okay so the DVI to HDMI cable didn't change anything on the LEDTV. Still squeezed things off to the left of the image a few inches no matter what video I fed to it.

Tried the box on the plasma, same issue.

Also tried it on a LCD computer monitor for good measure with LD and my Sega Saturn connected via S-Video. Same problem.

I did notice that the box power light doesn't stay green after you turn it on. It turns to a flashing red light, even though it is still sending video out.

All in all, I might just have a bum box.

You don't have this issue do you sgtdave?

I would assume the flashing red light is there for a reason. Either it’s pissed because it’s expecting to be mated only to the matching display (it is Sony after all...) or it it has an issue.

If I had to guess I’d speculate that if it isn’t the former, then the issue is the CMOS is corrupted, essentially sending all values to default, and you’ll need to fix it in the service menu. I’d check to see if it has a battery.

If another user can comment on the red light that would be great.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2018, 20:54 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Well I know WEGAs have a well known issue of a flashing red power light and the screen won't come on. The fix is a replacing a single chip.

It's possible that it's the same issue?

I might contact an authorized Sony repair center and see if they can take a look.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2018, 21:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Would be nice to start some type of topic about non DVD recorder scalers that are priced in this range.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2018, 22:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

elahrairrah wrote:
Well I know WEGAs have a well known issue of a flashing red power light and the screen won't come on. The fix is a replacing a single chip.

It's possible that it's the same issue?

I might contact an authorized Sony repair center and see if they can take a look.

Nope. No chance at all. :)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 01:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I programmed my Harmony for this and one of the options is horizontal shift, maybe that is your issue? Mine arrives tomorrow.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 02:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Okay so the DVI to HDMI cable didn't change anything on the LEDTV

Could anyone explain the "black" and "white" outputs on the Display Signal out?

To display to a modern TV all you would use is the white DVI-I out? Does the "black" connection carry some other information for projectors? I've never looked at a projector up close so not familar.

Here is what I'm talking about:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/23118 ... =24#manual

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 04:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well, if your "modern" TV actually has DVI, sure, that's all I'd use, but in truth nothing has come with DVI for ages. It wasn't on TVs very long. It was much more common with pro video and PCs.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 04:42 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

forper wrote:
Could anyone explain the "black" and "white" outputs on the Display Signal out?

To display to a modern TV all you would use is the white DVI-I out? Does the "black" connection carry some other information for projectors? I've never looked at a projector up close so not familar.

Here is what I'm talking about:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/23118 ... =24#manual

The box can take audio and video and pass it on to the Plasma display that it was intended for. The DVI is for video of course. The black connector is for audio.

I'm guessing this display and box came out before HDMI hit the consumer market.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 04:43 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

pbiancardi wrote:
I programmed my Harmony for this and one of the options is horizontal shift, maybe that is your issue? Mine arrives tomorrow.

Nah, I tried that. It didn't get rid of the black bar on the right side at all. Just moved the image behind the black bar on the right.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 20:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Got mine hooked up and it has the same picture issue (does OP not notice??). The picture is all there it is just horizontially squeezed and I can correct with my Lumagen (which reports an input resolution of 1408 x 792p). I agree the comb filter is amazing and in the few minutes I have played the picture is incredible also, just not sure how and if this can ever work without another processor to correct the picture. Also mine has the red flashing light also so my bet is its trying to communicate with a display.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 21:23 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

It would really suck if it doesn't want to work properly with any other display but the Sony plasmas it was intended for, but I wouldn't put it past Sony with their propensity to make things proprietary in the past.

I guess it wouldn't be too noticeable if you're watching a 4:3 image on a 16:9 display with this. It only make the black side bar on the right about an inch and a half bigger on my LEDTV and only slightly off center.

That's one whacked out resolution though.

I did try contacting a Sony authorized service center about the flashing red light. They responded that they "no longer service this unit." :cry:

There's one more near me, so I'll give them a shot in the off chance that this is a problem that these boxes are known for.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 21:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m wondering if the blinking red might may also mean that since the unit hasn’t been powered on in 15 years that it may have returned to factory defaults. That and the display coms theory are both possible. The image is presumably there and it is a DVI port so this should be fixable and still worth the effort.

If you’ve ever returned a late period WEGA to factory defaults you know the definition of “bricked”. Fixing it is...well I don’t know how to do it. They hand corrected every one at the factory so default values produce garbage geometry on every set. You NEVER want to pull that trigger. Plasma geometry is a simpler affair though so hopefully if it’s a similar issue it can just be adjusted out.

You’d need the service manual though and likely the OG remote.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 21:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’m wondering if the blinking red might may also mean that since the unit hasn’t been powered on in 15 years that it may have returned to factory defaults. That and the display coms theory are both possible. The image is presumably there and it is a DVI port so this should be fixable and still worth the effort.

If you’ve ever returned a late period WEGA to factory defaults you know the definition of “bricked”. Fixing it is...well I don’t know how to do it. They hand corrected every one at the factory so default values produce garbage geometry on every set. You NEVER want to pull that trigger. Plasma geometry is a simpler affair though so hopefully if it’s a similar issue it can just be adjusted out.

You’d need the service manual though and likely the OG remote.

I cant get a response from anything I program into my Harmony. On the bright side this thing is really cool and has a very good picture once I stretch it back to correct. All of the picture adjustments of a high end Wega, really cool piece.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 21:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

What if the blinking light means its not connected to a Sony Bologna device.

Page 2 of 5 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next