It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:57

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Best Lumagen 21x4 alternative
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 23:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

yes, I think that if you focus on one thing, you can do a very good job for not so much money.
For exemple, for 200$, OSSC now is doing better than any upscaler/deinterlacer for RGB video games.
Crystalio/lumagen/DVDO scalers are very expensive because they want to do multi task.
If a team were focusing on SD -> HD for RCA video source only (VHS/LD/VHD...), they can find lot of customers, and sell the best upscaler for not so much money. (espacially if you focus the advertisment on VHS. Lot of people would like to play again their old VCR, or digitize their movies)
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 23:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

mimylovesjapan wrote:
yes, I think that if you focus on one thing, you can do a very good job for not so much money.
For exemple, for 200$, OSSC now is doing better than any upscaler/deinterlacer for RGB video games.
Crystalio/lumagen/DVDO scalers are very expensive because they want to do multi task.
If a team were focusing on SD -> HD for RCA video source only (VHS/LD/VHD...), they can find lot of customers, and sell the best upscaler for not so much money. (espacially if you focus the advertisment on VHS. Lot of people would like to play again their old VCR, or digitize their movies)

On a chat with Jim, he ones told me the metal box for the Lumagen units cost close to $200 to manufacture. Sub $1000 is a dream for such a project. You want a low noise heavily shielded device for a noisy format like LD. This means thick copper/aluminum chasis/cover and heavy linear power supply with excellent regulations. These two alone you are looking at $500 on a limited production. Large fpga aren’t cheap and they will charge a ton for the pcb on small quantities. Add all this, $2000 is a realistic estimate. Don’t assume the copper and component cost as the only items. To find the right formula, we would have to try a ton of components and algorithms which all will cost money. I doubt it will sell more than 50 units in 1-3 years. All keep in mind, all this will improve Lumagen 2144 by %2-3 because it’s already near %95 there.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2018, 00:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Unless someone made a kit and you could get scrap copper sheets to make a box :lol:

Drilling holes and bolts or welding :crazy: :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018, 17:19 
Serious fan
Serious fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’d recomend a new Bravia for like $1000. Plug your LD player straight into it.
IMHO, with some new TVs you can go back to using nothing, such as the 2017 4K Bravia line.

I'd have to somewhat agree here. I have a 2015 Sony 4K and the composite input, de-interlacing and scaling are pretty damn good compared to my Faroudja DVP-1010 using the DVI (HDMI) output.

Thanks to dual video outputs of most LD players I often times switch back and forth from HDMI to composite just to justify using something between the payer and the monitor. It is VERY close.

I've set up both inputs using Video Essentials so they're both "calibrated". The Sony wins the SW test, but again not by much.

The Faroudja edges out the TV but just barely and I think it may be subjective in the end. If I didn't have the Faroudja DVP I'd be ok except for the FOMO aspect of video processors that cost $3K. I found the Faroudja locally for $125 so not much of risk there. I now feel that other than going to something out of my price range, I've got the best I can get out of LD on a LCD display.

To me the advantages of a "magic box" are: a more stable image (TBC?), better chroma, an HDMI input, no zooming in on widescreen movies.

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3