It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:44

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Firmware and settings for LDs on the Crystalio II 3800
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2021, 22:57 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hey guys,

I know I will need to sort this out on my own via reading and trial-and-error, but are there any like "baseline" or "starter" settings that would help me get going on fine tuning the Crystalio II 3800 for a better LD picture?

I've searched online and the manual for explanations/descriptions on how all the settings affect the picture. I've experimented with several settings that have sliders, but I can really see how the picture is affected.

On another forum, a member specifically addresses settings on the Crystalio for LD viewing and mentions:

"There are 4 settings. Each setting is from 0-100 steps. They are:
Luma Gain
Chroma Gain
Luma Coring
Chroma Coring

Previously, I was using settings found here in other posts. While that was helpful it did not get me the results I had hoped for. So I re-read them and also re-read the TI TVP5160 3d Comb Filter Operation Guide and experimented on my own.

Here are my conclusions:

Think of Gain as a balance between 3D and 2D combing. Depending on the setting it defines how fast the filter switches between 3D/2D. But it doesn't just switch between them, it blends them together unless you're at the extreme ends like 1 or 100. In my mind I see it as a see-saw or a fulcrum. At 50 it has an equal bias toward either 3D or 2D and the change is blended so not a drastic change (no artifacts). At 1 it is locked to 3D all the time and at 100 it is locked to 2D. The switch is very visual and artifacts appear on screen. I have mine set somewhere between 25-50 depending on the disc. So a slight bias towards 3D combing."

This seemed like a good place to start. However, I don't see these settings in any menu.

Which brings out the point about the firmware. The unit has 1.24 right now and I noticed that the last one put out was 2.10. I have downloaded the newer version, but I'm a big believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Does anyone have any opinions on how that last firmware they put out behaves? Was it pretty solid??

Thanx again.

Post subject: Re: Firmware and settings for LDs on the Crystalio II 3800
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2021, 18:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

You should update to 2.10. There is no reason not to. In fact, there are several bugs fixed and features added so why hesitate?

From the substance post on the 3800 with the internal photos he mentions the settings he uses.

Both gains at 26 and both coring at 1 on a Kuro Plasma display.

As mentioned in your other post, both chips in the 3800 are not perfectly implemented or have inherent bugs that cause artifacts when de-interlacing.

I've always preferred the Faroudja chip in the 3800 for live-action movies, non-anime animation (Disney, WB, computer, etc) and also for things shot on video like live concerts or made for TV stuff like Nova, Nat Geo etc. I keep it on Film Mode 9. When it sees video it switches to DCDi.

The VXP chip is way way way inferior on my 4k LCD display. It just looks artifact-y all the time no matter what. 480, 720 or 1080 it all looks like a bad DVD. Switching to Faroudja is night and day for me. Very film-like and clear.

I admit the Lumagen 22xx series (and perhaps the EVAL board) is probably superior to the C2 3800 but since I'll never find one and won't pay what they're selling for it doesn't really matter to me. I did try a Lumagen XE and it SUUUUUCKED for composite input.

One thing to note that never gets mentioned is about the S&W pattern that we all use on Video Essentials to calibrate our systems; that sequence is an NTSC 525/60i VIDEO stream (the 3800 tells you that when you pull up the info). It isn't 24p film telecine'd to 60i so as far as decoding progressive frames from a movie shot on film and tuning your comb filter it may not be the best way to do that. If you have your 3800 set to the Faroudja chip and in Auto mode it will switch to DCDi when that test pattern comes up. When in DCDi I never see artifacts. Its perfect. For film however, it depends a lot on the mastering and your decoder. Its pretty damn good but there are certain things that will trip it up. A moving shot of a window with horizontal blinds can do it. AC vents, car grills, wide shots of trees/sand/dirt/ocean waves. Basically fine horizontal details trip it up. I can set the 3800 comb filter to be perfect on the S&W pattern then put in a film movie and need to change settings because...film. Test patterns are fun but the real test is actual footage.

I would also like to find a way to test/set the C2 gain and coring for movies shot on film other than trial and error. I've read the manual and the TVP data sheet, moved those sliders all over the place on several movies and still not totally satisfied that I know what I'm doing.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2021, 05:25 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

sonicboom wrote:
You should update to 2.10. There is no reason not to. In fact, there are several bugs fixed and features added so why hesitate?

From the substance post on the 3800 with the internal photos he mentions the settings he uses.

Both gains at 26 and both coring at 1 on a Kuro Plasma display.

As mentioned in your other post, both chips in the 3800 are not perfectly implemented or have inherent bugs that cause artifacts when de-interlacing.

I've always preferred the Faroudja chip in the 3800 for live-action movies, non-anime animation (Disney, WB, computer, etc) and also for things shot on video like live concerts or made for TV stuff like Nova, Nat Geo etc. I keep it on Film Mode 9. When it sees video it switches to DCDi.

The VXP chip is way way way inferior on my 4k LCD display. It just looks artifact-y all the time no matter what. 480, 720 or 1080 it all looks like a bad DVD. Switching to Faroudja is night and day for me. Very film-like and clear.

I admit the Lumagen 22xx series (and perhaps the EVAL board) is probably superior to the C2 3800 but since I'll never find one and won't pay what they're selling for it doesn't really matter to me. I did try a Lumagen XE and it SUUUUUCKED for composite input.

One thing to note that never gets mentioned is about the S&W pattern that we all use on Video Essentials to calibrate our systems; that sequence is an NTSC 525/60i VIDEO stream (the 3800 tells you that when you pull up the info). It isn't 24p film telecine'd to 60i so as far as decoding progressive frames from a movie shot on film and tuning your comb filter it may not be the best way to do that. If you have your 3800 set to the Faroudja chip and in Auto mode it will switch to DCDi when that test pattern comes up. When in DCDi I never see artifacts. Its perfect. For film however, it depends a lot on the mastering and your decoder. Its pretty damn good but there are certain things that will trip it up. A moving shot of a window with horizontal blinds can do it. AC vents, car grills, wide shots of trees/sand/dirt/ocean waves. Basically fine horizontal details trip it up. I can set the 3800 comb filter to be perfect on the S&W pattern then put in a film movie and need to change settings because...film. Test patterns are fun but the real test is actual footage.

I would also like to find a way to test/set the C2 gain and coring for movies shot on film other than trial and error. I've read the manual and the TVP data sheet, moved those sliders all over the place on several movies and still not totally satisfied that I know what I'm doing.

Awesome. Thanx. Updated to 2.10, now I see the Luma and Chroma gains and coring.

I'll try those settings you/substance suggested. I did notice that the S&W pattern deviated quite a bit from 26 gain and 1 coring suggestions, when I tried to tune it. Glad it's not just me. :?

I really appreciate the help. I'm a tinkerer by nature, so experimenting is fun for me, but having a starting point sure does help.

Hoping my buddy can find a 2124 to play with. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2021, 15:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Good luck on your testing. Report back with your results. I feel like the display is going to play a big part. Plasma vs. LCD vs. projector probably require different settings.

Also, with the exception of people who used projectors back in the day, almost everyone watched these on an interlaced CRT. They look great on those without any processing.

Getting them to look perfect on a digital display may be a exercise in futility depending on your idea of "perfect". It will never be as "perfect" as a DVD or HD streaming. Although we all know both of those are also flawed and compromised as well.

If I could get an EVAL board that would probably be the end of the line for me but even then I suspect it won't be "perfect" all the time. That's just the nature of the format. Even with new LP (vinyl) records and after a clean there will be *some* small imperfection that is audible. Not perfect.

Meh.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 07:55 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

sonicboom wrote:
Good luck on your testing. Report back with your results. I feel like the display is going to play a big part. Plasma vs. LCD vs. projector probably require different settings.

Also, with the exception of people who used projectors back in the day, almost everyone watched these on an interlaced CRT. They look great on those without any processing.

Getting them to look perfect on a digital display may be a exercise in futility depending on your idea of "perfect". It will never be as "perfect" as a DVD or HD streaming. Although we all know both of those are also flawed and compromised as well.

If I could get an EVAL board that would probably be the end of the line for me but even then I suspect it won't be "perfect" all the time. That's just the nature of the format. Even with new LP (vinyl) records and after a clean there will be *some* small imperfection that is audible. Not perfect.

Meh.

Well, I tried substance's detailed settings from this thread "Internal Photos of Crystalio II VPS-3800 Pro and VPS-3300" and they did improve the picture a bit. It's looks a little sharper and "filmy-er".

But you are spot on about the display. I still had my old Samsung plasma in the garage (I'd only replaced it very recently with the 4k display) so I hauled into the room and hooked it up. The picture was really nice on it. I can't really describe it. Like it was more "fluid", and the colors were richer. Too bad it has a line of dead pixels along the upper section or else I'd put it back up. :P

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]