It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:00

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: 3LCD
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2021, 19:05 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Has anyone watched LDs using a 3LCD projector? How did it look compared to DLP and LCoS?

Post subject: Re: 3LCD
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 05:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Here two reviens I did about ont DLP, then a 3LCD.

LG HU80KS (HU80KA in other countries)

After seeing it at Yodobashi Camera, I decided to buy a LG HU80K. The render was fantastic with any source. But after some hours of testing, I had to resolve myself to sell it back, for the next reasons :

- First, the projector isn't designed for small rooms, even it it claims it. Because the lens adjustement doesn't offer enough settings. Only a mirror, and a 1.2x zoom. Then I could neither place it on the front of my sofa (too close from the screen), nor behind the sofa (too far from the screen)...

- Because of the lack of lens shift, I had to use the keystone option. I didn't like the affect of keystone : a trapezoid of light were projected above the screen.

- Finally, and this is very important experience for those who would like to by this model : This is a DLP projector. I thought that DLP technology was advanced enough to not be bothered by the rainbow effect. The HU80K picture was very very beautiful, but rainbow effect was clearly present, and I felt really bad (headaches, eyes tired) after watching movies more than 1 hour.
LG HU80KS : 7/10

+ Silent
+ Very beautiful resolution
+ Easy setting

- DLP technology (rainbow effect / eyes tired / headache)
- No lens shift
- Zoom range (only 1.2x)
- Too much visible Keystone

EPSON EH-TW8400 (EH-TW9400 in other countries)

Then I decided to sell my HU80KS, and buy an Epson EH-TW8400, a 3LCD projector in the same range of price. I was surprised, after the LG experience, to see so much option of lens shift with the Epson. I could place it behind my sofa, and set it perfectly to fit the image on the screen !
The image is a little bit lower resolution (4K enhanced instead if False 4K for the LG), but all the sources from LD to BD UHD, give a beautiful render. And bye bye the rainbow effect, and other bad effects from DLP.
I think my eyes are very sensible, and 3LCD is soft and fit perfectly to me.
There is ton of options to get a good picture, and i am still trying lot of different configuration.
The best setting I get until now for laserdisc is :

for movies :

LD player -> Lumagen 4K out -> Projector 4K enhanced, cinema mode.

for animation :

LD player -> Lumagen 1080p out -> Projector 1080p, soft animation mode (only possible on 1080p), cinema mode.

The image is far better than all I could get before with TVs or LCD screens with laserdiscs. I don't know why, maybe it is the projection effect, but all the flickering are gone, even in lumagen deinterlacer in "video mode", for every movies. As I can use lot of interesting effect with the lumagen in this mode, or "auto mode", I use no more "movie mode" (too much chance to get interlaced lines during the movie).
EPSON EH-TW8400 : 9/10

+ Soft and clean image
+ lens shift
+ lot of parameter can be setted

- fan noise (but my LD player and my lumagen in 4K mode are louder, then I don't mind)
- soft animation mode only on 1080p

2 yearling alter, on 2021, I can say that the EPSON was really a good decision. Everyday is a pleasure to watch movies on it. The image is soft and confortable. Cinéma at home.
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]