It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:32

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Inexpensive scaler with Zoom for letterbox
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2020, 23:18 
True fan
True fan

Key Digital iSync HD Scaler/Switcher *no longer functional*

dewdude had good luck with it until it broke. If you can find a working one for cheap then it will definitely resolve your problem.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2020, 23:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I found that thread and his results look promising. It seems easy to pick one up around $125 (the same as they were going for 8 years ago, apparently), so I'm going to wait/watch and try to get one under $100 since I have a workable solution in the meantime.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 19:57 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Looks like another option may be a RetroTink 2X-Mini, when it's released. It will do the comb and A/D and output 480i (or 480p) over HDMI for the XBox to scale/zoom (eliminating the need do the cable swapping I'm currently doing). Unfortunately, it looks to be a pretty basic 2D comb filter. I'm going to watch/wait for a good deal on a stand-alone VP (VPHD2, iSync HD, etc) and if I don't come across one by fall, I may pick up the RetroTink 2X-Mini for $69 then.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2020, 08:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Ended up fixing the problem getting a new projector that will zoom regardless of resolution (up to 1080p)... Epson 4000. So I'll go composite to my AVR, it will comb/deinterlace/scale to 1080p and then the projector can handle the zoom. The upgrade wasn't for this reason... I'm hoping to move to a 2.35:1 screen in the near future and the Epson has power lend zoom/focus with memory to facilitate that. I can't imagine a 2.35:1 LD looking all that great at 125" (~272 lines of resolution scaled to ~817 along with magnification of all the flaws inherent to the format and signal path).... but it will still be nice to be able to put a disc in and watch it without any hacky workarounds or investing in a stand-alone VP.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2020, 08:27 
True fan
True fan

Glad you sorted it. Composite straight into the new projector is certainly the least complicated way to solve the problem you had. I cant imagine it looking too great with LD either once zoomed to 2.35 but it's something I'd like to try one day. The thought of having a CIH set up in the home is just too appealing.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2020, 19:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'll still be letting the AVR Comb/A-D/Deinterlace (which it's actually pretty decent at) and output at 480p to the projector over HDMI. The projector doesn't have a composite input anyway, but it can do aspect ratio zoom for the HDMI input up to 480p and is supposedly a pretty decent scaler as well. By the time I'd upped my budget to $200 for the VP, I realized I could probably upgrade the projector for little-if-any more once I sell the old one... and gain a lot of other benefits in the process.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2