It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:35

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: DVDO VP50 Pro
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 16:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got a VP50 Pro on the way to me in the next few days. It will form both part of my permanent viewing setup and also be used to assist with capturing LD and VHS sources.

Just wondered if folks here could give me a few pointers on the following:

1. Can the VP50 Pro spit out video over HDMI and fire out audio separately via SPDIF and/or Phono? The idea being using an HDMI capture device purely for video, and my Zoom U-44 for audio and marry the two in Premiere Pro or Adobe Rush etc.
  2. Can you manually mask off the screen? For example, to mask a Widescreen LD that has Japanese subtitles outside the picture area. A good example being Star Wars Definitive Collection Box.
  3. Does anyone have any nice recommended settings for the VP50 Pro? Any interesting tweaks, tips etc?
  4. Tom Nook is Jim Jones isn't he?

Thanks all. :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: DVDO VP50 Pro
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 17:59 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

[list=1][*]Can the VP50 Pro spit out video over HDMI and fire out audio separately via SPDIF and/or Phono? The idea being using an HDMI capture device purely for video, and my Zoom U-44 for audio and marry the two in Premiere Pro or Adobe Rush etc.

Yes. You can send the video signal out from the VP50 via HDMI and the audio can be output from the phono digital out. This is so you can send the video to your TV/Monitor/Projector and the audio to your AV amp.

I have LD video signal (S-video or composite going into video input4 on vp50) and both analog (via l&r phono) and digital audio (via coaxial) going into the VP50, i then select via the vp50's OSD either the Video 4 (digital) or Stereo (analog) settings. The digital coax out from the VP50 is then fed into one input on my AV amp - so you have one input on your amp for BOTH LD analog and digital sound. I still then have to send the AC3 signal direct from my LD player to the amp via an RF demodulator. SO i have three audio feeds from the LD player, two going to the VP50, and the AC3 goes separately.

Any audio going through the VP50 will need to be lip synced (delayed) by about 90 - 110 ms (about a tenth of a second). The VP50 will calculate this delay automatically, but you can make fine adjustments manually using the VP50 settings menu.

[*]Can you manually mask off the screen? For example, to mask a Widescreen LD that has Japanese subtitles outside the picture area. A good example being Star Wars Definitive Collection Box.

Yes you can! its in the 'Borders' setting.

[*]Does anyone have any nice recommended settings for the VP50 Pro? Any interesting tweaks, tips etc?

It depends on the type, size and what your monitor/TV is. For example, I use a Pioneer 42in Plasma which has a 720 native display. Although the TV will happily receive a 1080p signal, the screen itself is 720. I have my VP50 set at 720p NTSC 60hz output.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 06:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I got the VP50Pro back when it was new, don't use it much anymore though.

In my experience, it does good inverse telecine on most live action movie LDs/DVDs, but it was crap for cartoons and anime and would show a bunch of jaggies and/or combing.

I also had audio problems (clipping maybe, been a while) when I tried to use its HDMI autput with analog audio input. HDMI input to SPDIF output might be fine, but you might want to do some tests to make sure it's not doing anything to the signal.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 20:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Received the 50 Pro today. Just set it up and ran a couple of tests. I'm short a toslink cable so haven't tested audio yet. It's a bit odd it isn't throwing the RCA audio over HDMI though. Am I missing something?

The rest of the device is magnificient. Star Wars borders applied to 'erase' the subtitles. AR modes tested etc.

I love it. I forgot what having a DVDO VP was like as it's been years since I had one, well two. I'd go for a Lumagen but I just don't see where I actually need one to justify the expense. Crazy enough I bought the VP50 Pro just for Laserdisc...and maybe my PS TV and/or PSP.

I just wish Star Wars Definitive Box didn't suffer from that pixelated VCD look so much though!

Really pleased with this though, it will make viewing and capturing my discs far more enjoyable I hope.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 21:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My 50 pro and Duo have been in use since the day I got them. I don't often use them for LD, but have on a few occasions. PSP with component out with help from a 50 pro is pretty solid! Helps to be able to zoom in otherwise it's really boxed in.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 21:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah to be honest the bog standard picture spat out isn't far off what my Philips can do. They see pretty evenly matched. The advances of technology I guess..

That said, it is all the extra trinkets the VP offers that makes it worthwhile imho.

I may join you on the PSP idea!

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2020, 22:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got it working, audio and all! I was about to throw it out the window until I realised my HDMI matrix had some sort of EDID bug that was muting the audio too!

Everything works great now. I definitely prefer the DVDO output over the already superb picture my Philips telly produces. Chiefly because of the options available.

For example, I played my Street Fighter DTS disc today and have it firing out 720x480p at 2:35:1 after adjusting the 480i input to 16:9 2:35:1 and it looks great to me. Correct me if I am.doing it wrong!

Usually I would just leave everything at 4:3 and what the TV spits out for me.

Happy so far with the DVDO though despitetge analogue audio bug!

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 17:05 
First post
First post

Hi,
hope you dont mind me tagging onto teddansons thread

New here but long time Laserdisc user (1996-2020)
I have just recently purchased a VP50 Pro, have only been experimenting at the moment as the Barrel Jack connector is very loose and will need replacing.
Quite the bit of kit!
Just finished enjoying True Lies with the picture scaled to fit my Monitor without the letterbox borders - Has been a while since I last watched

I think I know why everyones PSU gives up!
Have been powering it via my bench PSU, it has been drawing a shade over 4A @6V while upscaling 480i NTSC to 1080p60
When you put the VP into standby/off mode, it still draws a heafty 3.4A@ 6V from the PSU

I was wondering if Im missing out on much with my v1.04 firmware? Im reading about 1.05 but not been able to locate the files

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 21:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

juz400 wrote:

I think I know why everyones PSU gives up!
Have been powering it via my bench PSU, it has been drawing a shade over 4A @6V while upscaling 480i NTSC to 1080p60
When you put the VP into standby/off mode, it still draws a heafty 3.4A@ 6V from the PSU

I was wondering if Im missing out on much with my v1.04 firmware? Im reading about 1.05 but not been able to locate the files

Unless you have an issue or a specific need from a firmware change, it's fine to leave it alone.

As for the power, I unplug them when not in use for that reason.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2020, 10:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I picked up an eBay PSU recently and it seems to be working just fine. Ran in to a different problem now though and I can't tell if it's the VP50 Pro, the HDMI audio embedder or the CLD-D925. Basically I'm getting no sound at all.

So far my troubleshooting checklist has been:

• Try a different switch port.
  • Tried different EDID settings.
  • Remove the audio embedder and send digital (not analog) audio over HDMI.
  • Change out to new cables throughout
  • Factory reset the VP50 Pro
  • Take the entire rig apart and reseat every cable and plug in my system. CLD, embedder, VP50 Pro and Switch etc.
  • Connect spdif out on the CLD-D925 directly to my AVR

The only thing I haven't done is connect the CLD-D925 directly to my TV just to check audio works there. I'm running out of options, it's probably something simple I've missed but so far I'm still not getting any audio at all. Any ideas?

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2020, 11:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Fixed it. Feckin EDID issue again. Have it sorted and saved now. I'll document it so I don't forget. May help someone else too.

I'm such a dork. :lol: .......... :shock: .......... :? .......... :(

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021, 16:02 
Third post and above
Third post and above

unfortunatly the Composite Combfilter isn't great on the VP50pro

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]