It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:08

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Troubleshooting Droupouts and Still Frame Jitter
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 02:53 
Second post
Second post

My Setup: CLD-97 Composite Out > DVDO Edge Green, 480P Out > HDMI input on Pioneer Receiver > Sony 4K TV

My problems:
1) Lots of video/audio dropouts where the receiver can't maintain a sync. This has always happened but somehow I feel that it's gotten worse recently. The player searches chapters very quickly so I don't think it's an alignment issue but I'm an LD novice!
2) Jitter when using the freeze frame feature of CAV discs. I can get a still image without jitter by putting an Extron YCS-100 composite to S-Video box between the LD player and DVDO, but then the colors are washed out and I have TERRIBLE dot crawl so I can't bring myself to use the Extron.

I have read all the threads about the high-end video processors and sadly cannot afford them at this time. I don't need the highest picture quality possible, I simply want to be able to watch LDs without 10-15 dropouts an hour. Any tips on how to keep the signal in sync? Bonus points if it can also maintain a STILL still image!

Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Droupouts and Still Frame Jitter
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 03:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What do you mean by "dropout" ? Do you have a picture or a video about your problem ?
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 07:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Use a CRT.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 10:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
Use a CRT.
8-)

Failing that have you tried straight composite to the TV? Been hearing some good things about the composite inputs on some 4K TV's.

If you use/need the Edge for aspect ratio adjustments have you tried bypassing the receiver? (The 'dropouts' might be some kind of HDMI handshake issue between the Edge/Receiver/TV??)

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 15:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

audioboyz1973 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Use a CRT.
8-)

Failing that have you tried straight composite to the TV? Been hearing some good things about the composite inputs on some 4K TV's.

If you use/need the Edge for aspect ratio adjustments have you tried bypassing the receiver? (The 'dropouts' might be some kind of HDMI handshake issue between the Edge/Receiver/TV??)

:thumbup:
Try this.

Don't forget that you are connecting old tech to new tech.
LD player works you just need to find correct connections.

Straight to TV is going to be best, don't play around too much with this other stuff.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 16:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah. All your troubles are almost certainly in the massive stack of stuff you’re putting the signal through. Try just plugging it into the TV and adding components in one at a time until you see the issue. (Aka: diagnosis) You don’t need high end 21st century products to use gear that predates them by decades. Modern group think has brainwashed people into thinking they need all that crap.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 17:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
(Aka: diagnosis)

Oh so true.
Personally I hate how much researching the issue you have and figuring it out has been lost to the "insta" generation.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 20:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s not the Instagenerarion, it’s the reboot generation. “Turning it off and on again” fixes most stuff now and if it doesn’t BUY THE NEW ONE ITS BETTERRRR.

When the new one introduces a problem...then it gets tricky.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 21:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Use a CRT.

Lots of good replies but this is the best. Not to derail the thread or tell the op what to do but LD looks wonderful on a nice crt.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2019, 06:10 
Second post
Second post

Thanks for all the comments!

gypsy wrote:
Use a CRT.

My dream is to have a large CRT and trust me, in my next house I'm going to have a full analog setup, but in my current space there literally isn't room.

mimylovesjapan wrote:
What do you mean by "dropout" ? Do you have a picture or a video about your problem ?

While playing, the screen goes black for 2-3 seconds and audio cuts out. The TV displays "No Signal" - as if it lost sync.

rein-o wrote:
have you tried straight composite to the TV?

I have, and it looks like garbage on my TV, sadly. It also exhibits the interlace "jittering" on CAV freeze frames when plugged into my TV direct over composite.

signofzeta wrote:
All your troubles are almost certainly in the massive stack of stuff you’re putting the signal through.

I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't consider it a massive stack. I have spent countless hours tinkering with my setup over the years and am very happy with the picture quality and quick aspect ratio/underscan adjustments I can do on the Edge. The receiver isn't doing anything other than making it more convenient to connect everything to my TV. I also don't consider myself part of the "reboot" generation. I'm not looking for quick fixes, I have sunk so much time into this hobby because I enjoy it and solving the problems that come along with it is part of the fun.

audioboyz1973 wrote:

This was great advice! I bypassed the receiver and watched a disc tonight and had a total of 3 of these dropouts as opposed to the 15-20 I got on the last couple discs I tried to watch when it was connected through the receiver. Of course, this is an intermittent problem so I'll need to watch a few more discs to see if the situation has improved. The strange thing is this setup worked perfectly for a few years with almost no problems so I'm trying to figure out what could have happened.

In addition, any advice to get a stable "jitter" free CAV freeze frame would be appreciated since I have that regardless if I use the edge, receiver, straight to TV, etc.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2019, 15:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Are you getting frame jitter on CAV discs from the improper 3/2 pulldown.

Was searching and can't find all the technical about it but even on some CLV discs you aren't going to get a crystal clear perfect image
like a DVD or Bluray. So it may be fine but you just don't know it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]