It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Added a bit of fury to my setup
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2020, 17:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Received these today (the Dr packet is empty as I am already using it). The Vertex 2 is going to replace my CYP 6x2 Matrix as it's giving my a bunch of different issues with different devices. Also, my TV only does HDR10 and HDR10+ as well as being an 8bit+FRC panel. I'm going to customise the EDID on one of the outputs to force Dolby Vision metadata and also force my Sky Q box to detect my panel as 10bit for UHD.

The DVDO VP50 Pro will be hooked up to it too and in turn connected to the CLD-D925 for Laserdisc stuff. Hopefully the Vertex 2 will be fun to tinker around with as well as solve a few issues. Has anyone else used HD Fury devices for anything? I have done many moons ago with an HD Fury 2 or 3 (I forget which) for output conversion. It worked great.

Post subject: Re: Added a bit of fury to my setup
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2020, 00:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Can confirm the LLDV claims are 100% true. The Vertex 2 can indeed perform Dolby Vision to HDR conversion so a non-Dolby Vision display device can read and apply the metadata. Tried it with my Panasonic UB820 and 4K disc of 2001 A Space Odyssey and it worked! It's reasonably straightforward to set up and works perfect. Worked with Netflix too.

Going to test the CLD-D925 tomorrow on it via the VP50 Pro and fiddle with some settings. Solved my HDCP issues in my setup too, instantly.

The Vertex 2 is certainly a very impressive bit of kit so far imho.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2020, 14:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Can you compare DV+Conversion to HDR-10 Direct? I'm curious if I'd benefit feeding my non-DV front-projector (Epson 4000, isf Calibrated).

I considered an HD-Fury a few years back when I still had a 1080p projector (Epson 3000) to get 4K output from my Shield, which is a prerequisite for Dolby Atmos output from Vudu... but I decided that cost would be better funneled into other upgrades, and I ended up with a 4K projector not long after that anyway. Quite a few AVS folks swear by them and they often are able to fix extremely-specific niche issues effectively.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2020, 15:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

shopkins82 wrote:
Can you compare DV+Conversion to HDR-10 Direct? I'm curious if I'd benefit feeding my non-DV front-projector (Epson 4000, isf Calibrated).

I considered an HD-Fury a few years back when I still had a 1080p projector (Epson 3000) to get 4K output from my Shield, which is a prerequisite for Dolby Atmos output from Vudu... but I decided that cost would be better funneled into other upgrades, and I ended up with a 4K projector not long after that anyway. Quite a few AVS folks swear by them and they often are able to fix extremely-specific niche issues effectively.

I think you can yes. What you can do is configure all or some of your inputs to perform LLDV > HDR with a custom EDID configuration. Then on the output side you can use the Vertex 2 scaler settings to decide what you want each output port to do. So for example, your projector is in TX0 configured to perform LLDV > HDR. You have a TV connected to TX1 and using the scaler settings you can then choose for that port to ignore the TX0 output settings and run as a splitter. Or run in matrix mode and have both doing the same thing, or mix and match, it's up to you.

You can then customise each output mode further. Examples being 4K60, 4K30, 1080, 720, 460 etc and if you want to ignore specific flags, e.g. HDR, HDR10, LLDV etc. It goes even further than that. You can then set individual colour space and deep colour settings for each mode, or mix and match depending on what you want to do.

It doesn't stop there either because you can customise and override HDR and LLDV settings with your own. Examples being changing backlight, nits, colour data values and so on. So in essence you can make your own custom HDR/LLDV colour/data ranges to tweak your display if you don't like the way it handles HDR/LLDV content!

It's pretty mind boggling stuff and very powerful, hence the price. You get other tools built in too like auto switching and auto sense on difficult devices like PS4 and Nvidia Shield (a world first apparently). The downside for me at the moment is my 2015 Shield doesn't have Dolby Vision or Atmos ability. Nvidia decided to only have that on the new models, so if I want it I have to upgrade. I don't care for now as my Panasonic UB820 does enough. I was considering an Apple TV 4K, but I avoid the walled fruitgarden. Multiscreen apps are nice, but I'm not Elvis Presley. My 2015 Shield does enough and handles video and audio properly, unlike the Apple TV 4K. Plus Apple owes the Irish taxpayer €13bn so they can jog on.

Have a look at the manual here for more. :thumbup:

https://www.hdfury.com/docs/HDfuryVertex2.pdf

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2020, 13:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Another small update on the Vertex 2. I finally span a couple of Laserdiscs via the Vertex 2 and the results are excellent. But it's a switch? But it's a matrix? But it's made of eucalyptus and Nutella? But I fancy Hilda Ogden?

Yes. Maybe. But read on.

I know this device isn't a Lumagen, it isn't a DVDO and it isn't a Bruguiera sexangula just north of the Suez canal. But it's doing something to my discs.

Perhaps it's 'double scaling' (I'm coining my own term here) as the DVDO VP50 Pro takes the 480i/p/bmw/b&q/ici source and ramps it up to 1080P60 Locked. It's then coughed out in to a CYP audio embedder to cure the VP50 Pro analogue audio over HDMI bug and then meekly ejaculated from there in to the throbbing, gaping void of the Vertex 2's waiting HDMI ports. Now at this point, the Vertex 2 is capable of a bit of juicy scaling of it's own, although only if the source is 1080 (it can be 30 or 60 and individually selected. Scaling can be switched off altogether if you want). I'm not changing anything here, there's no HDR flags being written (you can actually do this if you want to and make an SDR source HDR10/HLG by forcing the flags and go further by customising the individual colour, brightness, nits, backlight yadda yadda yadda settings. I can't think of a scenario where you would actually want to do that, but there you have it.

So for the HDMI port that the DVDO VP50 Pro squirts all of it's lovely data in to, It's just set to follow the source but the Vertex 2 then takes that and applies upscaling to 4K60 (as the incoming output is 1080P59.999999999 to the nearest decimal point. It can do 4K30 too).

The end result is.... interesting. I'm not enough of an egghead to know what the heck is going on, but it's certainly making the picture look very appealing. Yes it's still an SDR analogue source and you cannot polish a turd and all the rest of it. But there is genuinely something going on, I just don't know what. For example, I tried out Mind's Eye and Heroic Trio yesterday evening. Mind's Eye looks absolutely fecking STAGGERING. It's obviously a very well mastered disc but Christ on a bike it just shone it's balls off on my mediocre setup!

I then tried Heroic Trio. I was a bit dubious at first as the opening titles looked awful, maybe Mind's Eye was a one-off. But again, it looked really well once the film was up and running. It's not a great pressing I think, the source is still soft and the audio is a little metallic for my liking, but it certainly looked a lot better than just feeding the player to my telly directly. I also tried out Angel III (looks like a straight transfer from the negatives with cue marks etc) which looked FANTASTIC. Then I tried out American Boyfriends. This one looked a bit washed out, like Heroic Trio, but in terms of the actual picture clarity, it was excellent. I'm sure if I took the time to ISF calibrate everything up they would look even better.

It wasn't all lemonade and rainbows though. I noticed a problem with autoswitching and autosense switching. I had a chat with HD Fury tech support who sent me an updated (unpublished) firmware to test. This seems to have solved the autoswitch and autosense issues, though I am still trying to force replicate the issue to make sure. So far so good!

Loving this Vertex 2 so far, it's seriously powerful and also seems to be doing something to my LD's. I just wish I knew what. Snake oil perhaps? I don't care, my discs look great. Lather me up! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2020, 15:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i too have intermittent issues with HDMI autoswitching, and i use only a single five-slot HDMI switchbox between sources and display...

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2020, 16:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

In this case it would appear to have been a firmware issue. The Vertex 2 shipped with 0.56 and worked fine. I updated it to 0.59 (latest) and had problems. Support gave me a newer 0.59 build (unpublished at present) to test and it now works fine again (for now).

As shopkins82 mentioned, these devices can fix some seriously niche issues, as well as perform some really powerful trickery on their own kit. I get what you're saying though. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2020, 16:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Jeez...I thought this was going to be about a subwoofer.

Another thread where I have almost zero understanding of what’s being discussed. It doesn’t seem all that furious though. Some sort of switcher box for HDMI gizmos? How much a** can that possibly kick?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2020, 17:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Jeez...I thought this was going to be about a subwoofer.

Another thread where I have almost zero understanding of what’s being discussed. It doesn’t seem all that furious though. Some sort of switcher box for HDMI gizmos? How much a** can that possibly kick?

It's so much more than a switch/matrix. Dynamic LLDV to HDR conversion frame by frame on a non LLDV panel is one of my favourite features of it.

Basically, I can now watch Dolby Vision content on my HDR10 telly without having to buy a new TV. I giess if you spend €300-500 on a new TV it makes little sense just for this feature. If you spend more then it is a worthy consideration.

Then there is all the other stuff it does. HDMI and HDCP fixes. EDID customisation. CS and DC customisation. Convert HDR content to display on an SDR panel.

Loads more stuff, that's just scratching the surface. It's so much more than a little 4 port switch or a 6x2 matrix etc.

They also make a 3D device that will allow you to turn your 2D display device in to a 3D one. A godsend considering 3DTV's ceased production in 2016.

You could go for a PSVR or Oculus Go 2 i guess, but's not the same experience. I have a PSVR and rarely use it, watched Jaws 3D on it once amd it was a mediocre experience (mediocre film aside).

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]