It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:55

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: The most expensive DVDO VP50 Pro power supply on Earth...
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2021, 14:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

So I tried a couple of times to replace the ailing PSU on my DVDO VP50 Pro. It's at the stage of impending death where it's making a whining sound after 5 minutes use. You could roast a duck on it.

Anyway, I tried a cheap knock off unit on eBay that lasted approximately 3 minutes 28 seconds before dying. It's in a recycling plant now somewhere.

Next I tried that Cyberdyne Systems crowd, or whoever they are, I forget now. The one folks on here recommended as the official supplier. I got halfway down the road with them and they ballsed up the order for an identical replacement PSU. I never bothered following up with Astro Cyberdyne or whatever there name is.

So I took a chance last week and contacted DVDO directly. They replied with "Yes. We have power supplies for your DVDO VP50 Pro. Would you like to buy one?".

Yes. Yes I bloody well would.

Punted the order in. Paid UPS an extortionate sum of money to ship it and it landed today with the most horrendous heartbreak tax slapped on it.

At this point I'm taking a break from writing this post. I just need to call The Samaritans. Go get yourself a cup of tea, have a nap or something then come back when you are ready.

Welcome back.

So this is what they sent me. It looks a lot better than the old brick they used to use. This damn thing cost an absolute fortune with all the stupid shipping and heartbreak tax slapped on to it so it better last! At least it's direct from DVDO and I hopefully have some sort of comeback if it goes wrong.

For Christ sake I wish the USA would sort out International shipping fees though. It's an absolute joke. I could ship a pallet of 100kg Anvils from Micronesia to me for a fraction of what this bloody thing cost to ship. FFS... :crazy:

Here it is anyway. I'm tempted to print this out and frame it.

Post subject: Re: The most expensive DVDO VP50 Pro power supply on Earth..
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021, 16:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Bummer you didn't get the Astrodyne one cheaper and faster but cool you actually got one (apparently made with 24K gold components inside for what it cost) from DVDO.

BTW I used to live on Kaua'i so I understand the plight of shipping strange old things to a small island in the middle of nowhere...

I'd keep the old one just in case you could have it fixed and uses it as a back up.

Enjoy!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]