It is currently 20 May 2019, 11:21




 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Lumagen Radiance XE in 2019?
PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 21:29 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2014, 19:25
Posts: 75
Location: United States
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time
I'm seeking advice or suggestions on acquiring a Lumagen Radiance XE. While the 21x4 series features a 3D comb filter the XE does not.

How do the XE or XE-3D models compare to the 21x4 series for LD playback on a 4K LCD display? Is it a waste of money and time?

Does the XE have that same Lumagen magic that the 21x4 series does or is that all the 3D filter? There seems to be a debate on 2D vs 3D comb filters. I understand that even a 3D comb filter is likely to be in 2D mode most of the time.

Ideally 480i NTSC in and 1080p24 YCbCr over HDMI out and a locked film mode is what I'm after. I'm not concerned with 4K output or 3D video. Passing DSD, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master would be nice but not required. I understand only the XE-3D will do that.

Thanks for sharing your opinions ;)
_________________
Kevin
CLD-D704|CLD-D406|DVL-V888|LX-900U|Faroudja DVP-1010|Yamaha APD-1|Sony XBR55X810C
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance XE in 2019?
PostPosted: 10 May 2019, 02:12 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 16:35
Posts: 473
Location: United States
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 24 times
sonicboom wrote:
I'm seeking advice or suggestions on acquiring a Lumagen Radiance XE. While the 21x4 series features a 3D comb filter the XE does not.

How do the XE or XE-3D models compare to the 21x4 series for LD playback on a 4K LCD display? Is it a waste of money and time?

Does the XE have that same Lumagen magic that the 21x4 series does or is that all the 3D filter? There seems to be a debate on 2D vs 3D comb filters. I understand that even a 3D comb filter is likely to be in 2D mode most of the time.

Ideally 480i NTSC in and 1080p24 YCbCr over HDMI out and a locked film mode is what I'm after. I'm not concerned with 4K output or 3D video. Passing DSD, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master would be nice but not required. I understand only the XE-3D will do that.

Thanks for sharing your opinions ;)


I use a Radiance XE because I use a Crystalio II first so the XE does all scaling and color correction which it does very well. I recently aquired a CLD-R7G player which looks pretty amazing with SVideo right to the XE so it can certainly work well with the right players SVideo output or another separate comb filter in front of it.
_________________
HLD-X0
Panasonic LX-HD20
Sony HIL-C2EX
Sony HIL-C1
Pioneer HLD-X9
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance XE in 2019?
PostPosted: 10 May 2019, 02:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 5490
Location: United States
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 80 times
While some didn't like the R7G I have to say its one of the best underrated LD players.

Running that straight into a projector with S-video gave an amazing picture, one of the best.
While I no longer own that player and do like what I own now I feel that was a top 3 player under 500-600 at the end of the LD era.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance XE in 2019?
PostPosted: 10 May 2019, 16:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2014, 19:25
Posts: 75
Location: United States
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time
pbiancardi wrote:
I use a Radiance XE because I use a Crystalio II first so the XE does all scaling and color correction which it does very well. I recently aquired a CLD-R7G player which looks pretty amazing with SVideo right to the XE so it can certainly work well with the right players SVideo output or another separate comb filter in front of it.

OK, so none of my players have an amazing S-Video out and I doubt I'll be getting a C2. I'm good on players so I won't be looking at a CLD-R7G or anything like that unless it falls in my lap. I assume the 2D filter in the XE to out perform the one in the player (704, V888 or 900U)? Have you used the composite in and had poor results?

Do you think that it will be a better overall improvement over Composite->DVP-1010? It too only has a 2D filter and outputs 720p/60.

Thanks man, I'm just weighing the options of spending money on things like this or just keep waiting for something else which would only be more money. Or just be happy with where I'm at which is pretty good but I'm always trying to improve.
_________________
Kevin
CLD-D704|CLD-D406|DVL-V888|LX-900U|Faroudja DVP-1010|Yamaha APD-1|Sony XBR55X810C
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance XE in 2019?
PostPosted: 10 May 2019, 18:19 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 16:35
Posts: 473
Location: United States
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 24 times
rein-o wrote:
While some didn't like the R7G I have to say its one of the best underrated LD players.

Running that straight into a projector with S-video gave an amazing picture, one of the best.
While I no longer own that player and do like what I own now I feel that was a top 3 player under 500-600 at the end of the LD era.


I was really surprised, its so compact and when you open it up there is very little to it, but really great picture via S-Video. Also these can be had for under $300 plus shipping these days...


Last edited by pbiancardi on 10 May 2019, 18:21, edited 1 time in total. _________________
HLD-X0
Panasonic LX-HD20
Sony HIL-C2EX
Sony HIL-C1
Pioneer HLD-X9
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance XE in 2019?
PostPosted: 10 May 2019, 18:20 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 16:35
Posts: 473
Location: United States
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 24 times
sonicboom wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:
I use a Radiance XE because I use a Crystalio II first so the XE does all scaling and color correction which it does very well. I recently aquired a CLD-R7G player which looks pretty amazing with SVideo right to the XE so it can certainly work well with the right players SVideo output or another separate comb filter in front of it.

OK, so none of my players have an amazing S-Video out and I doubt I'll be getting a C2. I'm good on players so I won't be looking at a CLD-R7G or anything like that unless it falls in my lap. I assume the 2D filter in the XE to out perform the one in the player (704, V888 or 900U)? Have you used the composite in and had poor results?

Do you think that it will be a better overall improvement over Composite->DVP-1010? It too only has a 2D filter and outputs 720p/60.

Thanks man, I'm just weighing the options of spending money on things like this or just keep waiting for something else which would only be more money. Or just be happy with where I'm at which is pretty good but I'm always trying to improve.


That is really hard to say, its so much preference and a lot of the differences are very subtle. I would bet the Lumagen on its own > 1010 but I have never compared the two. I have never actually tried the composite into the XE as I have no reason to, sorry I can't help more.
_________________
HLD-X0
Panasonic LX-HD20
Sony HIL-C2EX
Sony HIL-C1
Pioneer HLD-X9
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance XE in 2019?
PostPosted: 10 May 2019, 19:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 5490
Location: United States
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 80 times
pbiancardi wrote:

I was really surprised, its so compact and when you open it up there is very little to it, but really great picture via S-Video. Also these can be had for under $300 plus shipping these days...

Yes, I've seen some cheap from Japan now, but they were in that higher range.
Still a very good player, back when Duncan was around he even preferred the image of the R7G to the S9.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance XE in 2019?
PostPosted: 10 May 2019, 20:49 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2014, 19:25
Posts: 75
Location: United States
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time
pbiancardi wrote:
That is really hard to say, its so much preference and a lot of the differences are very subtle. I would bet the Lumagen on its own > 1010 but I have never compared the two. I have never actually tried the composite into the XE as I have no reason to, sorry I can't help more.


Got it. Yeah I'm also thinking the XE is better in almost every way. We'll see how it plays out. Thanks for your thoughts.
_________________
Kevin
CLD-D704|CLD-D406|DVL-V888|LX-900U|Faroudja DVP-1010|Yamaha APD-1|Sony XBR55X810C
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: miskia and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: