It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:04

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: I have 2 broken Sony EV-NS9000 (8mm) units: What now?
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2020, 08:04 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Back in February or March, I went on Yahoo! Auctions Japan in search of a high quality Video8/8mm tape player. Only problem was, I wanted it cheap, so I took a gamble on a unit that was reported to only turn on and its full functionality was not confirmed. I got it for a little over $150.

When I got it, low and behold, it turned on but the LED display was busted and I couldn't get any clear picture or audio.

Well, lesson learned. I guess I'll spend top dollar on it next time (this was after I realized it was beyond repair).

So after competing with several other users on a confirmed working unit at $600, I was super hyped to receive it. Even after the trauma of last time.

The first thing I do after I get it in the mail is plug it into the wall, and everything lights up! Including the LED board!

But oops, I guess they just "forgot" to mention that you can't get any video or audio signal after they just so happened to report that it was working perfectly.

Now that's two units that I can't do anything with. Needless to say, I'm furious.

The least I can do, I suppose is recoup what I can selling both units. Problem is, nobody's biting. Probably because 8mm isn't an everyday commodity, wasn't even such back in the day.

ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114518006721

Now, that said, a brand new issue of just one of these things cost 230,000 yen (over $2,000!) back in 1993 so I don't think that $300 for two that are only partially out of commission is not ludicrous, at least in my opinion. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The other reason I'm making it known here is because I'm wondering if there are any handymen (or women) that lurk on this forum and would be interested in PMing me an offer, just on the off chance that's the case. I could sort of do with the money to put into a new unit (3rd time's the charm, right?).

Here are photos of the two misfits: https://imgur.com/a/77L6A8r

Thanks for your time.

-N

Post subject: Re: I have 2 broken Sony EV-NS9000 (8mm) units: What now?
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2020, 12:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hi,

A while back I purchased a Sony MSC 4000 Muse decoder that I acquired very cheaply on eBay which similarly had all front panel leds functioning when powered up but other than that was as dead as a dodo. Your devices date from the exact same era and indeed have a very similar styling and could well be just suffering from some bad capacitors which turned out to be the case with my MSC 4000, I believe Sonys from this period in time were notorious for this problem. I got mine into a local electronics expert and even though he'd never worked on a Muse decoder previously managed nevertheless to bring it back to good health again. I was charged just £40 for the work! Is there not anyone local to you that could perform the same? Good luck!
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2020, 13:35 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
Hi,

A while back I purchased a Sony MSC 4000 Muse decoder that I acquired very cheaply on eBay which similarly had all front panel leds functioning when powered up but other than that was as dead as a dodo. Your devices date from the exact same era and indeed have a very similar styling and could well be just suffering from some bad capacitors which turned out to be the case with my MSC 4000, I believe Sonys from this period in time were notorious for this problem. I got mine into a local electronics expert and even though he'd never worked on a Muse decoder previously managed nevertheless to bring it back to good health again. I was charged just £40 for the work! Is there not anyone local to you that could perform the same? Good luck!

Hey there! I notice you too own a Pioneer HLD-X9, so I guess that makes us fraternal brothers. ^^

The problem is, I've gone to several of these repairmen. One's a crook, two are incompetent, and the other is admittedly untested, but is so busy, I can't afford to wait on him.

Let's focus on the crook first. He wanted $650 to make it "repairable." In Layman's terms, I would give him $650, he would see if he could actually get it to a watchable state, and if he couldn't, I don't get a penny back. And this is after I put down a $60 deposit for the estimate in the first place, which I don't get back either. Outrageous, isn't it.

Then there's this other guy who estimated it for free, but he kept it in his shop for months with no update. He would never answer the phone, I'd always have to drive across town to find anything out, and eventually, he just told me he couldn't fix it. Thanks for wasting my time. The other incompetent guy at least told me the same day, within a couple of hours that it was out of his scope to fix.

There is one more guy I could have given it to, but I'd rather cut my losses, get rid of these two junkers and buy a fresher unit. I actually did bid on one two weeks ago and won, but because of the high cost, it's pending payment.

Seems legit to me, but you never know. In any case, I wasn't lying when I said I could use the money.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2020, 14:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

nikoliberty wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:
Hi,

Hey there! I notice you too own a Pioneer HLD-X9, so I guess that makes us fraternal brothers. ^^

The problem is, I've gone to several of these repairmen. One's a crook, two are incompetent, and the other is admittedly untested, but is so busy, I can't afford to wait on him.

Let's focus on the crook first. He wanted $650 to make it "repairable." In Layman's terms, I would give him $650, he would see if he could actually get it to a watchable state, and if he couldn't, I don't get a penny back. And this is after I put down a $60 deposit for the estimate in the first place, which I don't get back either. Outrageous, isn't it.

Then there's this other guy who estimated it for free, but he kept it in his shop for months with no update. He would never answer the phone, I'd always have to drive across town to find anything out, and eventually, he just told me he couldn't fix it. Thanks for wasting my time. The other incompetent guy at least told me the same day, within a couple of hours that it was out of his scope to fix.

There is one more guy I could have given it to, but I'd rather cut my losses, get rid of these two junkers and buy a fresher unit. I actually did bid on one two weeks ago and won, but because of the high cost, it's pending payment.

Seems legit to me, but you never know. In any case, I wasn't lying when I said I could use the money.

Greetings brother :wave:

Ah right, that's really not a good situation then.....and here's naive me thinking that its only here that the rip-off merchants thrive! I reckon I'm really lucky then to have this repairman who doesn't even charge for estimates be based within 20 miles of me. I just hope for you that this 3rd player is healthy when it arrives, bad caps really do seem to be a common problem more than anything else, if I were you though I'd still be tempted to hold out for this last repair guy in the hope that he can do something positive at a reasonable cost. Hopefully if you do get a buyer on eBay then its problem solved though I'll just add that my broken MSC 4000 didn't attract any interest when I attempted to sell it on even offered for a pittance, hence me eventual taking the repair approach. Hoping it all works out well in the end for you :thumbup:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2020, 15:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think it was posted above but Sony stuff was notorious for having bad caps back in a certain time, probably when this player was made.
I remember Grasshopper telling me about the era of bad caps with a bunch of electronics around 1992-1997 or something like that.

Anyway tape decks are always harder to figure, I remember as a kid trying to take apart a really nice hi8 cam we had, SOL never got it working
even bought a few more on ebay to try and get donor parts, no go.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2020, 16:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m pretty amazed anyone would spend so much money buying such a risky product that has so few uses in even the rosiest of scenarios.

I sure hope you’re doing this so you can get the best archive possible of a tape you shot of the birth of your first child. Otherwise it’s hard to see this as anything but lighting cash on fire. When you find one that works, how long will it stay working? Maybe three years? And how much will you pay for the tape it will eventually eat as it dies?

Did your mom invent 8mm? Seriously, what’s the story?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2020, 18:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have a Sony LD player from the same year with faulty caps.

I would find someone reputable online that does VCR repairs and see if they would be willing to work on it.

FYI:

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2020, 22:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’m pretty amazed anyone would spend so much money buying such a risky product that has so few uses in even the rosiest of scenarios.

I sure hope you’re doing this so you can get the best archive possible of a tape you shot of the birth of your first child. Otherwise it’s hard to see this as anything but lighting cash on fire. When you find one that works, how long will it stay working? Maybe three years? And how much will you pay for the tape it will eventually eat as it dies?

Well, I gotta say, that's an absolutely stunning looking machine.

That's reason enough if you ask me.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2020, 07:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Cant help you but i must say thats a nice looking player
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2020, 14:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I can totally see the appeal of this machine to someone into video8/video Hi8.

But then you're talking about someone with multiple W-VHS decks!!

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2020, 02:01 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

signofzeta wrote:

Gee, don't flatter me too much.

Anyway, not only do I have a stack of home videos in this format, but I have a contact who taped a lot of stuff off of TV back in the day with 8mm. Plus, I'd like to get into the video transferring business if I can, if you must know.

So I think those are good enough reasons right there.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2020, 17:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well then you better have techs on hand to fix your gear and also learn yourself.
These pieces of equipment are OLD and the techs are GONE so get ready.

I would never start a business like this but good luck and get ready for some massive headaches when your machine eats aunt Matilda's
103rd birthday party and they sue you.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 22:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'm pretty sure that 12voltvids over at Youtube would have fixed it/them, since you are both in Canada. He has some great knowledge on these Hi8 and 8 mm players.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2020, 04:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
get ready for some massive headaches when your machine eats aunt Matilda's
103rd birthday party and they sue you.

Just saw this :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]