It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:22

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Getting the best picture when capturing LD to computer
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 02:54 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have several music LaserDiscs (concerts) that have either never been released on DVD, or the DVD quality is questionable and I feel like I can get a better picture from LD with the proper processing. I'm trying to figure out the best process to get the highest picture quality, and I'm sure some of you have been down this road before.

In the past I've never been fully happy with my results, but I think I've recently come up with a pretty decent chain of steps to get something nice... BUT I'm wondering if anybody has any further suggestions/changes. Maybe something I haven't considered?

Here's what I'm doing.

Connection: CLD-406 composite output --> Panasonic DMR-ES15 for good 3D comb filtering --> S-video to PC capture device

Record in Virtualdub at 720x480 lossless with Lagarith.

Filtering:
1. Stolyarevskiy Sergey's "Frequency Suppressor of the Noise 3.6.1" filter
2. Avisynth QTGMC deinterlacing.
3. Levels adjustment, depends on specific disc but usually stretching 16-236 to 0-255 works well
4. If the LD is particularly noisy, at this step I apply another one of Sergey's filters "Nonlinear Smoothing Loss-Free 3D matrix 3*3"

Any additional steps or alternate filter suggestions? I've tried quite a few different ones, but so far found Sergey's to be the best.

I also write software.

Post subject: Re: Getting the best picture when capturing LD to computer
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2020, 02:12 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Here's a sample of the quality I get with my current process.

http://108.61.202.214/laserdisc_sample.mkv

I think it looks pretty good, but there's still some minor noise that you can especially notice in very blue or red spots. I can't really seem to get rid of it without noticeably losing detail. Any tips for me, or is this pretty much the limit of what I can squeeze out of an LD? :lol:

I also write software.

PostPosted: 31 May 2020, 07:06 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks pretty good to me!

Some bleeding on the red flashy lights but it might be from the video master itself?

Julien

PostPosted: 31 May 2020, 18:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

mikechambers wrote:

I think it looks pretty good, but there's still some minor noise that you can especially notice in very blue or red spots. I can't really seem to get rid of it without noticeably losing detail. Any tips for me, or is this pretty much the limit of what I can squeeze out of an LD? :lol:

Could we have something to know if we are clicking on a link or downloading a file.
Don't need spam on my computer.

Curious but not that curious.

Don't mind watching something on youtube or the like but don't need to download virus from new members.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2020, 01:05 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I was casually browsing through SD capture cards and came across the AverMedia CE310B PCIe capture card. The description said "Outstanding 3D Y/C Separation" so I figured, might be worth a shot seeing how well it works for LD.

Just installed it and did the usual test capture with the Snell & Wilcox test pattern on VE using my CLD-97 through the composite connection. So far I'm pretty impressed, even with the supplied capture software.

Only problems are that if you're capturing an uncompressed AVI, the bitrate is a sky high 164,000kbps. The video editing software that I use can't work with it since the bitrate is so high.

Need to play with it a little more, but it is looking quite promising.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 07:27 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Ran across an odd defect of this Avermedia capture card. It apparently has macrovision enabled on it! Just tried to capture a VHS tape and the video kept blanking on me. Tried my older, inferior card and it worked fine.

Luckily though I do have a macrovision workaround box that I got off of ebay for like $20. Did the job just fine, but the picture wasn't completely stable.

Surprisingly though, I was hoping the Leitch DPS-575 would be able to defeat the macrovision, but it didn't.

Going VCR > DPS-575 > anti-macrovision box > AverMedia card did the job.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2021, 12:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I was casually browsing through SD capture cards and came across the AverMedia CE310B PCIe capture card. The description said "Outstanding 3D Y/C Separation" so I figured, might be worth a shot seeing how well it works for LD.

Just installed it and did the usual test capture with the Snell & Wilcox test pattern on VE using my CLD-97 through the composite connection. So far I'm pretty impressed, even with the supplied capture software.

Only problems are that if you're capturing an uncompressed AVI, the bitrate is a sky high 164,000kbps. The video editing software that I use can't work with it since the bitrate is so high.

Need to play with it a little more, but it is looking quite promising.

Are there comb filter adjustments for this board somewhere? I am getting nothing but horrendous checkerboarding with it. Much worse when sitting on a still frame but still way beyond acceptable when in motion. Are you not seeing similar results?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 06:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
mikechambers wrote:

Could we have something to know if we are clicking on a link or downloading a file.
Don't need spam on my computer.

Curious but not that curious.

Don't mind watching something on youtube or the like but don't need to download virus from new members.

You can't get a virus by downloading an MKV file.

But I didn't upload it to YouTube because their compression absolutely destroys video quality, especially for low resolution sources. It would have been pointless.

It's a clip from a 1992 Genesis concert LD.

Regardless, I've since employed the Neat Video 5 filter into my toolchain, which gives a huge increase in picture quality. It costs money, but it's basically magic and I wish I found it years ago. Other than NTSC chroma artifacts, the noise is gone with this filter.

I also write software.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 16:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well I wanted to see it but didn't want or need to download a file to my computer no matter what.
Thx

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2021, 17:51 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

pbiancardi wrote:
Are there comb filter adjustments for this board somewhere? I am getting nothing but horrendous checkerboarding with it. Much worse when sitting on a still frame but still way beyond acceptable when in motion. Are you not seeing similar results?

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing results like that. I'm using an LX-900 so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]